Anyone else sick of hearing about ANZAC Day and what makes us Australian yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

i think that's where i may have been confused with no conscripts being sent.

For the vast majority of soldiers in any war in memory, pensions, housing loans, medical bills payed etc are always at the forefront of peoples minds, or alternatively if they are younger, the adventure and thrill of it.

You should stick to commenting on subjects on which you are better informed.

When you join up you agree to serve wherever you're sent, no such thing as choice.
When you're conscripted you don't "join up" - you have no choice.
Technically "choosing" is not free will given the culture of pressure applied to conscripts

Prove that comment wrong, i was actually in the defence forces, were you ?.
I was also in the forces.
You'll notice the most gung-ho on these boards re: patriotism and sending forces overseas are those who never served.

I might also point out that many pensions, war service loans, furniture loans( yes there was one) has made life easier for the normal working man who joined the defence forces.

For example any Australian ship that was deployed to Vietnam has seen all the sailors receive those benefits such as war service home loans, war pensions, medical bills etc, the real truth of the matter was these blokes were in no real danger, most blokes knew this and played the system.

That is not to say i am putting them down for doing it, any normal bloke IMO would do the same thing.

The officers and sailors on those ships didn't make the rules that determined what they were entitled to and to suggest they played the system further demonstrates your ignorance and gross lack of knowledge.

The officers and sailors on those ships didn't make the rules that determined what they were entitled to and to suggest they played the system further demonstrates your ignorance and gross lack of knowledge.

Um, yes i know, i was in the Navy, if a loan was available at low rates, i wanted it, every other serviceman did the same thing.

That is playing the system.

Your insults are really way off base and not warranted.

I was also in the forces.
You'll notice the most gung-ho on these boards re: patriotism and sending forces overseas are those who never served.

Really? How do you differentiate between those who served and those who didn't amongst the 'gun-ho' posters?
Are they the same types who claim to have served in the 'forces' ?

Um, yes i know, i was in the Navy, if a loan was available at low rates, i wanted it, every other serviceman did the same thing.

That is playing the system.

Your insults are really way off base and not warranted.
You were talking specifically about those personnel on RAN ships involved in the Vietnam conflict and the benefits they were entitled to. You clearly inferred that they were in no real danger and that they knew that and played the system.
If you are insulted by that then so you should be.

Really? How do you differentiate between those who served and those who didn't amongst the 'gun-ho' posters?
Are they the same types who claim to have served in the 'forces' ?
Getting upset shows me you know I'm right.

It's fairly easy for someone who has served to pick who knows what they are talking about and who don't.
The most angry/reactionary of right-wing posters, without exclusion, have not served.

Getting upset shows me you know I'm right.

It's fairly easy for someone who has served to pick who knows what they are talking about and who don't.
The most angry/reactionary of right-wing posters, without exclusion, have not served.
I don't get upset with people who don't know what they're talking about I just pity them despite whether they claim to have served or not.

I don't get upset with people who don't know what they're talking about I just pity them despite whether they claim to have served or not.
Self-pity is destructive mate.

You should stick to commenting on subjects on which you are better informed.

Just checked your profile ..... 18 years old ?,

I guess your life experiences would have you better informed about the defence forces from all your years of military service, i bow to your superior knowledge and experience.

FFS :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checked your profile ..... 18 years old ?,

I guess your life experiences would have you better informed about the defence forces from all your years of military service, i bow to your superior knowledge and experience.

FFS :rolleyes:
You're even silly enough to believe what's on profiles:rolleyes:! Time to get back to the subject matter you've embarrassed yourself enough.

You should stick to the subject matter.
So tell us why you think ANZAC day should be a huge celebration, in lieu of what most veterans actually prefer?

You know, with all of your experience and wisdom which you have so kindly decided to completely hide from us all thus far.

You're even silly enough to believe what's on profiles:rolleyes:! Time to get back to the subject matter you've embarrassed yourself enough.

I would be interested to know why you would bother putting in false info into your profile on a football site ?.

It then begs the question of what else you are bullshitting about ?.

Anyway i don't wan't to look like i am pressing the point, so i will leave it there.

Last edited:
ANZACs have left a legacy of hardship, bravery and camaraderie and should always be remembered and commemorated as such.

However, one thing I've always questioned was the "fought for our freedom" term which often gets used. How can you fight for your own freedom 20,000kms away from your home against an enemy which probably didn't know you existed or had any ambitious claims towards Australian territory. I think many people still refuse to admit what the Gallipoli campaign really was in essence.

ANZACs have left a legacy of hardship, bravery and camaraderie and should always be remembered and commemorated as such.

However, one thing I've always questioned was the "fought for our freedom" term which often gets used. How can you fight for your own freedom 20,000kms away from your home against an enemy which probably didn't know you existed or had any ambitious claims towards Australian territory. I think many people still refuse to admit what the Gallipoli campaign really was in essence.

Except our freedom was really about the British Empire, being part of the empire was from all accounts a massive part of our psyche .

So tell us why you think ANZAC day should be a huge celebration, in lieu of what most veterans actually prefer?

You know, with all of your experience and wisdom which you have so kindly decided to completely hide from us all thus far.

Did I say that? How do you know what most verterans prefer?

What experience and wisdom, where have I claimed to possess either of those two qualities let alone 'hide from us all'?

Did I say that? How do you know what most verterans prefer?
I have been involved with many, many veterans and the overwhelming majority prefer something far more low key - and some of these are classmates who served.

The day is very important to many people but the over the top jingoistic nature is not what it is meant to be to those who matter.

I have been involved with many, many veterans and the overwhelming majority prefer something far more low key - and some of these are classmates who served.

I have as well, I will always remember a convo with one who served in 2 theaters. We both agreed , we'd prefer his life than that of an 18 year old today. So what did they fight for again? The world we have today is kindly brought to us by the people they fought for.

The day is very important to many people but the over the top jingoistic nature is not what it is meant to be to those who matter.

I'd hardly think that they would represent the overwhelming majority of veterans despite the fact that I share their opinion and sentiment.
I agree wholeheartedly with the second sentence of your post.
Tell me, do you attend a dawn service?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back