Post Game vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

We really need a couple player with blistering pace... Every time the Hawks could, they'd get it into Hill's hands... and he carved us up. We need some serious outside pace (that can hit targets)... I'd hate to be a St Kilda forward...

We really need a couple player with blistering pace... Every time the Hawks could, they'd get it into Hill's hands... and he carved us up. We need some serious outside pace (that can hit targets)... I'd hate to be a St Kilda forward...

Lonie and Saad are pretty quick, Webster is lightning quick, Jack Steven is pretty quick and just got caught a couple of times last night. if he was playing for the Hawks not the Saints he would have looked as quick as Hill and Rioli with the space they had compared to what he had to deal with.

Acres is as slow as a wet week.

Premies v wooden spooners, says a lot before the bounce.
- We went with a pretty short side I thought, Saad, Michington, Lonie, Sinclair, Curran, Templeton, Schneider, Montagna and I think that hurt us in the midfeild when some of them were playing there, as there were mismatches in opponents and that's where we seemed to loose a lot of the ball. Inexperience is a big factor but think we needed a balance when the younger blokes were in there.
- Even with the score, the backline (when they got the footy) seemed to work the ball out ok, the ball was coming in so fast, with hawks midfeild streaming in, the backline just couldn't compete. Our midfeilds weren't being accountable.
- Hickey did ok I thought but when another team is playing 2 ruckman we need too. It showed as the game went on. A pet hate of mine is when we are kicking it too hickey or our ruckman and kick it low...kick it high, his tall and more likely to mark it!
- getting guys like Riewoldt, Armitage, Geary, billings, savage etc. back will help the other younger blokes grow.

The amount of negativity (and complete lack of coherent writing and punctuation) on FB just proves to me that the vast majority of people out there are too stupid to be allowed access to an unrestrained soapbox.

People are slating the players, the club and each other, talking about ditching the club and so on... I say GOOD BLOODY RIDDANCE! What I really love is the fall-back to 'you're all deluded, only I know the truth' from the most strident of the whingers...

Most of those whining turds probably haven't, and have never, ponied up for a membership, or rattled a tin when the club was truly in need.

Pathetic from a lot of our supporter base. Genuinely pathetic.

i didnt think it looked that bad
Beagle.jpg
:p
A dog in pink-tinted glasses.... Jimmy Saville's doppelgänger

Others have said it but I thought Hickey looked reasonable up forward and proves an OK target up there.

Also thought Lewis Pierce played well in the amount of game time he had. Jumped early in the ruck a few times but took a nice contested grab on the wing.

The saints should remove all derogatory face book posts

It's clearly not monitored.

I don't look at it as it makes me angry.

They need to moderate it, and also post warnings like "no personal attacks or derogatory comments will be tolerated"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not wanting to take any light off the boys. Disposal wasn't great last night, lack of effort. We have areas to improve.

This is an interesting statistic from our last two games against Hawthorn.

Total Games Experience:
2014 Round 7: St Kilda (1927 games) vs. Hawthorn (2552 games).
2015 NAB3: St Kilda (1273 games) vs. Hawthorn (2872 games).

You take off Montagna last night (232 games), you have a team with nearly 3 times the experience playing against us.

And we were missing 7-9 automatic selections in the team (Riewoldt, Armitage, Geary, Savage, Billings, Ray, Webster, Ross, Gilbert). Versus a practically full strength premiership winning side that has only gotten stronger on the off season. Yes it was a underdone performance, and I'm not saying we've improved, but in light of 2014's performance it could of been a LOT worse.

I am not wanting to take any light off the boys. Disposal wasn't great last night, lack of effort. We have areas to improve.

Total Games Experience:

You take off Montagna last night (232 games), you have a team with nearly 3 times the experience playing against us.

And we were missing 7-9 automatic selections in the team (Riewoldt, Armitage, Geary, Savage, Billings, Ray, Webster, Ross, Gilbert). Versus a practically full strength premiership winning side that has only gotten stronger on the off season. Yes it was a underdone performance, and I'm not saying we've improved, but in light of 2014's performance it could of been a LOT worse.
If we were playing for points it probably would have been a lot worse.

