NAB Challenge - Carlton v West Coast Friday 7.10PM est - Mandurah

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing game, not because we lost but lack of structure and endeavor to run to defensive and offensive positions. It looked to me the kick long under all circumstances was back in vogue.

Disappointing game, not because we lost but lack of structure and endeavor to run to defensive and offensive positions. It looked to me the kick long under all circumstances was back in vogue.

I watched bits and pieces of the GC v Geelong game. I'd really like to see the offensive pressure inside 50 that GC showed. They were ferocious at times, forcing turnovers or stoppages in front of goal. I'm no tactical expert but I felt that more often than not, the ball came out of our forward 50 as quickly as it went in. A consequence of the long kick?

I thought the blind bombing was mostly limited to when we were subject to repeat entries into our D50 when kicking against the wind. Still not ideal, but it was good to see that the players started to adjust midway through the first quarter. Shows that the collective team is a bit smarter and/or able to follow instruction.

On the other side of the coin, I would definitely agree that it looked like whatever plans we had for transitioning from the defence/middle into attack weren't executed. Disappointing, but it is only the first competitive match we have played in the NAB Challenge with a second-string team. Hopefully that changes next game.

I watched bits and pieces of the GC v Geelong game. I'd really like to see the offensive pressure inside 50 that GC showed. They were ferocious at times, forcing turnovers or stoppages in front of goal. I'm no tactical expert but I felt that more often than not, the ball came out of our forward 50 as quickly as it went in. A consequence of the long kick?

Yep - I lost count how many times we would bomb it long to a 3 vs 1 or 4 vs 1 contest and naturally they would waltz out setting up another attack with limited pressure. I felt bad for our big guys contesting against such numbers and having so ground support, let alone air support. Need to fix.

The one positive for me was Tuohy. He seemed to be back to where he was in 2014. Loved his 9 pointer on the final siren. Plus he had another attempt I think either late in the first quarter or early second quarter, sorry can't remember.

Tuohy showed some good signs and might just be ready to better his 2013 efforts. I'm confident that when we next meet WCE we'll give a much better contest (I reckon we will beat them) - they already had a game under their belt and were playing a close to best 22 side.

But it's a game of footy, Bs72. They have to play sometime. Posters are suggesting Libba copped an ACL because he played today and shouldn't have. When does he play? Is there some magic protection he gets in the season proper he doesn't have in the NAB?

Probability law says that statistically you gain no more protection from doing an ACL by playing less games but to flip the coin so to speak why tempt the fate gods when you don't need to.

Judd and Thomas gain nothing from playing this game but giving games to draftees and year two's gives them that senior game exposure which is invaluable in terms of learning first hand what is required without the club worrying about dropping four points.

You're right Mackenzie could have done his ACL rnd 1 or he might never have done it but the reality is he's out for the season and the Murphy's, Judd's and Thomas's will still be playing rnd1....... at least for now, and that certainly makes me rest easier than WC supporters would be at the moment.

Loved Boekhorst's effort to tackle Kennedy at 16.10 in the 2nd quarter, didn't hesitate at all running into the guy who's probably got 20kg on him.View attachment 113267
My comment at that moment "goal saving tackle". From memory he would've been able to run into an open goal. For an outside player, I love that Boekhorst didnt shy away from the hard stuff. And from all reports was similar in the intraclub last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone heard anything further about Cripps' injury to his arm/hand? I just started watching the game again and saw that he hurt himself with the first tackle of the game. :eek:

Loved Boekhorst's effort to tackle Kennedy at 16.10 in the 2nd quarter, didn't hesitate at all running into the guy who's probably got 20kg on him.View attachment 113267
I was really impressed with that hit. There was some other work just before he hit up Kennedy.

The kids (and not-so kids) playing in the middle probably have never endured that kind of attention from taggers or first-pick opponents. They were bound to be on the back foot all night. You'd like to think they'd learn a lot from it though.
Every time we step out on the park it should be to win or to learn. I think winning this game was the furtherest thing on our minds.

Last edited:
When I saw him lining him up, I thought it was Clem. When it had passed I realised I was on my feet. I had actually subconsciously stood up off my couch at the prospect of Clem lining up a senior strong-bodied tall. Sheepishly looked around and sat down again.

Agree, have to put up with poor camera work/angles etc because of the 2nd rate venues they play at.
If only that were true; they do these close shots on runs down the wing now, completely takes you out of the action as a spectator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back