Official Club Stuff 2015 Membership - target 60 000+ REACHED

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2015-03-26/ptv-2015-membership-tvc

Hopefully our figures to date mean we won't be buying up too much airtime for this one.

I like this ad. Yeah they could have left the crows bit out, but so what. First and foremost it is an ode to the fans. The ones who were there when it was tough, those who jumped on and now raring to go on. Last night Kochie, at the season launch in a pre taped video, like in so many other speeches, reminded us where we have come from. I have heard him say it so many times, but so what. He was never going to oversee a different type of ad to one showing our progress. We have 57,000 members in the bank, looking for another 3,000 to 5,000, so this is more about saying thanks, rather than please jump on board, we need you.

It reminds me of the video Bruce Springsteen made in late 2013 when his 18 month, 133 show, 3.5 million attendees tour came to an end. It was his first tour without founding member the Big Man Clarence Clemons. He took a song by 1970's NY punk band Suicide, called Dream Baby Dream (which he had only sung about 50 times on his 2005 tour) and made the video of the song as an ode to the fans and saying thanks for turning up in great numbers. 90% of the video has the fans in it, smiling, laughing, singing, dancing, dancing in the rain, dancing on stage with the Boss and Band, crying, being apprehensive, waving their hands, shaking their fists, pointing, jumping, swaying, some drinking booze, there's an old bloke with a longish white beard enjoying himself, some pretty girls, kids, men, women, everyone engaging one way or another with what was happening on the stage. Just like our new commercial, just itwas 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

Last edited:
I like this ad. Yeah they could have left the crows bit out, but so what. First and foremost it is an ode to the fans. The ones who were there when it was tough, jumped and now raring to go on. Last night Kochie, at the season launch in a pre taped video, like in so many other speeches, reminded us where we have come from. I have heard him say it so many times, but so what. He was never going to oversee a different type of ad to one showing our progress. We have 57,000 members in the bank, looking for another 3,000 to 5,000, so this is more about saying thanks, rather than please jump on board, we need you.

It reminds me of the video Bruce Springsteen made in late 2013 when his 18 month, 133 show, 3.5 million attendees tour came to an end. It was his first tour without founding member the Big Man Clarence Clemons. He took a song by 1970's NY punk band Suicide, called Dream Baby Dream (which he had only sung about 50 times on his 2005 tour) and made the video of the song as an ode to the fans and saying thanks for turning up in great numbers. 90% of the video has the fans in it, smiling, laughing, singing, dancing, dancing in the rain, dancing on stage with the Boss and Band, crying, being apprehensive, waving their hands, shaking their fists, pointing, jumping, swaying, some drinking booze, there's an old bloke with a longish white beard enjoying himself, some pretty girls, kids, men, women, everyone engaging one way or another with what was happening on the stage. Just like our new commercial, just itwas 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

Love your work, manage to get The Boss in whenever you can

Love your work, manage to get The Boss in whenever you can

Footy is an analogy for life and music, music is an analogy for life and sport, life is an analogy for footy and music. Simple really.

I also sent the video to Andrew Fuss in late 2013 Jan 2014 suggesting an ode to fans type video along those lines. He went and watched the Boss a month later at the AEC.

Last edited:

This is why the club is working hard on having demand exceed supply for 11 game memberships. We'll then have those ready to replace people who are there purely due to on-field performance. We had a cluster **** of poor performance, poor game day experience, a crow branded stadium out away from everything, poor player attitude (some), moving away from being Port and the feeling the club had no control (our license).

Everything has / is being done so that of those only the inevitable performance drop due to the draft cycle should apply anytime in the future. All of this should ensure our future.
The other thing that should ensure a viable future for the club is that we've escaped that cesspool known as AAMI Stadium. At least we now play at an awesome new stadium - I for one would continue to go to games, even if we're not playing well, simply because of Adelaide Oval.

She is the epitome of a default supporter.

So long as my 14 month old son sees the light when he is old enough I will be able to get her on board. It's the long game. She was legit upset after the Elimination final.

I will never forget her comment after the Freo final last year 'You know that I don't go for Port but it actually seems like they have a few good players'. Bless her cotton socks.

Be sure to check all gifts given to your son. Any crow's s**t from grandparents, uncles or aunties must be thrown out or burnt.

Good luck!

The Crows reference in the ad probably isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It didn't talk about how we compete with them at all, which is important.

