No Oppo Supporters Re-signing Tex, Danger and Sloane *** Crows Only ***

Your thoughts on Dangerfield?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a listen to the Douglas interview and one thing that made my ears prick up was Dougie said that the group is a much tighter knit group and he credited this to Walsh

Thats a real pisitive endorsement for Walsh and hopefulky translates to winning more games of footy and contract signatures
Its an interesting thing to say but surely thats just a bit of spin. It may well be true but its something we hear everytime a coach gets moved on.

Having said that if half of whats said about Sando is true then it wouldn't be hard.

Going off topic but I love the way we go about keeping everything private too.

Caro was on 5aa talking about how the Power are the only club being completely open with the media and inviting them in at this time of year.

How quickly they forget. As soon as things start going sour (which will be this season when injuries hit and Ryder turns out to be the dud that's never been AA and only top 5 in Essendons b&f once, that they should have seen coming) they won't be so open.

It's easy to be open when they are asking questions like "Mr Hinkley: your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so good?"

But when the questions start being negative, they'll shut up shop.

Even Rooch was on the radio this morning being a smart arse because Port are "open" about injuries (haven't heard much about Hartlett's hammy) yet the Crows aren't. Jesus wept.

+1. Those clowns have been over-training for a couple of years. They will have a crowded injury tent this year and their depth is non-existent. Ryder...pfffft...average backup ruck and okay forward.

Its an interesting thing to say but surely thats just a bit of spin. It may well be true but its something we hear everytime a coach gets moved on.

Having said that if half of whats said about Sando is true then it wouldn't be hard.

Did not come across a spin

imo was a genuine statement and I think people shouldnt under estimate how bad things got under sando and the impact Walsh has had on the players

players are no fools and with all we now know it is easy to join the dots

player comnents such as demands respect, intense but aporoachable, hard edge, demands elite standards across the entire club, trustworthy discussions, players know where they stand, clear clarity on roles is on one hand a endorsement on the new coach and on the other paints a clear picture of the previous regime

Doughy comment that the Coach is not here to be your best friend and thats the way the coach / player relationship should be speaks volume of where this ckub has been under Sando

You can't be doomed by one player surely. It detracts too much on many levels of what we want as a club.

We're talking about the difference between winning a flag and coming second so one player can definately be th difference. We're not Hawthorn either. The difference between a flag and an also ran is being 'doomed'. Have you ever heard the saying 'doomed to mediocrity'.

Last edited:

Didn't come across as spin to me. In fact he came across very measured and reluctant to compare the two coaches. What he did give up sounded legit.

Didn't come across as spin to me. In fact he came across very measured and reluctant to compare the two coaches. What he did give up sounded legit.
I did notice the awkward silence, trying to respect Sando and not bag him.

Comparing coaches must be so difficult (publicly)

Even if you don't mention the old coach anything positive you say about the newcomer comes off as implied criticism of the former

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This in time once players start to retire we will hear sbout the going on's during the Sando years
I don't reckon they will be saying he can coach like crazy.

Imo, good assistant who doesn't have all required to become a senior coach without a damn good assistant like Bailey.

I don't reckon they will be saying he can coach like crazy.

Imo, good assistant who doesn't have all required to become a senior coach without a damn good assistant like Bailey.

How would anyone know whether he had the ability or not? He was a very you g head coach, and we have him a mentor for just 1 year.

Who knows how he might have developed if he got the right support? After all, he got the job. Apparently was very impressive and highly respected in the industry.

I've never been a big fan, even in 2012 but I'm shocked at the amount of revising and reinvention that is going on now he's left.

How would anyone know whether he had the ability or not? He was a very you g head coach, and we have him a mentor for just 1 year.

Who knows how he might have developed if he got the right support? After all, he got the job. Apparently was very impressive and highly respected in the industry.

I've never been a big fan, even in 2012 but I'm shocked at the amount of revising and reinvention that is going on now he's left.
It's my opinion Sanders - Take it or leave it.

I have mentioned numerous time - Even before he was sacked - that Sando was poor on matchday & with strategy. We were consistently killed on the outside & defence vulnerable to turnovers. This was not a once off & frustrating watching our setups live as just knew what was going to happen.

Any senior coach or Manager needs to be a good leader of men/women. Imo, Sando wasn't.

Not all assistants have the ability to become head coaches - 3 years was ample time to see whether he could grow into the role.

