News Shane Rogers has quit Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of conjecture in this thread and a lot of henny penny stuff deriving from it.

Me, I think our recruiting can be a hell of a lot better than it has been. Rogers may have turned the corner since he took the wheel from Hughes, but we've yet to see if he driven us out of an exceedingly poor patch. Happy to give someone else a go, and to get the bus fixed up while they're at it.

Hmmmmm... All just seems a bit "I wanted to be in charge, taking my clipboard and going home.

Yes. Two months is not a long time to trial the new arrangements. It suggests there was a lack of buy-in, especially since he had job security with his contract renewal.

Not sure about this cloak and dagger stuff. It's not like he was marched to the gate. There was a role for him but he decided to pursue other opportunities. And that's OK.

Is it at all possible that we might end up with an even better recruiter ??

Possibly, but even so, it does appear that Rogers was treated shabbily by certain influential people at the club, who make their wealth with the exploration and misery of people with a certain type of addiction (Gambling)

Wish the club would hand back The Royal Oak hotel to Richmond and tell The Fat Controller who lives on the Gold Coast to take his tainted money and shove it.

Sick of decent people who gave the club years of good service, like Ratts and Rogers, essentially being White-Anted by Mathieson.

Until this club tells that horrible man to jog on, we are still repeating the same mistakes of the Elliott regime.

Apologises for the rant, but I love this club so much, and I am passionately against people like Mathieson, who think money and wealth can make them buy power and influence (this also applies to other industries like politics etc) ..

Unless one resides within the four walls of the club, then you're unlikely to know the full story behind his departure. For this reason I don't really hold an opinion regarding Rogers ability to perform the job required of him. I do tend to wonder how much of the knowledge used to recruit WA youngsters such as Cripps, Smith & Boekhorst was due to any research Rogers had done or came from the inside knowledge of Rob Wiley who'd worked with coaching them as youngsters and his existing WA network. Likewise, I'd also tend to wonder how much input he had in the acquisition of Jaksch and Whiley or was the deal done at the bequest of Malthouse & Wiley, while Rogers would've been told to just make it happen. How much say did he have in the trades of Thomas, Docherty and Everitt. The fact of the matter is that he still got the deals done. This is not a negative or a positive regarding Rogers, but simply to point out Rogers' ability to work with both Malthouse and Wiley as a team to address our playing list deficiencies with the best recruits available to fulfil those deficiencies will be missed. Personally, I like the way our list is beginning to take shape, because we're starting to see it gain some structure at long last.

Last edited:
Unless one resides within the four walls of the club, then you're unlikely to full story behind his departure. For this reason I don't really hold an opinion regarding Rogers ability to perform the job required of him. I do tend to wonder how much of the knowledge used to recruit WA youngsters such as Cripps, Smith & Boekhorst was due to any research Rogers had done or came from the inside knowledge of Rob Wiley who'd worked with coaching them as youngsters and his existing WA network. Likewise, I'd also tend to wonder how much input he had in the acquisition of Jaksch and Whiley or was the deal done at the bequest of Malthouse & Wiley, while Rogers would've been told to just make it happen. How much say did he have in the trades of Thomas, Docherty and Everitt. The fact of the matter is that he still got the deals done. This is not a negative or a positive regarding Rogers, but simply to point out Rogers' ability to work with both Malthouse and Wiley as a team to address our playing list deficiencies with the best recruits available to fulfil those deficiencies will be missed. Personally, I like the way our list is beginning to take shape, because we're starting to see it gain some structure at long last.

Yes and there is a good lot of quality youth there so they have quickly set us up for the new era, and there is balance - even numbers across various playing types, be it tall backs, small forwards, inside mids etc

The turnover at the club off-field over the last six months has been amazing.

Most departments have been impacted.

The Kernahan era is over.

Only one person has been lost who the club would have liked to retain.

Most of the rest have shown that they are not there for the club but for themselves. The rest just people who have been moved on because the club thinks they have someone better.

If you are in a department and a restructure means you have a new person to report to you either stay and do your best for the club or take it as an insult and do something else.

The off-field is the same as on-field. There needs to be a turnover of people so that the most talented can be retained, those not talented removed.

The culture of the club has been to hang on and hang on to people because they have been around for a while. That works for some positions at a club, many of them volunteer.

But for the positions in the football, marketing, membership, communications etc departments that make the difference between being ordinary and excellent they need to be constantly assessed.

Who knows what the Judge presidency is going to be like long term, but one thing you cannot say is that it is sitting on the shoulders of the Kernahan/Pratt years. It is a new beginning.

It might work it might not. But what we had over the last 10 years did not work, so why keep it going?

I do tend to wonder how much of the knowledge used to recruit WA youngsters such as Cripps, Smith & Boekhorst was due to any research Rogers had done or came from the inside knowledge of Rob Wiley who'd worked with coaching them as youngsters and his existing WA network.
It's a fair question but I can answer it for you. The majority of the work there is done by Rogers and his team with a heap of input from Ross Parker with the WA players and the final say was Rogers. Whiley didn't have much at all to do with this. Interviews are done from the AIS tour onwards and the players are always having their testing results updated while with four full time recruiters nowadays there's almost always a couple of them interstate every week. SR also did most of the work with the trades, especially last year.