It's not the people who left and came back that phase me,as I live in Perth and always have a Port hat or shirt on I'm forever meeting people who walk up and say oh nice shirt are you a Port fan etc then ya talk to em and get the I only jumped on last week or year or whatever that get me.I'll talk footy with em which is always a limited conversation with those type of fans but part of me doesn't like it or that band wagon type.Cos deep down you know if someone else wins a few they'll jump over to that one.Now if a band wagoner of that type commits,buys into who we are as a club,goes all in I'll appreciate them more and I've met a few of that type,hell I've turned a few of the bandwagoners to members over here.Anyone can jump on our bandwagon their all welcome,but it takes a special type to commit into this club as a fan as we all know,Port Adelaide is more then us winning or losing each week,it's a passion and a way of life.
Dont get me started on those WCE chodes....

Anyone with an 1870 membership able to tell me what events i get to attend.
No they havent been announced. You will get an email when they do. But it will be one Power and one Magpie event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the ad. Only change I would have made is rather stay single than marry an opposition supporter, than marry a Crows supporter. Would have reinforced we've moved beyond #sagreat, whilst they are still stuck there. Otherwise the starting shout out to those of us who stuck fat with the club when it was all dark clouds was a great touch.

tx......I just wanted to know what it was like.
They are great. Im on my phone but when Im on my computer in a couple of hours I will list what the club has done over the previous 3 years and how they are getting bigger and bigger.

I don't have a problem with the reference to the crows in the ad. In the context of the ad it is just about being so passionate about Port that you couldn't entertain the thought of marrying a crows supporter. It acknowledges the rivalry within SA between Port and the crows without actually bagging the crows. It's a thank-you to the die-hard fans with a bit of humour thrown in.

They gave away a membership with the entry ticket for the GC or GWS game... Happened when we neared them...
Yes. And I think that the cows will not be releasing numbers until they can sell single game memberships starting next week end show that they have more members than us.

This was NO 10-hour product. The Club was working on the ad for weeks.

The key objectives were to 1) be noticeably different from all the other clubs' membership calls, 2) define the PAFC person today and 3) finish with a simple '"Thank you" to members and supporters.

Over the production period the verse changed, the words were tinkered with and ... brilliantly ... a finishing touch of sophisticated humour was applied.
Several different voices were trialled.
My eyebrows, I admit, went up when I heard the 'Crow' reference in the final version. I wondered what the reaction would be from West Lakes and the ugh 19th Man (god I wish whoever came up with that a long career at Crowville).
It's been wet.

I like the suggestion by Janus just now that the reference to not marrying a Crows supporter implied our people are, quite simply, hotter. Funny.
I'd add that we're far better at partnerships.

I also worked out that the scoreboard at the start is likewise aimed at the 19th (spew) Man. We've had '119' thrown in our face since 2007, and deservedly so. Putting it up there, up front, is a sign that we can handle it, have handled it. It's a flick in their face. Take your dumb jibe and stick it, that's the message. We're over it. You're not, and you weren't even there.

A 10-hour job? Nah. '19th Man' now that's a 10-hour job, of which 9 hours and 59 minutes were spent sharpening pencils.

A 10-hour job? Nah. '19th Man' now that's a 10-hour job, of which 9 hours and 59 minutes were spent sharpening pencils.

:D:D The rest of your post :thumbsu::thumbsu:

This was NO 10-hour product. The Club was working on the ad for weeks.

The key objectives were to 1) be noticeably different from all the other clubs' membership calls, 2) define the PAFC person today and 3) finish with a simple '"Thank you" to members and supporters.

Over the production period the verse changed, the words were tinkered with and ... brilliantly ... a finishing touch of sophisticated humour was applied.
Several different voices were trialled.
My eyebrows, I admit, went up when I heard the 'Crow' reference in the final version. I wondered what the reaction would be from West Lakes and the ugh 19th Man (god I wish whoever came up with that a long career at Crowville).
It's been wet.

I like the suggestion by Janus just now that the reference to not marrying a Crows supporter implied our people are, quite simply, hotter. Funny.
I'd add that we're far better at partnerships.

I also worked out that the scoreboard at the start is likewise aimed at the 19th (spew) Man. We've had '119' thrown in our face since 2007, and deservedly so. Putting it up there, up front, is a sign that we can handle it, have handled it. It's a flick in their face. Take your dumb jibe and stick it, that's the message. We're over it. You're not, and you weren't even there.

the scoreboard isn't the 119 one however. It's an even bigger loss to hawthorn during the very dark days

the scoreboard isn't the 119 one however. It's an even bigger loss to hawthorn during the very dark days

You mean they've changed the ad again ? :eek:

tx......I just wanted to know what it was like.

