NFL 2015 - Off Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird argument. Do they have an extra $8.5 million now or not? That's massive in free agency. They can sign McCourty with that and address a huge need at safety.

You already had more than enough cap space to sign McCourty, so it's not relevant.

Add in the fact that they're cycling their rebuild so the fact that you can sign Mccourty now doesn't do a tonne for your chances given how many positions will be shaken up.

By the time they're a contender again, they've suddenly got 4-5 big contracts again so in regards to actual results, the money is nothing.

Yes and now we can sign an extra player or spend more to get an even better one so it is relevant.

Okay, but you're failing to miss the point multiple people are making now; unless the Eagles spend almost all of their free cap space on top-tier talent guys, and go into the season with less than 6~ million cap space, then the cap space freed up by this trade is irrelevant.

Feel free to come back at us if this does take place and the Eagles once again try and build a dream team.

Okay, but you're failing to miss the point multiple people are making now; unless the Eagles spend almost all of their free cap space on top-tier talent guys, and go into the season with less than 6~ million cap space, then the cap space freed up by this trade is irrelevant.

Feel free to come back at us if this does take place and the Eagles once again try and build a dream team.

And if McCoy has an awful season running behind one of the worst lines in the NFL and Alonso becomes a legitimate starting ILB for us can I come back to you?

& how many clubs max out their cap? Really sounds like a lot of you guys don't budget - a little tip, you always want a little left over for those 'unexpected' expenses. Not being able to see that freeing up ~ $9mil doesn't provide a club with some advantage come FA is just shortsighted. & contract values 3/4/5 years down the road are what they are, they will either be big, small or in-between & lo & behold, the whole thing kicks off again.

You can keep an expensive talented player & hope for the best or bring in an inexpensive talented player, hope for the best & free up cap space in the meantime. But apparently one approach is wrong & one is right, go figure:confused:

But apparently one approach is wrong & one is right, go figure:confused:

I was merely responding to Zealbees statement that the cap space alone makes it a good trade; a statement with which I disagree.

Trading a 26 year old Top 3 running back for a 24 year old top 10-15 linebacker who has already had 2x ACL surgeries and a serious hip injury isn't what I am prepared to call a "win" for the Eagles like many Eagles fans seem to be suggesting, just because it frees up cap space.

After having seen how quickly Eagles "fans" are eager to character-assassinate players who leave the team, like they did with DeSean Jackson last year (what happened to those supposed 'gang stories' that were going to come out?), I find it very amusing to see Eagles quick to make excuses for this trade with statements along the lines of "Oh, well, McCoy was declining anyway! He only got 4.2 YPC in 2014".

Yeah, 4.2 YPC behind an OL that rotated 11 different guys through the positions during the season, and with opposing teams absolutely giving 0 hecks about Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin, and instead stacking the box regularly against McCoy.

Oh, and McCoy still finished 3rd in the NFL in rush yards.

So yeah, that's what people are getting at.

I was merely responding to Zealbees statement that the cap space alone makes it a good trade; a statement with which I disagree.

Trading a 26 year old Top 3 running back for a 24 year old top 10-15 linebacker who has already had 2x ACL surgeries and a serious hip injury isn't what I am prepared to call a "win" for the Eagles like many Eagles fans seem to be suggesting, just because it frees up cap space.

After having seen how quickly Eagles "fans" are eager to character-assassinate players who leave the team, like they did with DeSean Jackson last year (what happened to those supposed 'gang stories' that were going to come out?), I find it very amusing to see Eagles quick to make excuses for this trade with statements along the lines of "Oh, well, McCoy was declining anyway! He only got 4.2 YPC in 2014".

Yeah, 4.2 YPC behind an OL that rotated 11 different guys through the positions during the season, and with opposing teams absolutely giving 0 ****s about Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin, and instead stacking the box regularly against McCoy.

A 26 year old that has played 8 seasons already and had more carries than any other RB in the NFL over the past 3 or 4 seasons and was costing $11.95 million. See it for what it is. Right now of course McCoy is better than Alonso, but is he 9 times better than Alonso? Absolutely not.

Yeah, 4.2 YPC behind an OL that rotated 11 different guys through the positions during the season, and with opposing teams absolutely giving 0 ****s about Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin, and instead stacking the box regularly against McCoy.

yes, let's go the 'Eagles fans all crazy yo' argument - very weak approach - opining that a soon to be 27yo RB MAY be past his prime is not 'character assassination', it is a balanced outlook & McCoy should provide good/adequate numbers for a couple more years, but would those numbers justify his paypacket in Philly? I don't think so, & of course I'd love to see him still in green&black for a while, but he deserves to get paid while he can. & as others have said, lets see how McCoy goes behind another 'shizen OL' (not my opinion btw) next season...

So young for MJD

he would have been such a better player if he played for a better organization.
Despite what they are now, Jacksonville were a genuinely good franchise for a lot of MJDs career, and he certainly was helped by Del Rio's presence.

A fun player that I don't think was ever amazing perse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles would be crazy to do that deal. If Mariota turns out to be a dud that will negatively impact Evans. Also do u you think opposing defences will take a different approach with no McCoy in the backfield?

There's a wealth of WR talent in this year's draft, yeah may not be Evans-like studs....but man trading away your first two picks for the next 3 years??!! When has that ever worked?
Draft Day?

What a tight ass. Wouldn't take more than a four million dollar pay cut and even then he can make that back if he wins super bowl. Broncos had asked him to take a little more cut.
I didn't know you were in the upper echelons of the Broncos organisation and had an idea of what was going on, please tell me more about Peyton being a tight arse

I didn't know you were in the upper echelons of the Broncos organisation and had an idea of what was going on, please tell me more about Peyton being a tight arse
When hasn't he?

That's right

This will be his last year

We will be loaded next year anyway
Kellen Moore >>>>> Anything else you have behind center other than Manning.
What good is having a jet if you have no pilot?

Denver is ****ed post Manning.
Complete and utter failure. Go for the Lombardi, come out of it with nothing. 4 years wasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back