Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes spot on. But he has survived this far and I am not sure whether even player suspensions will bring him undone. One thing is for sure, he will not jump, he will need to be pushed. Not sure anyone at the Bombers is game to do it because he will take them with him. Those he hasn't pushed under the bus already anyway.

The astonishing thing about Hird is the absolute sincerity about his self righteousness. He really believes he has been the victim here.

No doubt about it Big Sim, how ever, what does not sit right, is that as head coach, he said he will take full responsibility- he has done everything to avoid full responsibility including disputing the way in which the evidence was obtained.

He is no different to Francesco Schettino, the captain of the Costa Concordia, who didn't give a rat's about anything but himself. He is and always will be seen as full blown scum in my eyes until he swallows he pride and quits. This will always overshadow anything he has achieved on the football field.

If they get 7 weeks it works out well for us. We play them rd3, get an easy win, they won't make the finals from 0-7 so that's 1 less team around our mark we have to worry about, plus they will be competitive and sneak a couple of wins against other clubs fighting it out for the 8.

Hopefully they get draft penalties though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would receive more satisfaction if our boys belted a fully loaded efc* team and sent Tirdy back to the dung hill with his tail between his legs

I would receive more satisfaction if we smacked them so hard that we rewrite record books. In time nobody will know the circumstances in which it occurred, they would just see the score.

Ahhh 6 Months can go to hell.

Yes we may all be fatigued by this scenario and just want SOMETHING to happen, but to settle for 6 months, that's what Essendon has done this all for.
Not to mention that this is bigger than what they "deserve" or what we are "satisfied" with. This is a quesiton of DOPING IN SPORTS, this is a question of holding known drug cheats to a punishment deserving of the crime.

I can tell you right now, If i was the coach of a football club and I knew all I had to do was buy some gear of a dealer, inject it in the back room to my star player and never reocrd anything. And then if the agency comes knocking just lie and defy until we drag the situation out. Then you can bet your ass I would. AND THAT is why they cannot allow 6 month suspensions, and why they won't allow 6 months suspensions.

These players are drug cheats people, they got a significant advantage, they got bigger and stronger, they did it intentionally (don't try and tell me they didn't)

2 years.

:D

If somone had asked me for the quinella...I'd have had you first with Tony Lynn 15 as the runner up...

Whilst I admit I have had the occasional post deleted over the years I would have King of Ruin first, daylight second and Stig O'Hara third.

Not Tony Lynn 15, he is the cult figure of this board, it would be like finding out Santa isn't real when you were a kid all over again, if TL15 is a deleted post buzzer beater :( :D

I never think about them as being deleted, rather they were just 'misplaced' somewhere by one of the MOD's.....:)

I never think about them as being deleted, rather they were just 'misplaced' somewhere by one of the MOD's.....:)

We like to keep them for ourselves and read them in secret.

fanmail.png

Last edited:
We like to keep them for ourselves and read them in secret.

whered_lances_body_go.jpg

Yeah I know and I like to think that you have some weird arsed library full of delet.....misplaced posts. I also like to think mine are in the non fiction section right near the Mills and Boon novels!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont get too excited that the players will only get 6 months.

WADA-compliant AFL Anti-Doping Code severe in penalties on banned substances
PLAYERS charged with using “prohibited” substances receive an automatic suspension of two years.

The AFL’s Anti-Doping Code applies on a strict liability basis: “It is each player’s personal duty to ensure that no prohibited substance enters his body.

“Accordingly, it is not necessary that intent, fault, negligence or knowing use on the player’s part be demonstrated in order to establish an (offence).”

Players can generally raise two defences based on exceptional circumstances.

They must show “no significant fault or negligence” (penalty 12-24 months) or “no fault or negligence” where “the player (must) establish that he did not know or suspect, and could not reasonably have known or suspected” that he was using a prohibited substance or method (penalty 0-12 months).

However, these tests are generally difficult to satisfy. Take the following cases from the Court of Arbitration for Sport:

MEDICINAL cream used by a 17-year-old swimmer purchased in a foreign country for a foot condition unknowingly contained a steroid. No performance enhancement but a 12-month suspension ensued.

TWO Australian weightlifters aged 17 and 18 tested positive for a stimulant similar to substances on the prohibited list. CAS found they had failed to properly inquire, though had not failed to inquire altogether, as to the integrity of the supplement drink. Two-year ban, not reduced on appeal.

http://www.sportslawyer.com.au/wada...ode-severe-in-penalties-on-banned-substances/

Very good chance it'll be the full two years IMO. In cases of 'inadvertent doping', the key factor in triggering the 'no significant fault or negligence' clause for a possible 50 percent reduction in sentence has been the fact the substance was not used (or intended to be used) to enhance performance (i.e. it was instead used for medicinal purposes).

I'm really struggling to see how the players cannot be said to have significant fault or negligence here. They willingly participated in a 'cutting edge/ black ops/ of site' injection regime that was specifically designed to enhance performance.

I'm definitely leaning towards the full two years. They'll be very lucky to get away with 12 months (backdated to the date of the IN or provisional/ voluntary suspension).

I would go so far as to say ASADA will appeal to CAS it it is a sanction of less than 18 months.

Dont get too excited that the players will only get 6 months.

http://www.sportslawyer.com.au/wada...ode-severe-in-penalties-on-banned-substances/

Very good chance it'll be the full two years IMO. In cases of 'inadvertent doping', the key factor in triggering the 'no significant fault or negligence' clause for a possible 50 percent reduction in sentence has been the fact the substance was not used (or intended to be used) to enhance performance (i.e. it was instead used for medicinal purposes).

I'm really struggling to see how the players cannot be said to have significant fault or negligence here. They willingly participated in a 'cutting edge/ black ops/ of site' injection regime that was specifically designed to enhance performance.

I'm definitely leaning towards the full two years. They'll be very lucky to get away with 12 months (backdated to the date of the IN or provisional/ voluntary suspension).

I would go so far as to say ASADA will appeal to CAS it it is a sanction of less than 18 months.
I could kiss you

I could kiss you

Its almost seen as a fait accompli that the players will get the two years reduced down to 12 months (and then backdated) due to the 'no significant fault or negligence defence'.

I'm not so sure. The case law is mixed on the subject, and different cases have gone different ways, but it seems to me to contain one constant; the standard is much higher when it comes to inadvertent doping linked to performance enhancement instead of inadvertent doping due to medical stuff ups.

My gut is telling me ASADA will appeal a 12 month sentence. They would probably leave 18 months or more alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back