Universal Love Ranking the Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

2023: obviously brilliant to win a close one, despite the late Charlie scare. The quality of nearly all the goals and most of the play from both teams makes it, from a pure football sense, the best of the lot.

I’ll add that winning it this year somewhat vindicates, or at least allows us to look back on the feats of the 2022 team with more joy. If this team had gone on to do nothing this year, that run last year kind of gets lost, or becomes an anomaly that either gets forgotten or only recalled as a “what if”. Now those close wins and clutch moments spread out over two glorious seasons, building to triumph. The heartbreak we’ve caused the league is also multiplied. Breaking Carlton hearts last year, winning it this year, knocking off Essemdon with that E2E goal, knocking Port and Melbourne off their perches, it closes the book on so many snipes from Collingwood haters, and helps heal some of our wounds.

2010: man I love that team. Just all time favorites, despite some post footy things for a few of them that make them a tad less palatable. In contrast with 2023, I feel 2010 gets tainted in my mind due to the 2011 season and how we Collingwooded our way out of B2B.

1990: vague memories of dad watching the game, maybe getting a bit emotional

2023: obviously brilliant to win a close one, despite the late Charlie scare. The quality of nearly all the goals and most of the play from both teams makes it, from a pure football sense, the best of the lot.

I’ll add that winning it this year somewhat vindicates, or at least allows us to look back on the feats of the 2022 team with more joy. If this team had gone on to do nothing this year, that run last year kind of gets lost, or becomes an anomaly that either gets forgotten or only recalled as a “what if”. Now those close wins and clutch moments spread out over two glorious seasons, building to triumph. The heartbreak we’ve caused the league is also multiplied. Breaking Carlton hearts last year, winning it this year, knocking off Essemdon with that E2E goal, knocking Port and Melbourne off their perches, it closes the book on so many snipes from Collingwood haters, and helps heal some of our wounds.

2010: man I love that team. Just all time favorites, despite some post footy things for a few of them that make them a tad less palatable. In contrast with 2023, I feel 2010 gets tainted in my mind due to the 2011 season and how we Collingwooded our way out of B2B.

1990: vague memories of dad watching the game, maybe getting a bit emotional
Great points re the 2023 flag vindicating 2022 year, especially the Carlton game and knocking them out of the finals:) Almost as good as a flag that:)

So Happy for Daicos,Banks and T.Shaw winning a premiership,after there heartbreak in previous years 79,80 and 81.(note not sure if all played in those games)
Bit sad that I had left high school at that stage would have been great to go back and stir up the Carlton and Richmond kids and dish it out.

2023 by a country mile. I waited my whole life for 1990 (I was born the week we won in 1958.) It was an anti climax. We were stuck on the top level of a windy, roofless and soulless southern stand and surrounded by champagne sipping theatre goers (Swan supporters) who chatted and laughed throughout, The atmoshphere was disappointing in our area as the wind swept the noise away.

It was a scrappy affair which never really gave the fans the opportunity to become involved. Luckily, we got a couple at the very end of the last quarter. I felt strangely disassociated from the players celebrating on the ground. It was a weird experience after waiting so long and shedding so many tears after GF losses it had the feeling of that song-"Is that all there is?"

2010 would have been superb if we'd got home in the drawn game. The following week was joyful, but we had it in the bag for a long time out from the end and I think this dilutes the excitement and adrenaline to a degree. Still much better than 1990.

2023 was perfect. The two unprecedented seasons which came from nowhere. A brilliant game plan and lovable coach who invited us all into the inner sanctum and shared the ride with us like no other coach in our history. The actual players were so engaged and connected to the supporters. The game was high quality and we got over the line for the first time in a close grand final. I'm still feeling the afterglow and want more! 2023 gave me the emotional experience I had been looking for and hoping for for so long.

1) 2023 - I've never been moved by a sporting result like I have for this game. Everyone here already knows how good it was.

2) 2010 - First one we won where I gave a stuff about footy. It was one of the best eras for us fans, and had all the drama with the draw making it more exiting. The coaching turmoil that followed still bothers me sometimes though. Makes 2023 more sweeter I suppose, since we're now well and truly "on the other side" of that era I suppose.