Agree, Afc hardly helped by not replacing Bailey but Trigg giving him an extension on the back of tippett-gate was just 2 wrongs not making a right.

I'm not disagreeing, but I've just about had enough of the 'highly respected within the industry' line. It is absolutely meaningless.

I agree with Kane McGoodwin in regard to Bailey's influence.

That is not to say he was a bad coach. He was a good coach IMO.

I would suggest though that he was not a great match day tactician. That is where Bailey's influence was during 2012. As you say, Sando was not supported. Rightly or wrongly (out of respect to Bailey?) we never replaced Bailey and gave Sando a tactician to assist him. During 2013/14 we lost a lot of games by small amounts where tactics and match day moves (or lack of) cost us games. Pods on Menzel against Carlton, Ziebel running amok down in Tassie, inability to block the free flow run in the Eseendon/WCE losses this year. These were all games that we could have won had Sando had a guy who was a better tactician next to him. That was what Bailey was. And we won these types of games in 2012.

This is also why we have appointed Walsh. He has been that man for Williams, Worsfold and Hinkley. The question on him though is if he can deliver on the other aspects of coaching. The great coaches can do it all. But they are few and far between.

It's my opinion Sanders - Take it or leave it.

I have mentioned numerous time - Even before he was sacked - that Sando was poor on matchday & with strategy. We were consistently killed on the outside & defence vulnerable to turnovers. This was not a once off & frustrating watching our setups live as just knew what was going to happen.

Any senior coach or Manager needs to be a good leader of men/women. Imo, Sando wasn't.

Not all assistants have the ability to become head coaches - 3 years was ample time to see whether he could grow into the role.

Agree, Afc hardly helped by not replacing Bailey but Trigg giving him an extension on the back of tippett-gate was just 2 wrongs not making a right.
It reeks alot of primus with port and the restructuring of their top end management. If you look at their team that lost to gws and the one now the bulk of their players are still there. Adelaides team this year will be similar to last year with a few new faces but the majority will be the same. For the record i didnt rate sanderson one bit and hated the way he always referred to geelong and how good they were. Walsh has mentioned port and west coast breifly if at all and i cant see him in press conferences comparing us to port and saying how good they were at this and that. He is completely focused and has challenged the players to step up to a new level, a level which would never be reached with brenton sanderson. Bailey had alot more to do with 2012 than alot of us can imagine.

Comparing coaches must be so difficult (publicly)

Even if you don't mention the old coach anything positive you say about the newcomer comes off as implied criticism of the former
who cares?

if there was nothing to criticise he would still be the coach. Sando will just have to take all that on the chin (if he even hears it) and if he's serious about a coaching career he'll buck his ideas up and actually learn something from this whole event.

This is the issue I have.....

look at tge NFL the average age of a senior cosch is in their mid 50's which indicates that by the time coaches are appointed to the Head Coach role they have served lengthy apprenticeships and they are ready to lead in their own right

however the AFL had gone through a period of appointing young coaches well ahead of time and needing to put structures around them because their apprenticeships have not been lengthy or diverse enough for them to be ready to perform the role in their own right.

However now I think we are seeing the trend change again with more senior and experienced coaches such as Hinkley, Walsh and Eade winning roles before younger coaches

my personsl view is that as a first time coach you are either ready to go or your not and if a club needs to invest and put in place a "training wheels" type of structure around a new coach then he is not ready and should not have been appointed in the first pkace.

From day 1 Walsh has said that he does not need a Coaching Director / Snr Asst structure as he would not have accepted the role unless he thought he was ready to completely fulfill the role and thats the way it should be.....

if I was running a multi million dollar business I would expect that staff in key toles that drnand
$500k are able to deliver on their entire role requirements without needing a babysitter

Last edited:
Every single player!

That's why they always answer so guardedly when asked
I doubt they care about criticising a former coach, they care about not appearing in a "Crows player slams ex-coach Brenton Sanderson in scathing interview" headline. The media sharks are the only ones that care because they think they can drum up another story about nothing.

I doubt they care about criticising a former coach, they care about not appearing in a "Crows player slams ex-coach Brenton Sanderson in scathing interview" headline. The media sharks are the only ones that care because they think they can drum up another story about nothing.

And it appears they're not getting fed much from the club, so they'll be jumping on any opportunity.

That's right

Which is why they don't answer if they can avoid it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back