Podcast Shooting Fish In A Barrel- BigFooty SFA Podcast Season 19 Episode 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
A bumper podcast to officially kick off S19 as Filthy, brahj and PVF run the rule over the squads and discuss the talking points of the off-season.

Apologies for the length, we got through all the teams in one show as we've moved from a weekly podcast to fortnightly so everybody got a look in.

The ending is also more an easter egg from outside the recording, we lost the recording literally just as I was saying goodbye and thank you to PVF and brahj.

Enjoy...

iTunes: http://podcasts.bigfootymedia.com.s3.amazonaws.com/sfa/SFAPodcastS19E01.mp3

*(iTunes is up for subscribers initially)

Soundcloud:

glue.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK early feedback from the past few minutes I've listened to...

ANTAGONISM
The suggestion that the SFA has never been like this, never been treated so seriously, we've never had situations like lately is not correct. Though the last couple of seasons have been tame, it seems to be cyclical. Everything gets serious, people get wound up and then it all slows back down again and gets taken the right way.

Lately, some of the stuff going on reminds me of the Big Bad Buddy situation from seasons back (made more of a big deal, in my view, by the response from his own teammates). Famous meltdowns from JRR, Kerrby, Jobe, UL, etc etc etc. Boncer at his best going on the absolute beast mode genuine antagonistic attacks. The league does get antagonistic. Sometimes brutally. Every now and then it gets real. Then everyone takes a chill pill.

So far, the league has recovered from the brutal moments and calmed itself down. Because, it's a game. Hopefully the last few weeks takes the back seat to the season ahead.

An interesting discussion though.

Off-Season
PVF saying "oh we have never had a break anywhere near this long, not since I came back in Season 15." This is starting to s**t me. PVF was one of the biggest complainers about having an off-season too short in the last off-season. Desperately begging for a longer off-season.

PVF later says oh, we didn't all agree on the season taking too long to start, all the captains did. NONSENSE on this occasion. I refer PVF to the thread where nearly every poster wanted a break lasting into February: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sfa-pre-season-schedule-discussion.1084218/

PVF, you may note that you actually posted on the thread, twice.

Most importantly, your comments were factually flawed. The only recent break we have had which have also covered the christmas holiday period was the break between seasons 15 and 16 (where you were back in the league). The grand final was played November 6 and round 1 match threads went up March 3 the following year. As opposed to our off-season just gone with a Grand final November 17 and Round 1 match threads going up February 10.

Significantly shorter than the off-season after S15, contrary to your comments, and significantly shorter than the only comparable off-season in recent memory.

I have no issue with comments about the off-season being long and boring because I bloody agree with them. I was the main person arguing with you, PVF, and Clarkey and TFB etc etc etc that a shorter off-season is better. But you guys complained about burn-out and God knows what. Then complain about it being too long the following season. Then complain about it not being discussed when it was discussed with the league who, in majority, also wanted a longer off-season. I think you guys just like to complain :p

Good discussion so far nonetheless :thumbsu:

Off-Season
PVF saying "oh we have never had a break anywhere near this long, not since I came back in Season 15." This is starting to s**t me. PVF was one of the biggest complainers about having an off-season too short in the last off-season. Desperately begging for a longer off-season.

PVF later says oh, we didn't all agree on the season taking too long to start, all the captains did. NONSENSE on this occasion. I refer PVF to the thread where nearly every poster wanted a break lasting into February: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sfa-pre-season-schedule-discussion.1084218/

Most importantly, your comments were factually flawed. The only recent break we have had which have also covered the christmas holiday period was the break between seasons 15 and 16 (where you were back in the league). The grand final was played November 6 and round 1 match threads went up March 3 the following year. As opposed to our off-season just gone with a Grand final November 17 and Round 1 match threads going up February 10.

Significantly shorter than the off-season after S15, contrary to your comments, and significantly shorter than the only comparable off-season in recent memory.

I have no issue with comments about the off-season being long and boring because I bloody agree with them. I was the main person arguing with you, PVF, and Clarkey and TFB etc etc etc that a shorter off-season is better. But you guys complained about burn-out and God knows what. Then complain about it being too long the following season. Then complain about it not being discussed when it was discussed with the league who, in majority, also wanted a longer off-season. I think you guys just like to complain :p

Mate we were struggling to find stuff to discuss about that happened in the off-season so I just came out with that one to get some conversation going. I actually haven't listened to this yet and probably won't because I hate hearing my voice but I do believe I said that I actually didn't mind the length of the break because it got me excited to start getting into match threads again.

Although I will admit I'm wrong about the end of Season 15, I'm an old man now with a s**t memory :p And also the part about the thread to discuss it, again I have a s**t memory :p

OK early feedback from the past few minutes I've listened to...

ANTAGONISM
The suggestion that the SFA has never been like this, never been treated so seriously, we've never had situations like lately is not correct. Though the last couple of seasons have been tame, it seems to be cyclical. Everything gets serious, people get wound up and then it all slows back down again and gets taken the right way.

Lately, some of the stuff going on reminds me of the Big Bad Buddy situation from seasons back (made more of a big deal, in my view, by the response from his own teammates). Famous meltdowns from JRR, Kerrby, Jobe, UL, etc etc etc. Boncer at his best going on the absolute beast mode genuine antagonistic attacks. The league does get antagonistic. Sometimes brutally. Every now and then it gets real. Then everyone takes a chill pill.

So far, the league has recovered from the brutal moments and calmed itself down. Because, it's a game. Hopefully the last few weeks takes the back seat to the season ahead.

An interesting discussion though.

Off-Season

Mate, you have to know by now there is a lot of "opinion" on the podcast designed to get a rise very similar to what you've brought up.

I make a personal observation on your good self later on that is far from the truth :)

I've listened to the first two minutes and have to question how high the crew is this time around.

I wasn't lying when I said I told brahj to go to bed at 2am. The drinking started about 40 minutes before I started recording :D

Mate, you have to know by now there is a lot of "opinion" on the podcast designed to get a rise very similar to what you've brought up.

I make a personal observation on your good self later on that is far from the truth :)
Of course. But given I'm not there to argue live it is still fun to argue after the fact. You've ruined that now :(

Hahaha OK I just got to the s**t about the Hawks and myself. The taking the piss out of my two finals only and no stats in one of them. And the "dumb" comments. But I absolutely lost it when TFW started talking about one of our new posters posting a photo of a bowl of s**t. Bloody hilarious.

I haven't listened yet but I'm still outraged because Okey wrote a post more than two sentences long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back