3) 1990 - I was only 5 years old at the time, and not especially into footy. I knew Collingwood was my team though, due to my (much) older brother and my best mate. My parents are from interstate and aren't really into sports anyway, so I was basically as excited as they were, which is to say "not that much". I remember my Dad saying to me "did you hear Collingwood won the Grand Final today?" and all I said was "Okay. Cool". I had no appreciation what so ever for what that meant! What the hell is a Grand Final?

Given the age of most posters, I assume most here have seen 2 or 3 flags in their lifetime.

Of course there's exceptional circumstances for those who are old enough to have witnessed 1958 and maybe even 1953.

All premierships are fantastic, but I'm sure there's always a favourite one that you look back upon with that extra sense of fondness. How do you rank the premierships you've witnessed in terms of personal favouritism?
The next one will be sweet.

1927, 28, 29 30
Oh yeah. 1927 when we kicked 2.13 to 1.7 in a 'thriller'. :p

1st - 2023 was a particularly difficult year, with a particular black and white ray of sunshine piercing the grey clouds. So many twists and turns, so many stories, so much drama with everything going on. We lost key players, we battled sickness, we zagged when we should have zigged. Except for the last 3 matches of the year when our nerves steadied. So much so I had - for the first time - confidence in our ability to win. Even with Charlie Cameron's 5min to go snap, I still felt like we'd find a way. And it was a crackerjack match even for a neutral.

2nd - In 2010 I missed out on going, got a hotel room with my wife and watched it in bed naked with a bottle of vodka. Needless to say the whole day was anticlimactic... But the NEXT week, my best mate found me tickets and I went with another Pies tragic and watched magic unfold. Much celebration. Took the train home, rode my bike around Geelong and loudly sung the theme song for an hour before going home.

3rd - In 1990 I was in my art-school phase so I stupidly missed everything. I look back at it and know in my heart I would have absolutely loved it, but was not to be. Still also a great grudge match against some pretty salty bombers.

Oh yeah. 1927 when we kicked 2.13 to 1.7 in a 'thriller'. :p

1st - 2023 was a particularly difficult year, with a particular black and white ray of sunshine piercing the grey clouds. So many twists and turns, so many stories, so much drama with everything going on. We lost key players, we battled sickness, we zagged when we should have zigged. Except for the last 3 matches of the year when our nerves steadied. So much so I had - for the first time - confidence in our ability to win. Even with Charlie Cameron's 5min to go snap, I still felt like we'd find a way. And it was a crackerjack match even for a neutral.

2nd - In 2010 I missed out on going, got a hotel room with my wife and watched it in bed naked with a bottle of vodka. Needless to say the whole day was anticlimactic... But the NEXT week, my best mate found me tickets and I went with another Pies tragic and watched magic unfold. Much celebration. Took the train home, rode my bike around Geelong and loudly sung the theme song for an hour before going home.

3rd - In 1990 I was in my art-school phase so I stupidly missed everything. I look back at it and know in my heart I would have absolutely loved it, but was not to be. Still also a great grudge match against some pretty salty bombers.
When you put those 4 premierships together in a row. Awesomeness 👌
I couldn't give a clap that I was not there.
Out of the ones I've seen 1990, 2010, 2023 I rate them equally.
Loved them all

1990 was special because it ended 32 years of heartbreak - I'll never forget seeing Pants throw the ball in the air at the final siren.
The following year I think our boys celebrated too hard & we lost Pants.

2010 was the year I told everyone that we would win the flag, because I would be overseas on Grand Final day.
I was in Beaune for the first and Versailles for the second. The librarian moment was when we knew we would win.

This year was the most enjoyable because it was the culmination of a 2 year wild ride that we were taken on by our lovable everyman coach, and our exciting game style.
My 9 year old son knows no other, bless him. I hope he experiences more flags in his lifetime than I have in mine.

Favourite? Do you have a favourite child?

I love them all.

There may be some Collingwood supporting 96 year olds, who have been on planet earth, while the Magpies have attained the ultimate prize eleven times. Let's hope that these are all fresh in their collective memories and act as a panacea against the ravages of dementia. By the time, they receive a congratulatory telegram from King Charles ( or probably William), may the beloved Black and White increase their advantage over the despised enemies by 4. Having not reached nonagenarian status like the above, I have been on this mortal coil for a quintet of premiership successes. I was a toddler when the Lou Richards led team triumphed over the Pivotonians, so no real memory except for my beloved mother with a smile that could not be wiped off her face
Beautiful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 1990 I had an overwhelming feeling that it was going to be our year. In hndsight, the game was always ours, but so many experiences previously suggested that anything could happen. Although I thought Matthews came down the race and started punching the air all too soon, it was the sweetest feeling.

