Society & Culture Non PC sayings from yesteryear

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t... I only just realised the etymology of that

........ always thought it was 'jipped'
Same. I use gypped from time to time without knowing where the word came from or connecting it to gypsies

Not from yesteryear but....

image.jpg image.jpg

Chicos is Spanish for Kids but I've often wondered what a Yanks reaction would be to these lollies. They can say what they want about Redskins though. They're ******* awesome.

Don't seem to hear about people bowling "Chinamen" now either.

The very first Tintin adventure "Tintin In The Congo" is also... er, a product of it's time.
Problem with bowling chinamen is that it takes you until you're into your forties to get any good at it.

Yep, Enid Blyton has been given a right run-through, mostly unnecessarily. The golliwogs were always the baddies in Noddy, so they've become "goblins" I believe. I actually don't think a modern kid would strictly equate golliwogs with black people - I certainly never did as a kid, they were just another fictional species.

And I can't remember which series it's from, either the Magic Faraway Tree or the Wishing Chair, but "Fanny" has been renamed "Franny".

On the other hand, I guess George the transgender lesbian from the Famous Five was quite ahead of her time.
Enid Blyton has been given a right run-through! Police were hated, can't call Big Ears, Big Ears, the Golliwogs - it's kind of a shame, because Noddy reflects society at the time. I saw a Golliwog doll recently + it was called a 'GollyGolly Doll' o_O

I remember a song we sang at school, when I heard a neighbour's boy singing it -

Catholics, Catholics ring those bells,
Publics, Publics go to Hell.

I just LOLLED when I heard him + his mother was so embarrassed lol

We used to say to someone who had really bad luck, "Did you kill a Chinaman in a past life?" + it was lucky to touch a Chinese person, if you saw them lol

They used to sell these show bags at the Royal Melbourne Show between the 50s and 60s
View attachment 105071

Geeeeeez. That's ordinary. The comic (which I found a larger version of below) is even worse!

418116_large.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem with bowling chinamen is that it takes you until you're into your forties to get any good at it.
Tell me about it. Only managed to get the hang of it the last couple of years. Slay the kids in the backyard with it though.

I've still got my grandma's childhood copy of "The Tale of Little Black Sambo". When my kids were little, we read them a lot of old books but never that one. It's the most appalling, casually racist thing I've ever read and it was once the number one kids bestselling book in the British empire.
Was it?

I fondly remember being read it by my mum when I was young. I didn't even realise 'Sambo' was a derogatory term until this thread - not that I've ever said it. I basically only remember it being about pancakes, tigers that run around very quickly, and a poor boy in a village.

Was it?

I fondly remember being read it by my mum when I was young. I didn't even realise 'Sambo' was a derogatory term until this thread - not that I've ever said it. I basically only remember it being about pancakes, tigers that run around very quickly, and a poor boy in a village.

Yeah I reckon it was. 'Sambo' is only derogatory because that book popularised the name. Little Black Sambo. Black Mumbo. Black Jumbo. And those illustrations! They make Tintin au Congo, mentioned earlier in this thread, enlightened by comparison.

Weren't they available as Scalliwags for a while? Remember seeing them at Safeway a couple of years ago, but haven't found any since.

Say what you like about the name, but Golliwogs with coffee were the bomb. Also used to make a variant of choc ripple cake with them - was a real hit with the kids and at parties. :thumbsu:

If you watch old cricket replays some of the banners would result in some serious charges these days. 'Cop that Curry Munchers' was one I saw bob up last time I saw some old India v Australia highlights from 85-86.

If you watch old cricket replays some of the banners would result in some serious charges these days. 'Cop that Curry Munchers' was one I saw bob up last time I saw some old India v Australia highlights from 85-86.

Is this really racist?

I don't get racism sometimes. I mean, saying someone munches food isn't really derogatory, is it? It doesn't mean you hate the race. If they said "Vegemite muncher" I couldn't care less.

Sometimes in the modern world, what is essentially good natured banter is deemed offensive and creates further division.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back