The first year of Club 1870 there was either 63 or 65 of us. The main reason I joined up in November 2011 was because Eddie Dingle who lives in Sydney signed up, talked his mate in Darwin to sign up and said its a way of helping out the club and it will set us up to get the best seats possible at AO and he said if I was still living in SA in 2014 I could hold on to his ticket when he cant catch a game. We had 3 seats together on level 3 of the eastern stand in 2014.

In 2013 it grew to 130 members and last year at the April event it was 283, KT said the club would cap it to 300, so Eddie signed up his 2 daughters a couple of days later, so thats at least 285 in 2014 and we now have 4 seats together with one a couple of rows behind us. I have been to 5 of the 6 events and every time between 50%-70% of the members that year have turned up, so its still a reasonably interment event even with 140 people. I reckon close to 20 Big Footy members are Club 1870 members.

May - a Power function mid week at Alberton - I missed it because I was in Sydney but you can read about it here in particular TSW's summary page 3 post 44
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/club-1870-night-tuesday-22-may-2012.946525/

June - A Magpies function on game day at Alberton - Met up around 1pm had drinks and finger food Tony Bamford addressed us about the game strategy etc. Can't remember but one other assistant coach there. KT was there. We could have beers and nibbles at 1/4 time and half time. About 35 rocked up

The August showdown they invited club 1870 members to walk on the ground as the players warmed up about 40 minutes before bounce down so we could take photos up close as we were allowed to stand near the boundary line.

May - a Power function mid week at Alberton - About 70 rock up. Meet up stairs at Port club. KT gives a brief chat. Brett Ebert, Chad and Hammer were the players there for the night. Had a long chat to Hammer as we walked from the room to the Alan Scott building. We get a 20 minute chat and Q&A with Ken. It was the Wednesday after he missed the game in Hobart with a crook back. I asked him a Question about our players look better educated and our structures were so much better than 2012 and asked if he could go thru what he worked on in the preseason. He talked about game day simulation questions the players were tested on over the preseason, and they had to keep doing them until they got it right. I asked if we had done that in the past and Kenny asked the players and Hammer said no. This game simulation stuff has never been discussed in the media Then we got a bit of a tour of the place and had Burgo talk to us about the fitness stuff in the large training facility. In the Q&A section I asked about the work wrestling coach John Donohue had done and the Snake Pit over summer and Hammer gave a long graphic answer everyone at some point squirmed to what they went through. I asked Burgo if the media reports were true that he couldnt watch and he said yes. Then we were supposed to have 20 minutes with Alan Richardson in the players lecture room, got 40, and if Ben didnt say we had to move on, then he would have gone for another hour. He gave us a great insight into some of the data and analytical tools they use and the way they give feedback to players. he asked us to keep that to ourselves. As we were leaving I was last out and whilst waiting for others to go out I asked Richo if wrestling coach John Donohue had a sado masochistic streak and he smiled and said yes and added to what he had showed us in the video of the Snake Pit work. Then went and spent over 40 minutes with then Magpies CEO and 4 time premiership player Brian Leys in the Magpies rooms under the Williams family stand. That was sensational to be in the room and smell the lineament of where so many of our greats had been.

October - At Alberton - mainly a Magpie function as Buddha and KT talked about the new Magpie structure. there were a few Magpie players there. They also talked about the traded players and strategy and a bit about the Power's plans. KT talked a fair bit about the new academies and the west coast zone and not abandoning them. There was a couple of video presentation and a preview of the new membership ad I think. Probably 50-60 people and went for 90 minutes or so. Booze and finger food.

April - At Adelaide Oval in Port's ONE Suite - level 3 of the Riverbank stand. About 130 people there. KT gave a great speech. Will have to find the link of where i wrote about it. We then went down to the change rooms. Polec, Impey and Matt White were there. Along with Ford Fairlane and pastmyprimus we spoke to Phil walsh for about 20 minutes and then I thought Id better go look at the members name board, look around the facilities, talk to the players I mentioned, saw the big J-Mac muriel etc, that took about 25 minutes and Ford was still talking footy to Phil Walsh. This thread is about that night and worth a read to get a feel for how good KT's speech was.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/one-club-one-heart.1058757/

July - At Alberton, for Magpies function when we played North. About 110 people turned up. Started up stairs at the Port Club, went over to the training facility to see the Maggies warm up. Had speeches from officials etc. More at this thread.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...on-saturday-for-magpies-v-north-game.1069487/

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back