Lol at people shitcanning Dunstan. His DE was down because he was one of the only guys creating play, it just didn't work out about half the time because a) full strength premiers b) working out game plan
Haven't seen one person shitcanning Dunstan, I made a comment that his lack of speed was a worry IMO. Someone brought up his DE was at 54% which it was, I haven't seen 1 comment that has been disrespectful towards Dunstan. Have only seen people who have had a different view on some players get shot down for their different opinion, which was not that much different to your opinion on Roborton & Shenton

Lonie and Saad are pretty quick, Webster is lightning quick, Jack Steven is pretty quick and just got caught a couple of times last night. if he was playing for the Hawks not the Saints he would have looked as quick as Hill and Rioli with the space they had compared to what he had to deal with.

Acres is as slow as a wet week.
Lonie is clever but slow. Like Schneider. Hes definitely not fast.
Webster - yes very quick.
Saad - I just dont know about him.
Savage - very quick.

Last edited:
The amount of negativity (and complete lack of coherent writing and punctuation) on FB just proves to me that the vast majority of people out there are too stupid to be allowed access to an unrestrained soapbox.

People are slating the players, the club and each other, talking about ditching the club and so on... I say GOOD BLOODY RIDDANCE! What I really love is the fall-back to 'you're all deluded, only I know the truth' from the most strident of the whingers...

Most of those whining turds probably haven't, and have never, ponied up for a membership, or rattled a tin when the club was truly in need.

Yeah its real frustrating. On FB there are supporters who clearly have no idea of how to build a list, why we are where we are currently, the age and experience of the team that ran out last night, tactics in general, (they're the ones who get angry when we pass back as we're trying to switch the play), and who don't know what 'switch the play' means :p.

I try not to look on FB anymore re Saints and our performance - fair weather supporters who will only jump on the bandwagon when we're winning. Hate those kind of people. It's all about loyalty - thru the good times and bad.

This. Nothing worse than watching the opposition take a look at the man on the mark and nonchalantly burn him off. I would love to have a Brad Hill in the side.

In regards to FB posts, I get annoyed when you are accused of disloyalty or told you clearly aren't a member (or, when you prove you are, to hand it in) because you are unhappy at the teams performance.
I have often been forced to delete posts because I am roundly and unfairly attacked in this manner for pointing out, in very reasonable terms, that we played poorly, that such-and-such player had a bad day, that losing was frustrating, etc.

I am realistic about where we are as a side, and as a financial contributor to our club as a member for 15 years and a former player sponsor and social club member, plus a fan since I was a teenager, I feel I have every right to express my opinion, even if it isn't a positive one (though I never go over the top and just abuse the club). I have been called worse things by Saints supporters on our own FB page than other clubs supporters on the AFLs one.

People need to check themselves and not abuse other supporters if their opinion happens to differ.

My old fella's one of the 'go on, kick is backwards again!' brigade, and clearly it's a generational thing, but to be honest I do see his/their point to a degree; whilst I appreciate switching the play and it's usefulness, to see players do it and stuff up in a vulnerable position, or do it because they're too scared to attack is extremely frustrating.

Total Games Experience:

Was waiting for someone to put up this stat! Cheers.

Can anyone tell me why Spencer didnt play?
Very odd that the wouldn't play in a single practice game.
Seems to strange to me. He is 20 years old.

It appears the coaching staff aren't happy with how he's been progressing, i.e. the lack of defensive pressure. They also probably wanted to focus on seeing what Membrey, Lee and Paddy have to offer.

It is always difficult at the start of the year. We inevitably get excited as the preseason commences and it is a letdown when it dawns on you just how far off the pace we still are. Sure it's one game, sure's it's NAB Cup, sure it's the Hawks, and sure we had a lot of players missing. However, the reality is that was not an AFL standard football team we saw last night. Not even close. I am sure it will improve as the season goes on, but we are clearly going to have a long year. People are naturally going to get frustrated after performances like that.

I also don't agree with supporters talking about ditching the club etc, but likewise I don't agree with jumping all over anybody who has the audacity to comment on the fact we sucked last night. You are calling people out for being too emotive after a loss, but in the same breath calling them stupid and pathetic. It is going to be a long season, and even longer one if you take offence to every comment that isn't some variation of "Everything's awesome"......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back