Post Game vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's the next link that we fall down in. Gwilt, Shenton, Roberton, Dempster and anyone else kicking in struggle for options. We used Dal Santo,Ray etc for the link up. CJ could be relied upon to use his extraordinary work rate to get back. We now rely on Wright, Newnes, Webster etc as our rebound backs. We sent Montagna back when Wright went down the other night. We need midfielders but these days that includes wings and rebound small defenders. We just don't have anyone that can stay on the park in that role. Gwilt spent a lot of last year looking around for options that didn't eventuate before playing on with a look of resignation.

I agree. The rucks and Bruce are also not doing enough to present as a marking option out of defensive kick ins as well, which only accentuates the deficiency in midfield targets. One thing I have noticed is that oppositions are willing to let Delaney find space to present in that link, perhaps they have identified he is a poor kick and there is a good chance of turnover off his boot?

One positive was when Curren was subbed on, he had about 5 touches in 3 minutes. Was happy with his endeavour considering he was thrown onto the half back flank, where he has never played before (I'm aware he had 2 games down back last year, but that was deep back pocket & he wasn't so great). I know he has his limitations, but he is a guy I'd keep on the list for at least another couple of years. He provides great motivation in the weights room (for obvious reasons), appears very well liked in the playing group & doesn't seem like a whinger, he just gets on with his role, whatever is required.

Even though its very early Sinclair and Lonie look like the goods. McCartin and Goddard will both take time but will be good players.. If McKenzie is as good as he's rated.. We hit another home run this off season.

Could be another year where we clear out the rookie list again. Upgrade Saad and Sinclair and retire Schneider.

One positive was when Curren was subbed on, he had about 5 touches in 3 minutes. Was happy with his endeavour considering he was thrown onto the half back flank, where he has never played before (I'm aware he had 2 games down back last year, but that was deep back pocket & he wasn't so great). I know he has his limitations, but he is a guy I'd keep on the list for at least another couple of years. He provides great motivation in the weights room (for obvious reasons), appears very well liked in the playing group & doesn't seem like a whinger, he just gets on with his role, whatever is required.
I think he was also shifted to tagging duties as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back