Opinion Pick your Round 1 side

Remove this Banner Ad

The only problem is though, his trick bag consists of one thing - get the ball, and wheel around onto his left foot (as his right foot is non-existent). The problem with that is that opposition sides aren't stupid, and they've worked out which way he goes. So he has to add something different to what he offers very, very quickly. He can't use either injury of lack of opportunity as an excuse either; he's had no major injuries since he started and he's enjoyed one hell of a charmed run at the selection table. Time to deliver.
Yeah I agree with that. I suppose what I'm trying to say is if Murdoch wants to get back into the side(I know he's not out yet but you know what I mean) he needs to go back to VFL and try and get it 20-30 times a game, find some form and take the game on at all times. He needs to learn how to use his one big asset (trick if you will) or he is going to drop away and be another coulda been. If he can start to do that at VFL level and gain some confidence then he could be an asset to the senior side. At the moment he is not providing anything to the side, he isn't even playing to his strengths so he is a liability and we have other options with speed for his spot eg Lang, Cockatoo, Gregson. I'd even put Smedts ahead of him.

I think the team is pretty much locked away as described above by others, Lang and Cockatoo will play. I think Murdoch and Kertsten will miss after disappointing pre-seasons. Bews will play. It would not shock me if Cowan pushed out Horlin-Smith. They LOVE him.

The only point of contention is whether one of Simpson/Mcintosh play or we go with the Blicavs and Walker (+Clark) combo again. There is some appeal in having Walker really stretch them as a marking target.

However, I don't think Blicavs has been given enough ruck work that we can confident he can do a job 90% on his own. Simpson will probably play.

I think the team is pretty much locked away as described above by others, Lang and Cockatoo will play. I think Murdoch and Kertsten will miss after disappointing pre-seasons. Bews will play. It would not shock me if Cowan pushed out Horlin-Smith. They LOVE him.

The only player that didn't appear in the AFL side in the preseason that should be considered is McIntosh. Gregson featured in all three AFL practice matches. He definitely should be ahead of Cowan in the pecking order right now and if he wasn't, they should have swapped the two of them on the weekend.

B: Bews, Lonergan, Rivers
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Duncan, Selwood, Guthrie
HF: Motlop, Clark, Lang
F: Cockatoo, Hawkins, Stokes
R: McIntosh, Johnson, Bartel
I/C: Kelly, Caddy, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith

Emerg: Simpson, Gore, Cowan

I don't know whether or not the MC will take the punt on playing Walker as part of a 3-pronged all-out attack, given the risk of it making it too easy for Hawthorn to stream out of defence into attack once the ball hits the deck or we miss our targets.
But if they do add Walker, I think it very highly likely that they will also take steps to minimise that risk by then playing Murdoch, given how highly the MC rated him last season as a defensive forward.
I doubt that they'll be playing either of Walker or Murdoch Fred.

I don't think they'll play Walker either.
Murdoch is on 42 games.
8 more games and he hits the Magic 50, and automatically, as everyone knows, immediately turns from a pumpkin into a superstar.
Check your inbox Fred and no it's not a letter bomb for not going with Walker.:D

Bews Lonergan Rivers
Enright Taylor Mackie
Duncan Bartel Cockatoo
Johnson Clarke Stokes
Caddy Hawkins Motlop
Simpson Guthrie Selwood
Blitz Kelly GHS Smedts

Would love to have Clarke as first ruck. But at the moment in the absence of any sign of Walker/Stanley, Clarke can't do both. I really like Blitz but some of the criticism of his actual rucking abilities is quite true, but I think with he and Clarke both helping out we can cover the second spot. I am still not convinced on Simpson but Hamish has not done much so far.

I want to see Cockatoo make his debut, and give the young feller a full game. Pace like fire. Very excited but don't want to jinx anything and no comparisons with any certain Polish type of players in the past.

Murdoch has done little and I would put Smedts in his place, although very tempted to play Lang.

Neither Caddy nor George have been overwhelming but both have shown they can play and it is still warm up time.

Murdoch is on 42 games. 8 more games and he hits the Magic 50, and automatically, as everyone knows, immediately turns from a pumpkin into a superstar.
Funny how they dumped that Taylor Hunt superstar though and I personally think THunts first 42 games were superior to Murdoch's.

My final side I want for Round 1:

FB: Bews - Lonergan - Rivers
HB: Enright - Taylor - Mackie
C: Duncan - Caddy - Guthrie
HF: Johnson - Clarke - Cockatoo
FF: Lang - Hawkins - Motlop
R: McIntosh - Bartel - Selwood
INT: Blitz - Kelly - GHS - Stokes
EMG: Walker - Smedts - Gregson

Some tough choices.
Really rate Walker I just don't want to test the 3-tall setup against the Hawks Round 1.
Kersten & Murdoch, will need to put a few good performances in the VFL before being called up.
Have absolutely no idea what we would do with a fit Vardy, Stanley, Cowan (...Menzel :'( ) pushing down the door for seniors but it's good to have the depth!

B: Bews Lonergan Enright
HB: Rivers Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Selwood Stokes
HF: SJ Clark Motlop
F: Cockatoo Hawkins Lang
Foll: Simpson Bartel Guthrie
Int: Blicavs Kelly GHS Caddy
Emerg: Gregson Murdoch Walker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a spot in this side for Cowan if he can stay fit and string together a few decent VFL games. I'd say they'll take it slowly with him considering his long injury history but his combination of speed and ability to play a few different roles would be pretty attractive right now.

