Hawthorn sledge Clark? Clark doesn't think so : Joel Selwood cries wolf

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-09/clark-sledged-by-hawks

This is another terrible article. The journalist trying to make something up by using quotes in vague context. So does this mean that for the rest of year we are now going to get scrutinised for this? All the nuffties will be all over this.

What this article "OUGHT" to be about; is the current state of mental fragility & 'Scarring' we have inflicted upon the Geelong Football Club.

This mob, as symbolized by it's coach & Captain, are currently leaking like a sieve....If anyone outside that club was in any doubt as to their inability to wear the boot on the other foot so far as handing out punishment on the field, then there can be no doubt about it now!

One week into a season & already they are not coping....The pathetic spectacle of using Clark as a scapegoat for their own current predicament, following on from their need to disclose the reasons behind Motlop's suspension; reeks of a mob that is emotionally leaking all over the place.

They resemble a listing ship at the moment, that's taking on water fast through all of the cracks in it's foundations....All the Dockers need do, is fire one single torpedo to their mid-ships & they will sink with a minimum of fuss or effort....And as we all know young Joel & Chris Scott, A Captain & his Admiral must go down with their ship!

Not once in our 11 game losing streak, did Clarko & Hodge proffer a single excuse, nor look for scapegoats to blame it on...The Cats are a bunch of sore losers & psychological piss-ants, without a modicum of grace nor class....Pathetic!

Who cares professional sport involves Onfield sledging if you can't cope for it then your not cut out for professional sport... Id have a massive problem if it was racially based though.

Clark for all we know could be one of the greatest actors of our game, no one really knows why he left the game, there has been and rightfully so people question his motives. The guy left Brisbane as he stated he wanted to play back home in Freo to be closer to his family, next he signs a multi million dollar deal at the Dees.

I have lost a mate to clinical depression, it's not something that can be fixed in 12 months. His whole situation seems sketchy and inconsistent, and whilst I wouldn't be sledging him about depression I wouldn't shy away from baking him about other things.

If it is just general sledging full stop and he has issues with coping with it I don't know if a lot can be done. If there was any sledging based on his mental illness its not on. People die (regularly) of clinical depression. People are generally born with clinical (rather than situational) depression. I doubt it's the latter as Hawthorn as a club has been awesome at recognising this is as an important issue for the community and it would surprise me if one of our players would stoop that low.

If it is just general sledging full stop and he has issues with coping with it I don't know if a lot can be done. If there was any sledging based on his mental illness its not on. People die (regularly) of clinical depression. People are generally born with clinical (rather than situational) depression. I doubt it's the latter as Hawthorn as a club has been awesome at recognising this is as an important issue for the community and it would surprise me if one of our players would stoop that low.

Nah its probably just Selwood having a sook trying to come to grips with the fact they won't be beating us for the foreseeable future.

What this article "OUGHT" to be about; is the current state of mental fragility & 'Scarring' we have inflicted upon the Geelong Football Club.

This mob, as symbolized by it's coach & Captain, are currently leaking like a sieve....If anyone outside that club was in any doubt as to their inability to wear the boot on the other foot so far as handing out punishment on the field, then there can be no doubt about it now!

One week into a season & already they are not coping....The pathetic spectacle of using Clark as a scapegoat for their own current predicament, following on from their need to disclose the reasons behind Motlop's suspension; reeks of a mob that is emotionally leaking all over the place.

They resemble a listing ship at the moment, that's taking on water fast through all of the cracks in it's foundations....All the Dockers need do, is fire one single torpedo to their mid-ships & they will sink with a minimum of fuss or effort....And as we all know young Joel & Chris Scott, A Captain & his Admiral must go down with their ship!

Not once in our 11 game losing streak, did Clarko & Hodge proffer a single excuse, nor look for scapegoats to blame it on...The Cats are a bunch of sore losers & psychological piss-ants, without a modicum of grace nor class....Pathetic!
Crowley would've had them on toast. Ballantyne will rise to the vocal occasion

Better than Cyril?
Motlop was seen drinking at a colac match on the weekend prior to the hawks match. Some of the hawks players saw him there and mentioned it to him on the field. The geelong players overheard this and dobbed him in to the coach now he spending a week on the sidelines.

Are we that precious of a society. s**t, Clark is the biggest joke in the game. He took Bris and Melb for a ride. The whole "I cant handle the vigor's of AFL football" s**t, is exactly that....s**t! It was his bullshit excuse to get out of Melb and get to Geel. And I'd hope the sledging continues this weekend, because if anyone deserves it, the scum do.

Get over yourself Mitch, your already a clown, don't make it worse for yourself.

Last edited:
Are we that precious of a society. s**t, Clark is the biggest joke in the game. He took Bris and Melb for a ride. The whole "I cant handle the vigor's of AFL football" s**t, is exactly that....s**t! It was his bullshit excuse to get out of Melb and get to Geel.