I had the same positive expectation about 2010 so I flew down from Qld, paid a premium for a package (North Meb=lbourne breakfast and tickets for my son and I) to witness the glory. You can imagine my suffering when we could only muster a draw. The following week, back in Qld watching on TV, when Heater smothered that kick, I knew.

This year, 2023, I had no such expectations - I always felt that 2024 would be our year (and it may well be still!) I did post on here after the Brisbane game at Marvel that I had seen enough and was confident that we could take them at the 'G'. I was quietly confident that we would get the chocolates but I was getting severe flashbacks about missed opportunities from years gone by. Every missed goal compounded the anxiety.

By all accounts, the 1958 Premiership was one to behold. Being rank underdogs and facing a rampaging Melbourne team who were looking to replicate our four in a row was a monumental task. To 'steal' that one and stop the toffs from matching our record, wiping the smugness from their collective faces and dancing when we had (by all accounts) no right to, must have been stunning to experience. Had Collingwood experienced the devastation of so many losses prior then 1958 flag would have made that year's victory even sweeter.

1. 1958
2. 1990
3. 2023
4. 2010

In 1990 I had an overwhelming feeling that it was going to be our year. In hndsight, the game was always ours, but so many experiences previously suggested that anything could happen. Although I thought Matthews came down the race and started punching the air all too soon, it was the sweetest feeling.

I had the same positive expectation about 2010 so I flew down from Qld, paid a premium for a package (North Meb=lbourne breakfast and tickets for my son and I) to witness the glory. You can imagine my suffering when we could only muster a draw. The following week, back in Qld watching on TV, when Heater smothered that kick, I knew.

This year, 2023, I had no such expectations - I always felt that 2024 would be our year (and it may well be still!) I did post on here after the Brisbane game at Marvel that I had seen enough and was confident that we could take them at the 'G'. I was quietly confident that we would get the chocolates but I was getting severe flashbacks about missed opportunities from years gone by. Every missed goal compounded the anxiety.

By all accounts, the 1958 Premiership was one to behold. Being rank underdogs and facing a rampaging Melbourne team who were looking to replicate our four in a row was a monumental task. To 'steal' that one and stop the toffs from matching our record, wiping the smugness from their collective faces and dancing when we had (by all accounts) no right to, must have been stunning to experience. Had Collingwood experienced the devastation of so many losses prior then 1958 flag would have made that year's victory even sweeter.

1. 1958
2. 1990
3. 2023
4. 2010
The Weed and Thorold Merrett were amongst our best that day in 1958.
It's great that Thorold has lived long enough to witness the next 3.

Last edited:
So you do have a heart.

well you lived it. It was like taking off a ten ton weight. I didnt actually believe that we would win until dougie barwick kicked that goal....and yet essendon never looked like it other than if they managed to concuss half our team.

And here's the key point... I had allowed someone close to me to become a cats supporter and I showered pie stuff on them post win and they turned...before that game I was happy for them to follow a different path because it hadnt brought me much joy.

I cried in 2023 and did not shed a tear in 1990!

Domie, that only proves that you've become a weepy emotional old man... dont take it personally....a lot of us old boys weep uncontrollably when we're watching sentimental movies like the bridges on madison county...if you havent seen it, schedule a date night with the wife...

Domie, that only proves that you've become a weepy emotional old man... dont take it personally....a lot of us old boys weep uncontrollably when we're watching sentimental movies like the bridges on madison county...if you havent seen it, schedule a date night with the wife...
That's me! But I was a weepy young man! Goodbye Mr Chips (the original) The Yearling (the original) Captains Courageous and of course Field of Dreams get the tears flowing every time. :)

That's me! But I was a weepy young man! Goodbye Mr Chips (the original) The Yearling (the original) Captains Courageous and of course Field of Dreams get the tears flowing every time. :)

field of dreams easy smeasy.....i cried when costner recreated the game a couple of years back and didnt even go back to the same field...

1. 1990

2. 2010 & 2023

* 2018 (we were robbed)

But if they had of won 2018 then imo I doubt 2023 happens…

bucks would still likely be the senior coach and they’d still be playing pedestrian retaining possession football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back