It's a fair question but I can answer it for you. The majority of the work there is done by Rogers and his team with a heap of input from Ross Parker with the WA players and the final say was Rogers. Whiley didn't have much at all to do with this. Interviews are done from the AIS tour onwards and the players are always having their testing results updated while with four full time recruiters nowadays there's almost always a couple of them interstate every week. SR also did most of the work with the trades, especially last year.

Thanks for that insightful post, I was under the impression that Andrew McKay was the one who was mainly instrumental in the Kristian Jaksch trade, but if Rogers orchestrated it, then I am grateful, giving up pick 7 for a KPP who should play (touchwood) 200 plus games, plus Whiley and pick 19 in return is a tidy piece of business ..

Very disappointed by this news even without knowing the full story behind Rogers' departure.

Every recruiters makes mistakes along the way but I thought he'd been doing a good job at the helm. We've brought some real quality to the club over the past few years and he was a huge factor in that.

Time will tell and I would be more than happy to be proven wrong but at this stage I'm not happy with this at all. Looks to be a movement in the wrong direction as we seem to be shifting back towards a boys club rather than moving away from that which has been enormously detrimental to the club over the past 15 years or so in particular.

Rogers must have known thats why we got sos back to the club, and honestly Rogers doesnt have a great track record with his selections over the last 5 or more years. Alot of 1st round picks not at the club any longer or in the league plus selections like McCarthey and Mitchell to name a few who just weren't afl players. Surely sos cant do any worse than Rogers has done. And sos also has the connections to all the young gws players he drafted to there club. Cameron and Treloar would be brilliant pick ups if we could pty them away from the giants, a possibility that sos has and that Rogers never would. Personally im not upset to see Rogers go, im more excited to see sos back home. Go Blues..
what 5 years selections? he has only been the head of recruiting for the past 3 drafts... before that it was Hughes.

SOS was given the cream of the crop to select for GWS... there is no way he could have failed. He, if he is going to be the chief recruiting officer for the club, is going to be tested at Carlton because we are going to be climbing the ladder over the next couple of years and he isnt going to be presented with a plethora of first round picks to play with.

Anyway... as the list management officer, I thought that his role at the club was to liaise with the board, the coaching staff, the football operations manager, and the recruiting staff to maintain the best possible list for the club. He isnt going to be sitting at the recruiting and trades tables come the end of the year fighting it out with the other recruiting managers to get the best possible players for our picks... at least thats what I think that he will be doing.

I, for one, am disappointed to see Rogers leave us as I feel that he was getting us the best players possible in some tough drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I read it....and someone pull me up if im clutching at straws.

The guy knows someone was headhunted for his position by the incoming president and his chief backer.
The guy then signs a new contract to try and secure his job at the club, knowing he was on shaky ground.
The guy then gets demoted due to the incoming of a "favourite son".
The guy assumes that he is obviously not appreciated here, lines up a new job, negotiates a payout and gets out while he can.
In what way was he demoted? Clubs have been employing list managers for a number of years now & this has not resulted in their recruiting managers walking.

Rogers would have continued as the Recruiting Manager.

Some people seem to be using this decision to push their anti-club agendas, yet some of these same people have been critical of Rogars' selections in recent drafts.

In what way was he demoted? Clubs have been employing list managers for a number of years now & this has not resulted in their recruiting managers walking.

Rogers would have continued as the Recruiting Manager.

Some people seem to be using this decision to push their anti-club agendas, yet some of these same people have been critical of Rogars' selections in recent drafts.
If you report straight to the board one day, then no longer report to the board - because someone has been put between you and them, then youve been demoted.

Seems as though there's a bit of a divide in here re Rogers departure and that's understandable to a point but please do take special interest in reading the posting of Sin City and TGR in this thread.

I can say that after two days I'm still livid in the way we go about our business at this club.
Being ruthless may suit some people but when it's coupled up with being clueless the end results may not fall in your favour.

Possibly, but even so, it does appear that Rogers was treated shabbily by certain influential people at the club, who make their wealth with the exploration and misery of people with a certain type of addiction (Gambling)

Wish the club would hand back The Royal Oak hotel to Richmond and tell The Fat Controller who lives on the Gold Coast to take his tainted money and shove it.

Sick of decent people who gave the club years of good service, like Ratts and Rogers, essentially being White-Anted by Mathieson.

Until this club tells that horrible man to jog on, we are still repeating the same mistakes of the Elliott regime.

Apologises for the rant, but I love this club so much, and I am passionately against people like Mathieson, who think money and wealth can make them buy power and influence (this also applies to other industries like politics etc) ..

where is the evidence that it was mathieson that made him walk?

where is the evidence that it was mathieson that made him walk?
A lot of accusations being thrown around.

MLG wanted to beef up the recruiting dept when he came in as president, and managed to lure SoS back. The dept is restructured and SoS is made GM of list management. The club could've appointed Rogers but consider SOS a better choice to head the dept.

Rogers is not happy with the restructure and decides to quit. It's disappointing he didn't want to work within the new structure or give it a go, but it was his choice to quit.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back