Universal Love Ranking the Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Given the age of most posters, I assume most here have seen 2 or 3 flags in their lifetime.

Of course there's exceptional circumstances for those who are old enough to have witnessed 1958 and maybe even 1953.

All premierships are fantastic, but I'm sure there's always a favourite one that you look back upon with that extra sense of fondness. How do you rank the premierships you've witnessed in terms of personal favouritism?

1). 2023 = My favourite premiership. Finally experienced a close Grand Final victory after so many heartbreaking defeats over the years. The style of play under Fly was breathtaking, we levelled up the premiership tally after 40+ years and we won a Grand Final in September after 65 years. The clutch moments from De Goey and Sidebottom in the final quarter is the stuff of legends. An absolute dream come true!

2). 2010 = A unique set of circumstances that will never be repeated with the Grand Final Replay now being scrapped. The main reason I wouldn't rank it above 2023 is the fact that we drew in the first Grand Final. However, the satisfaction of breaking the drought after 20 years is not lost on me. Heath Shaw's smother was the turning point and we never looked back.

Last edited:

2023 had more moments, but personally 2010 stands out as it is the first I attended and really remember plus we came close a few times leading up. I was too young in 1990 to appreciate the significance.

2023 easily the best. Finally winning a close one despite the feeling of impending doom after Cameron's goal. Can l say the word dynasty for 3rd time lucky.

1990 the drought breaker after the devastation of 70, 77, 79, 80 and 81. Too young to remember 60, 64 and 66.

2010 where we nearly blew another close one before hanging onto a draw.

1 2023 Justice was finally done in a close game and has made so many people happy. Also attending the Preliminary final was one of the greatest nights of my life.
2 1990 I was there and it was pretty bloody awesome after living through 1977-1981.
3 2010 Only got to a couple of games that year due to work/family but still cried tears of joy during the medal presentation.

1990 for me, first big altercation with a Melbourne supporter who was bagging my man Gavin Brown, Starcevich was close to winning Norm Smith (wasn't my favourite player) and my friends would have given it to me and of course broke a long drought.

It's difficult to rate them because they are all fantastic, But for anyone old enough to remember, 1990 was huge. I was 17 and was pissed, ended up at Vic park, miles from home and was in heaven.

We won convincingly against an arch enemy, after a long drought. It really was insane.

2010 was a longer drought for me.. I was 17 for the first win then had to wait 20 years for 2010. It was one of my favorite teams and what a great year we had. It was sort of expected and after the draw, I was very confident we'd win. The draw sort of took the gloss of only a fraction. Still it's the best game to watch becuase we dominated.

2023 was awesome. I think a little unexpected at the start of the year. It was done with great drafting and so many great stories. I think I was more emotional with this one.

The older you get, the more you realise that you'll never see too many premierships. So saviour them all.

So for me it's:

2023 easily the best. Finally winning a close one despite the feeling of impending doom after Cameron's goal. Can l say the word dynasty for 3rd time lucky.

1990 the drought breaker after the devastation of 70, 77, 79, 80 and 81. Too young to remember 60, 64 and 66.

2010 where we nearly blew another close one before hanging onto a draw.
agree with the bald facts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 was my favourite premiership. From 17th to premiers in just two seasons and finally seeing a September flag after many years of failures and near-misses from 1960-2018.

1990 was second the drought breaker

2010 was our 15th flag and our best winning margin in a GF (56 points)

1990 every day of the week. Breaking a 32 year. drought after 8 GF losses of which is had seen 4 and over a period of just 5 years …… The joy will never be beaten.

Since (and including) 1990 we are now 3 wins four losses…. Not so bad.

But 2023 has its merits as we finally won a close one and obviously it was the best game to watch.

2010 third . I do like StKildas misery to continue,

Last edited:
2023 for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, because the entire season was a joy to experience as a fan. The GF was just more of the same but amped up to 11.

The last 2 years have changed the club's trajectory and the way the club is viewed by the wider football community. The premiership sealed that; this flag was defining. Collingwood is now the team that wins the close ones, not the side that chokes at the finish.

1990 second.

2010 third.

Last edited:
1990. Drought breaker was everything. So many great players in that team. Daicos being my (and pretty much everyone’s) favourite.
2023 we finally won a nail biter. Probably our weakest list of the 3 grand finals. But the gameplay and passion got us over the line.
2010 I was there at both games. Exceptional team that should have gone back to back.

I was born in 1991... and only attended the 2010 Draw, so for me 2023 is numero uno.

I'll never forget when that siren went and a pies fan 2 seats down just jumps over his girlfriend to hug me and we start crying on each others shoulders. It's crazy how much a premiership means to us supporters and the memories of 2023 will live with me until I die.

That prelim atmosphere was something else too. I took my girlfriend and that was the moment she fell in love with the pies I think.

It's difficult to rate them because they are all fantastic, But for anyone old enough to remember, 1990 was huge. I was 17 and was pissed, ended up at Vic park, miles from home and was in heaven.

We won convincingly against an arch enemy, after a long drought. It really was insane.

2010 was a longer drought for me.. I was 17 for the first win then had to wait 20 years for 2010. It was one of my favorite teams and what a great year we had. It was sort of expected and after the draw, I was very confident we'd win. The draw sort of took the gloss of only a fraction. Still it's the best game to watch becuase we dominated.

2023 was awesome. I think a little unexpected at the start of the year. It was done with great drafting and so many great stories. I think I was more emotional with this one.

The older you get, the more you realise that you'll never see too many premierships. So saviour them all.

So for me it's:

1990 Didn’t make the game, couldn’t even get the salvo ticket on the day.

2010 The last minutes of the draw, especially the Milne bounce is the closest I’ve come to a heart stttack at a game. My Dad had a stroke the week before the replay so went straight to the hospital after the game, didn’t feel like celebrating.

2023 To me, sweetest of the lot, the close finals, our ability to fight back whenever challenged, JDG and Steels goals in the last qtr of the GF. Finally I could completely celebrate.

1. 2010 - After being forced to endure 20 years of no flag with 2 GF defeats to humble me, this is my favourite flag. It was special to break my longest premiership drought as I was a young boy in 1990. I valued and appreciated this one.

2. 2023 - This one is a close second. Just the way it made me feel. I felt like it was us against the world and we had to grind out this flag with a great team but not the most talented. Typically Collingwood loses GF's in these situations but this time we came through it all. It was inspirational.

3. 1990 - Again, probably 3rd due to my age of 14 years. I was only into footy for a few years before this and so I kind of expected that we would win this GF. I was not yet hardened to coping with a long drought of GF heartache.

2023 - easily. It was the highest quality game of them all and was a thrilling , down-to-the-wire finish. Precisely the type of games previous Collingwood teams couldn't win.

1990 - because it broke the drought and was something I'd dreamt about since I was a boy. But it wasn't a great game; the second-semi was the best game.

2010 - a ripper of a game and thoroughly enjoyable.

There may be some Collingwood supporting 96 year olds, who have been on planet earth, while the Magpies have attained the ultimate prize eleven times. Let's hope that these are all fresh in their collective memories and act as a panacea against the ravages of dementia. By the time, they receive a congratulatory telegram from King Charles ( or probably William), may the beloved Black and White increase their advantage over the despised enemies by 4. Having not reached nonagenarian status like the above, I have been on this mortal coil for a quintet of premiership successes. I was a toddler when the Lou Richards led team triumphed over the Pivotonians, so no real memory except for my beloved mother with a smile that could not be wiped off her face

Remove this Banner Ad

Back