Collingwood’s Josh Thomas, Lachie Keeffe accept two-year bans for taking banned drug clenbuterol

Remove this Banner Ad

How stupid are the people who use the defence "no positive test", all the hardcore users are using derivative of the main drugs which are not detectable.

The drugs used by the bombers would not come up on a test. Furthermore they would have been cycling the drug usage like every good drug cheat.

These two players are plain stupid for just going for the straight stuff, if you're going to cheat do it properly.

Thought I read the Cologne laboratory has this facility.
They do. But they only have a LC-MS. However they do not have a "mass spectral library" that contains the necessary data that recognizes Thymosin beta 4. I do not think they have a LC-HRMS machine which potentially does not require prior recognition.

Thomas, Keeffe & Tom bell from carlton all live together. I hope Tom hasnt been apart of this saga.. and nothing to date says that he has been so lets hope it stays that way..

End of the day the B sample will almost definetly come back positive.

These players only hope is that they can prove they ate a meat that contained this substance..

But looking at the evidence at hand, I would say that they are guilty as hell.

The good news for the AFL industry is that Collingwood wont be taking Asada to court to stop the investigation. So this saga wont drag on for 2 years. I mean why would they, I think they would want to know if there players are taking performance enhacing drugs. cough hird cough essendon

I'll use the Jobe Watson interview

1. Signed form that he was taking legal thymosin (thymomodulin)
2. Observed vial labelled thymomodulin
3. Received injection of vial labelled thymomodulin

Thus Watson believed he was receiving thymomodulin. If he was duped by individuals falsely labelling vials then I don't think it is reasonable to punish player under that circumstance.

The players initiated consent forms as they wanted to ensure they were compliant. They actually went above and beyond the requirements at the time.
Of course this all relies on whether Jobe was telling the truth or not doesn't it?

Two minutes of research would have told Jobe that there is no benefit in injecting thymomodulin, he could have just had some baby formula instead, or was it alpha1 he was using, last I heard the players lawyers hadn't decided which excuse to use?

Last edited:
Anyone else think it's odd that we seem to be seeing a lot more positive tests and situations of Performance enhancing drugs these days??

Not at all.

As more people get caught it just encourages more players to seek it out, as they realise they need an edge to stay in the game.

The only thing is that the players have done no research how to cheat properly and thus increase their chance of getting caught. With the amount of tests the players are subject too the reward for the risk is worth it. This is especially if you have a good supplier (Proper Chemist), worked out the dosages, cycles, masking agents etc..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How stupid are the people who use the defence "no positive test", all the hardcore users are using derivative of the main drugs which are not detectable.

The drugs used by the bombers would not come up on a test. Furthermore they would have been cycling the drug usage like every good drug cheat.

These two players are plain stupid for just going for the straight stuff, if you're going to cheat do it properly.
Similar to people saying Cousins had never returned a positive test to drugs. He's got permeant psychosis but don't worry, his record is clean.

The only issue is that you are wrong

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Anti-Doping Code 2015 FINAL.pdf

25. Consequences to Teams Where more than one Player from a Club has been notified of a possible Anti-Doping Rule Violation in any one season, the Club shall be subject to Target Testing for the remainder of the season. If more than one Player in a Club is found to have committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation during a season, the Club may be subject to sanctions to be determined, in their absolute discretion, by the Commission.
I linked the WADA code, AFL may not have updated that clause which is interesting

Similar to people saying Cousins had never returned a positive test to drugs. He's got permeant psychosis but don't worry, his record is clean.

Yeah exactly.

The fact is drug testing isn't done everyday! and the tests are years behind detecting the latest drugs.

WADA has long penalties in the attempt to pursue people from using, which works for the majority. However, after been in the system you realise the likelihood of getting caught is pretty slim if you do it properly.

no-one seems to be focusing on the fact that it's two players. One you can understand, it's a rogue player juicing on his own time. But two? Is it then naive to think there aren't others who are at least aware and probably involved? And they were on a trip away, where do two people independently source this stuff?

I agree. Of course players juice. But they do it "independently", probably on a nod and a wink from the club medico.

But we all know Essendon's problem was they made it systemic. They put Dank literally on the payroll.

The plan was to mimic all the effects of PEDs without actually breaking the letter of the WADA code. (Well, for the players, caching staff were jacking all kinds of very banned substances). In theory, an excellent plan. Stay one step ahead etc.

Problem is Danksy stuffed up. And if you're sailing that close to the wind you can't afford to stuff a single thing up. But Danksy did.

Hence the disaster/hilarity now.

Son of Skeletor can you put into your own words what your problem with what I said is please?

He said they should get four years just for being idiots.

You said that stupidity is no excuse, and that they should get four years - no excuses.

I kinda find it humourous.

Head in sand if you think Demetriou and co didn't concoct the whole self reporting and governance issue.

Yes yes yes...it was also Demetriou and co that employed Dank, set him up with a back room dungeon to set up as an injection room, had Hexarelin onsite, sourced TB4 from a drug peddler in Charter etc etc...

Doesn't help that we've been treated under the "guilty until proven innocent" school of thought.
Well done to Collingwood, particularly Gary Pert and Nick Maxwell, in coming out strongly once this story broke.

Essentially they will sit in the background and allow ASADA to investigate the situation properly, which is great, considering that's exactly what ASADA is meant to do. In the mean time though, they will help Keefe and Thomas pursue any legal avenues they wish to, however they will only HELP them, not guide them, as it isn't the club's place to do so.

I know it's hard to compare this situation with the Essendon one, but I just wish that we had handled the situation as well as Collingwood have. I know this story is only in its infancy, but Collingwood supporters should be proud of their club's actions up to this point.

One thing we can be thanking essendon for...not how to handle this type of situation..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back