Murdoch is on 42 games.
8 more games and he hits the Magic 50, and automatically, as everyone knows, immediately turns from a pumpkin into a superstar.
Can't we just fudge his official games tally and save us the 8 games of pain?? :p

B: Bews Lonergan Enright
HB: Rivers Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Selwood Stokes
HF: SJ Clark Motlop
F: Cockatoo Hawkins Lang
Foll: Simpson Bartel Guthrie
Int: Blicavs Kelly GHS Caddy
Emerg: Gregson Murdoch Walker
A lot these teams are almost the same, only one or two positions up in the air. Which is a good thing, as unlikely to be any major controversies. Hopefully no injuries in the next fortnight.

Good lateral thinking.
Of course, in Rd 5, Blicavs does the Magical Morph into the new combo Peter Moore/Jim Stynes/Dean Cox/Nic Natanui.
Blitz certainly has the Jim Stynes handicap of coming from nowhere. Hope he can become half the player Stynes was.

IMO, to beat the Hawks, you have to outscore them ( duh of course ) but you get my point. Its not that you can negate them - or we can't at the moment.
So let go, in this game, what we can't do, and embrace what we can. Stretch their back 6 height wise and roll the dice to kick more than they do. Walker will help that more than Murdoch on current form.
I am a little worried whether Walker is up to it. Did he play any NAB? Is he fit? Also three tall forwards is an experiment that always risks a team being overan by pace, and of course if it rains the third tall becomes almost useless. Given form surely Hawk and Clarke should be enough to stretch the Hawks and we have two ruckmen of whom at least one should be able to double back at some stage to create a mismatch in their defense. I am inclined to stick with Murdoch/Smedts or perhaps bring in Lang to do some extra tackling on the forward line.

IMO, to beat the Hawks, you have to outscore them ( duh of course ) but you get my point. Its not that you can negate them - or we can't at the moment.
So let go, in this game, what we can't do, and embrace what we can. Stretch their back 6 height wise and roll the dice to kick more than they do. Walker will help that more than Murdoch on current form.

Our back 6 should hold their own and if the MF can break even - a big ask - we are in the hunt.

I guess looking at the best 22's and looking at the Hawks performances in NAB, we need to try something a little different than last year. Not a massive change - but roll the dice and play to their weaknesses that have worked for us before. We have not had the pieces till now but we gotta try.

I just don't want to see Clarko out point us again from his box.

Go Catters

And let's not forget - this isn't just that much of a speculation - Walker is in red hot form in the 2's. And is fit. And has come off a great AFL finals series (for a young player). He's definitely ready to play. And to be selected for this game rewards his hard work and effort and will further bolster his confidence.

If you have Lang and Motlop near any of Hawks, Clark's or Walkers feet - we will definitely snaffle any crumbs or have the requisite pressure on their rebounding defence.

And let's not forget - this isn't just that much of a speculation - Walker is in red hot form in the 2's. And is fit. And has come off a great AFL finals series (for a young player). He's definitely ready to play. And to be selected for this game rewards his hard work and effort and will further bolster his confidence.

If you have Lang and Motlop near any of Hawks, Clark's or Walkers feet - we will definitely snaffle any crumbs or have the requisite pressure on their rebounding defence.
Has Lang had a single crumb in his three pre season games? He has had some tackles and got on the end of some uncontested possessions but don't think I've seen him once crumb a contest. Don't think he is that sort of player.

I havent read the thread - bar the last 3 posts - but i would be playing Clark in the ruck - the times hes gone in there hes looked great - the back handed taps - plus hes so mobile and he can mark around the ground

There was a kick in in the last qtr yesterday - Casboult took the mark - Simpson just cant get to the contests - Clark would have out marked Casboult

These dinosaur - half crippled bean poles - have been a disaster for Geelong in the ruck - Hale is honest - yet Geelong make him look like a blooody superstar

The ideal situation going forward - would be Clark and Stanley in the ruck - wont that be a joy - 2 mobile athletic blokes who can actually keep up and beat the opposition

Anyone who wants Clark at CHF -want to remember when Geelong had Ablett and Stoneham as their 2 key forwards - that was a pretty good combination - but it wasnt enough against the Eagles - because Geelong would get killed in the ruck and around the ground

Against Hawthorn it is super important to get possession - because when theve got it - with their elite kicking skills - and their pidddly 12 metre short passing - its hard to get off them - id back Hawkins in ( looks in great touch ) and have Clark in the ruck to give Geelong 1st possession - which is essential against Hawthorn

And let's not forget - this isn't just that much of a speculation - Walker is in red hot form in the 2's. And is fit. And has come off a great AFL finals series (for a young player). He's definitely ready to play. And to be selected for this game rewards his hard work and effort and will further bolster his confidence...
One game but not considered good enough to play in any of the AFL NAB games. I cannot see him being picked. Moreover since Hawkins and Clarke and only just beginning to gel together I do not see the wisdom in throwing in a third tall forward into the mix in Round 1. With 4 tall defenders (over 190cm) two ruckmen and three KPF we would be top heavy and Hawthorn would laugh as they chipped the ball around our slow monsters. If Walker was being considered for Round 1 I am sure he would have been given a run already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back