News Shane Rogers has quit Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

He was on the verge of walking out when the Wright rumours circulated wasn't he? I'm a fan of Sos's work at GWS so if it wasn't going to work with Sos and Shane, then probably best it came to a head quickly. Plenty of ruffled feathers about it seems, it'll be an interesting period to look back on in the coming years.

So...we been Rogered?

Yep and it's a bloody shane......
facepalm03.gif

Cheers for the clarification, lads. Every though you're cockblocking my sloppy man love for Rogers ;)

You'd think it would be a bit of a round table discussion. You'd think the recruiter would have a fair idea of the talent level floating around each pick and give an indication of what it's worth. Pick 20 doesn't hold the same value each year as it depends on the strength of the draft.

The coach might be developing a game style that needs different things like speed or height or physicality.

The list manager might be dealing with salary cap squeezes, etc.

I'd imagine there would be some lively discussions.

Personally I'd give as much say as possible to the head of recruiting, draft a fyfe with pick 20, a swan or Steve j with pick 40+ and everything changes.

Trade warnock for needs and miss out on beams :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that after 40 years in the footy industry. MM would know a recuirter or two.

SOS has done ok at the Giants. You can't pick a star player with every pick.

You can't say that the giants list is not brimming with talented players that they have drafted.

I think SOS and Gubby took JC AT and DS all as underagers that definatley takes a good eye for talent.

I reckon you guys will be hunting for Matty Rendell pretty soon. He's the only one that has the experience and slot perfectly in at Carlton as he doesn't have a head recruiting roll at the pies....just not sure what his relationship with trigg is after his sacking at Adelaide.
That and I don't want to lose him at the pies!

I reckon you guys will be hunting for Matty Rendell pretty soon. He's the only one that has the experience and slot perfectly in at Carlton as he doesn't have a head recruiting roll at the pies....just not sure what his relationship with trigg is after his sacking at Adelaide.
That and I don't want to lose him at the pies!

wouldn't be surprised if the crows hand was forced there.

From what I can ascertain, Andrew McKay was instrumental in us using our 2013 first round pick on Patrick Cripps (a decision that's really looking like coming up Milhouse)

Disappointing Rogers has quit, but its not the end of the world and to be honest, much better he leaves now then during mid-season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rogers had to silently witness years of train wreck drafting from Wayne Hughes.

Once Hughes was axed, years too late, Rogers barely got settled before the administration was trying to back up a semi-trailer of money to Graham Wright's (Hawthorn head recruiter) front door.

Then Rogers was expected to play recruiting 2IC to Silvagni as list manager. Love SOS, but what has he proven at GWS? Starchamber could've picked a brilliant squad with the concessions given by the AFL to the Giants.

Once again, the club tries to throw silly money at problems and, then when that doesn't work, rushes in a favoured son to give everyone the warm fuzzies. It's like the 90s all over again, only without the premiership and the ability to buy our way out of trouble.

Please tell me, whilst we're on the subject of warm and fuzzies and favourite sons, what The Vet has done wrong since returning to the fold, 2 years ago ??

Andy McKay is just about our most valuable off-field asset right now ..

Want people who want to be here and not big ego they can work within the new structure and chain of command. Need team players and people who can work with others in the single purpose goal of getting the team where it wants to be. People like that often end up causing internal problems.

Sorry, but this is just ungracious. The classy thing to do is to thank the man for his honest efforts, and wish him well. No need to be disrespectful to a bloke who may yet prove to have brought excellent players to the FC. I admire his principles, and respect his decision. Came across as a good, honest, knowledgable guy.

This from June last year......

------

Carlton recruiting boss Shane Rogers ready to walk out

Date June 10, 2014

Caroline Wilson

Disillusioned Carlton recruiting boss Shane Rogers is on the verge of walking out on the club in the belief that Blues powerbroker Bruce Mathieson and incoming chairman Mark LoGiudice have been orchestrating his removal.

Delicate negotiations at Visy Park on Tuesday between the club’s recently maligned national recruiting boss and Carlton football chief Andrew McKay looked likely to see Rogers depart the club with a settlement less than four months before the 2014 trade period and without a certain replacement following Hawthorn’s refusal to release Graham Wright from his new contract.

LoGiudice’s unprecedented five-year contract offer to Wright worth a reported $2.5 million prompted Hawks president Andrew Newbold to register his displeasure at the attempted poaching at last week’s equalisation talks between the AFL and the 18 clubs.

While Newbold did not mention the club involved, outgoing chairman Stephen Kernahan and outgoing chief executive Greg Swann were later made aware the Hawks head was referring to Carlton. Not only were Swann and Kernahan unaware of the offer to Wright, but LoGiudice had also not informed football boss McKay nor coach Mick Malthouse.

Rogers was promoted concurrently with the demotion and later departure of former recruiting boss Wayne Hughes at the end of last year.

Credited with the selection of talented youngster Troy Menzel and more recently Patrick Cripps along with Cameron Giles, who is pushing for senior selection, Rogers was targeted indirectly by Mathieson early this season when Mathieson again slammed the club’s recruiting.

Wright’s unavailability preceded fresh reports that LoGiudice and Mathieson, who has no official role at the club, had also set their sights upon their close friend and club great Stephen Silvagni, who is currently the list manager for Greater Western Sydney.

However Silvagni told Fairfax Media on Tuesday night that he was contracted to the Giants until the end of 2016 and would not break his agreement with the fledgling club. Silvagni added he had received no approach from the Blues.

The audacious and secretive bid to poach Graham Wright has intensified the atmosphere of mistrust which has surrounded the Blues’ off-field operation as the handover from Kernahan to LoGiudice moves towards the mid-June deadline.

While the Hawks’ president Newbold was disappointed in Carlton, the Hawks were also disappointed that Wright had seriously considered Carlton’s offer so soon after sealing a generous new deal with Hawthorn. Carlton’s inflationary move came during a week in which the AFL was announcing a cap on football department spending.

And Newbold’s protest in front of the AFL Commission regarding clubs enticing staffers to break contracts was quickly rebuffed by Western Bulldogs CEO Simon Garlick. The Bulldogs chief reminded the Hawks that they had last year poached former Bulldogs football boss James Fantasia, who was contracted. This proved an ill-fated move which saw Fantasia removed within months, costing Hawthorn a six-figure pay settlement.

While neither McKay nor Malthouse were not consulted about Swann's departure last week, McKay has confirmed he was a candidate for the CEO’s role along with former Australian Olympic Chef de Mission Nick Green, Fairfax Radio general manager Shane Healy and Western Sydney Wanderers boss Lyle Gorman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back