Get over yourself Mitch, your already a clown, don't make it worse for yourself.

Yeah I'm on this line of thinking also TBH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be disappointed if any of our players sledged Clark about depression, but this just reeks of sour grapes from the "bash big, bad Hawthorn at every opportunity" footy media, and their darlings from Corio.

Pack of campaigners the lot of 'em.

Genuinely find this article disappointing. I think this is sour effing grapes from Geelong. If a player did do this- name them. There is no player code in vilification of any sort. Name the player so they can learn from their mistake. Particularly as they play for a club that is associated with beyond blue.

But no- Selwood is quite content with painting the whole club with the same brush. Which i suspect is the aim of what he has said. It is pseudo motivation Joel. It isn't real.

Furthermore - how many Geelong players heard sledging towards motlop? Yet no one heard sledging to clark? He approached you after the game did he?

I find it far fetched under the circumstances - but more importantly- mental health is not an issue to messed around with. If someone DID do something- name them and let us address this problem. Because it would be a problem

OR ADD context to what you have said Joel. If it wasn't really an issue or a direct comment to mitch specifically related to what you say was an illness jibe- then clarify that. Because at the moment- you are treating the illness with absolute disdain in only using it for your personal PR campaign. that is disgusting. Have the courage to name the player so something effective can be done regarding education or STFU son.

I am beyond angry. The article is just absolutely stupid and careless on so many levels. This ISNT the school yard.

There was a big off the ball tussle in the goal square with Lake and Clark during the game, which Gibbo (from memory) had to run over to break up. Happened right in front of me. It did look as if something had been said to spark it. s**t act.

Our guys are known for being big sledgers out on the field.

As for why wasn't a formal complaint made, would you want to be the guy "making a fuss" if it was you? Put the shoe on the other foot for a second.

Genuinely find this article disappointing. I think this is sour effing grapes from Geelong. If a player did do this- name them. There is no player code in vilification of any sort. Name the player so they can learn from their mistake. Particularly as they play for a club that is associated with beyond blue.

But no- Selwood is quite content with painting the whole club with the same brush. Which i suspect is the aim of what he has said. It is pseudo motivation Joel. It isn't real.

Furthermore - how many Geelong players heard sledging towards motlop? Yet no one heard sledging to clark? He approached you after the game did he?

I find it far fetched under the circumstances - but more importantly- mental health is not an issue to messed around with. If someone DID do something- name them and let us address this problem. Because it would be a problem

OR ADD context to what you have said Joel. If it wasn't really an issue or a direct comment to mitch specifically related to what you say was an illness jibe- then clarify that. Because at the moment- you are treating the illness with absolute disdain in only using it for your personal PR campaign. that is disgusting. Have the courage to name the player so something effective can be done regarding education or STFU son.

I am beyond angry. The article is just absolutely stupid and careless on so many levels. This ISNT the school yard.
That was going to be my thing too.

I doubt any line was crossed. From that a media leak would have occured and it would be known what was said. None of this has happened.

If a line was crossed, a complaint would have been made privately to the AFL by Geelong. However, the only player 'omitted' from this week thus far is Shiels, who is injured.

Mountain out of a molehill. All it's done is let Freo know they're vulnerable to a few words.

Clark for all we know could be one of the greatest actors of our game, no one really knows why he left the game, there has been and rightfully so people question his motives. The guy left Brisbane as he stated he wanted to play back home in Freo to be closer to his family, next he signs a multi million dollar deal at the Dees.

I have lost a mate to clinical depression, it's not something that can be fixed in 12 months. His whole situation seems sketchy and inconsistent, and whilst I wouldn't be sledging him about depression I wouldn't shy away from baking him about other things.
From people who know him I can tell you he was in a bad way. He is still on meds and seeking treatment now. That doesn't prohibit him from working. Melbourne wasn't the right place for him and they know it.

The only thing worse than the way Depression ruins peoples' lives are those who fake it for personal gain.

The way Clark complained of homesickness for WA at Brisbane only to defect to Melbourne for more money, then leave the Dees in the lurch after they nursed him through.. whatever he went through suggests there is a healthy chance he is the kind of person who enjoys making up stories to get what he wants.

I loathe the idea that Hawthorn players would sledge someone they knew to be a genuine Depression sufferer, but it is also possible that news of Clark faking it has spread throughout the league and he is now being ridiculed for it.

Last edited:
Would not surprise me if Selwood concocted this, and took the Motlop sledging and directed it at Clark. That's the kind of thing Duckwoo is capable of.
Apparently Clark told Selwood, who then told Barrett, who revealed it on The Footy Show.
It seems head-ducking and constant whinging to the umpires is not enough for Joel, he's seen fit to become a dobber as well.

Wow the majority of responses on here are suprising.

If indeed he was sledged due to a mental illness, thats not on. You can't do it in any workplace.

Just because it involves your footy club, don't act like it does not matter.

If it was a Geelong player who sledged someone for it, I would be mortified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back