Anyone else sick of hearing about ANZAC Day and what makes us Australian yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

A big problem with the 24hr news cycle, social media and our massively increased exposure to information these days imo. Things get pumped up so ridiculously, and its almost inescapable for anyone 'on the grid', that people start resenting them. Wonder what sort of tipping point will be reached in the near future?

have these people trying to escape tried turning off the ******* tv? i haven't watched any tele since Monday, not through trying to get away, but simply because tv is filled with crap shows i've no interest in watching. instead i've hung out with mates, read books and played video games. i couldn't tele you anything that's been in the news since Monday specifically because i haven't watched or read any of it.

all without trying. it always amuses me when i see people complain they can't get away from it all, when they can't even manage to switch off the god damn tv.

The ALP are every bit the nationalists that the Liberals are. SRP lefties give Howard way too much credit.
The movie did so much more for it than any politician.

I am just wondering how different people were in WW1 compared to today.

People from that era IMO were more selfless, that is, human rights were not as strong as today, individual rights were not as strong, life itself was far cheaper and IMO the giving of one's life to a cause was far more accepted.

I often think of volunteers and the lack of them today compared with what i have read about back then, the spirit of giving, perhaps out of necessity was bigger, the spirit of volunteering for a cause was far more popular and just a accepted part of life.

I think about the tennis club i belong to, way back in the 1950's the original members of the tennis club mortgaged their collective houses to get a loan to build the clubhouse, i just don't think it would happen that way these days, people (or most) would just not do it, these days the tennis clubs like many clubs struggles to get any sort of a committee, plenty of people are keen to rock up to have a hit though.

I think people are far more selfish, society is consumer driven with the latest new products, i am not saying i am not part of it, i just think people today have very little understanding of what drove many men and women to sign up for Gallipoli or indeed WW1.

rant over.

Gallipoli, which won a string of awards and has been voted as Australia's favourite movie ever since.

Its an enduring childhood memory of mine. I got bullied at school afterwards, my folks were poms.

Mark lees character had a future in sprinting and chose to illegaly volunteer and invade another country killing its citizens. Mel Gibsons character was typical up himself bogan who fell for peer pressure. For some stupid reason I got beat up for it.

Where is the day for all of us who had family who were draft dodgers?

Its an enduring childhood memory of mine. I got bullied at school afterwards, my folks were poms.

Mark lees character had a future in sprinting and chose to illegaly volunteer and invade another country killing its citizens. Mel Gibsons character was typical up himself bogan who fell for peer pressure. For some stupid reason I got beat up for it.

I don't think it's because you were a Pom that you got bullied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is the day for all of us who had family who were draft dodgers?
You're right Gus, my old man moved countries twice to avoid national service, and didn't end up in Australia until he was old too old to be drafted for Vietnam. His Dad helped liberate Belsen, he saw what war did to people, where is pacifists day?
You serve by the way?

I don't think it's because you were a Pom that you got bullied.

Alot of English kids got it when that movie came out.

This pissed alot off as the movie projected the opinion it was the English generals using us as cannon fodder that killed Archy.

You're right Gus, my old man moved countries twice to avoid national service, and didn't end up in Australia until he was old too old to be drafted for Vietnam. His Dad helped liberate Belsen, he saw what war did to people, where is pacifists day?
You serve by the way?

Serve left handed.

None of my family bar one fought in any of the major wars. Several however did have some involvement in the 1916 Easter uprising. Something which is rarely mentioned is that some ANZACs were present there and killed some Irish citizens.

Our family story was always told that none would fight wars for any bastard British King or Queen.

The day used to be a sombre, low-key affair.

John Howard decided it should be a nationalistic rally.

Thats because members of first AIF were dead and most of the second AIF were dead too.

The day needed to be revitalised

I was shocked to see how esily a supposedly modern soceity bought into the falklands war, another war with extremely dubious moral stance.

Indeed britain in its first thatcher government was more at war with itself, stripping ordinary people of livelyhoods and hope. Crazy that some signed up so easily to such a dubious adventure.

Tens of thousands of british merchant seamen and officers recently thrown on the scrap by thatchers policies were asked to sign up.

I was eligible but id sooner poke my eyes with sharp sticks. i saw no patriotic worth in the venture at all

I got no problems with people getting excited and the local scouts marching on ANZAC day, i like to have a beer, punt, love 2 up and watch the footy and that is precisely what i have known servicemen, ex servicemen and civilians alike do.

The day means different things to different people, some sad, some somber, some happy ..... exactly like a funeral or a celebration can be and IMO it is both.

Most people are respectful even if they don't understand why, most people don't analyse it, they go with the flow and there is also nothing wrong with that.

Nope, they would not be embarrassed.

ANZACS fought for the crown and the ideals of British Empire.

They'd be embarrassed by their hipster great-great grandchildren who espouse moral relativism and can't see the enormous benefits of the legacy they left.

The British Empire continued the tradition of civilisation that was begun by the ancient Greeks and Romans. If you hate civilisation, feel free to go live in the scrub, take the Greens with you, you are a waste of oxygen.

What a load of crap. Those old diggers fought & died for their mates. They may have started with 'ideals' of King & Empire, but the call of adventure was what got most of them going. After a few battles in the mud & blood I can assure you they lost all that 'boys own rubbish'.

I've worked in health long enough to have met some of those old WW1 diggers & thats the facts of the matter.

WW2 was different in that they were directly protecting their country, but again they fought with & for their mates. In the middle of all that death & destruction, thats all they had to rely on, each other.

Same in Vietnam, it was an adventure for some, most were forced to go. The fought to survive, came back to be insulted by the antiwar crowds & to fight DVA for help. They too had to stick together during & after the war.

It still happens in the Iraq/Afghanistan mess.

King & country, piss off. It makes me sick just thinking about such rot.

What a load of crap. Those old diggers fought & died for their mates. They may have started with 'ideals' of King & Empire, but the call of adventure was what got most of them going. After a few battles in the mud & blood I can assure you they lost all that 'boys own rubbish'.

I've worked in health long enough to have met some of those old WW1 diggers & thats the facts of the matter.

WW2 was different in that they were directly protecting their country, but again they fought with & for their mates. In the middle of all that death & destruction, thats all they had to rely on, each other.

Same in Vietnam, it was an adventure for some, most were forced to go. The fought to survive, came back to be insulted by the antiwar crowds & to fight DVA for help. They too had to stick together during & after the war.

i sort of agree with your post, but not the bolded, according to another poster none were forced to go and that was my understanding as well.

The ALP are every bit the nationalists that the Liberals are. SRP lefties give Howard way too much credit.

What next Evo? You will be suggesting labour movement was responsible for White Australia Policy.

ANZAC Day and Internet Filter debate

#plasticlibertarians

Last edited:
Keating's performance at Kokoda in 1992 is evidence of that. His opportunistic kissing of the ground was a thinly-disguised excuse to pour a bucket on the Brits about Gallipoli. He then created a s**t storm of patriotic fervour about Kokoda to replace what he saw as the out-of-date one about Gallipoli. That he was wrong in describing that campaign as one that saved Australia can be put down to selective use of evidence.

What was unforgivable was the industry he created, which still infects book publishing like a pox. A bunch of journalists, school teachers and economists re-wrote history through lies, plagiarism and fantasy, in pursuit of a a blatantly leftist agenda. Other than to deride the very notion of left and right, this is the first time I have used this term on these boards, and I hate to do so in this instance, but that is the only possible conclusion to be drawn.

The above could describe any army in history. There is nothing especially Australian about any of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back