Autopsy I don't melt anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Over 35 years of support, and this is where I am. I'm not angry, I'm just curious to see if there are any other older tigers (Gen X's) starting to feel this way or are already there.

I understand where you're coming from with that sort of feeling, with a club that's had high expectations from its supporters for a long time (as Richmond have) you get frustrated with the lack of progression. At least at your age you've seen your club win a premiership, let alone play in one. The Dogs last appearance was in 61, 10 years before my time and like other supporters in my age group have had to endure 40+ years of failure/shitness.

You get fed up a lot of the times, switch off.. Been there many a times, but you still cant rid yourself of having that feeling of loyalty that no matter the situation with your club, you'll always be loyal.

That's what its about, isn't it? With a small club like the dogs most of my fellow supporters can only hope to see us play in a premiership and win one. I don't believe its all doom and gloom for Richmond, the list is more than capable & has the right amount of experience/mix.. Most of the successful clubs over the last 20-30 years have had many things fall their way when it matters.. Injuries (lack of), peaking at the right time and a bit of luck.

Would the Tigers do better without Dimma? Possibly.. A change is always as good as a holiday, especially after things get stale.

I understand where you're coming from with that sort of feeling, with a club that's had high expectations from its supporters for a long time (as Richmond have) you get frustrated with the lack of progression. At least at your age you've seen your club win a premiership, let alone play in one. The Dogs last appearance was in 61, 10 years before my time and like other supporters in my age group have had to endure 40+ years of failure/shitness.

You get fed up a lot of the times, switch off.. Been there many a times, but you still cant rid yourself of having that feeling of loyalty that no matter the situation with your club, you'll always be loyal.

That's what its about, isn't it? With a small club like the dogs most of my fellow supporters can only hope to see us play in a premiership and win one. I don't believe its all doom and gloom for Richmond, the list is more than capable & has the right amount of experience/mix.. Most of the successful clubs over the last 20-30 years have had many things fall their way when it matters.. Injuries (lack of), peaking at the right time and a bit of luck.

Would the Tigers do better without Dimma? Possibly.. A change is always as good as a holiday, especially after things get stale.

Yeah, i absolutely see your point of view. I don't know if i'm jaded by us, or jaded by the last 5 years of s**t being fed to us by the AFL re: tanking, asada etc, maybe both.
The dogs have some awesome kids coming through, but, our list is stronger. So it begs the question, how did we get beaten? The issue for Hardwick is while he has fixed a lot of issues up, we are still seeing no improvement game day. And this has been going on for 3 years now. All people have certain levels they can perform to. Maybe this is where Dimma sits as a coach? I dunno. We will know by years end.
I guess i've seen enough false dawns at Richmond now. All the hype, all the spin, really means nothing to me. Think of your favourite dinner. It tastes alright the first couple of times. If i keep serving it up to you, it will eventually just be a take it or leave it dish. 32 years later, maybe the dish just don't taste like it used to.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

I'm the same age profile as you. I still blow the odd gasket at a game but I'm sensing a growing disconnect from myself to the club. I come from a Hawthorn family but jumped in the early 80s as a youngster thinking this is the club to support. I'm probably more emotionally invested in my son's footy team now as their coach / also more heavily involved in this club's administration, there is something more pure about local footy and helping young boys develop into solid citizens.

On Hardwick, think he is a great bloke but if we don't make finals this year, need to get a new coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Righto, been an interesting 24 hours on the board. I thought I'd share perspective from a 41 y.o pov. I've been supporting the club since 1978. Was raised in a Richmond family. To say Richmond is in my dna is a fair understatement (much like a lot of posters here). Been a member for over 10 years and now my whole family are members. I coach junior sport (footy and cricket, and used to help my brother in tennis back in the 90's), and love it.
Here's the thing, over the last few years (and last year in particular), I find i am becoming emotionally detached a bit. Now, I don't know if the ASADA thing began to wear me down a bit, dunno. But, it was a strange thing yesterday. I watched the warm up, and I could see we didn't look "on". Missing passes, goal kicking looked s**t etc ,etc. I thought ok, seen this before, let's see where it goes. By 3/4 time, I wasn't anything. I wasn't upset, I honestly started thinking about my next possible investment and decided to have a laugh with a couple of mates. The result, I just found I didn't care enough about it.
Now, I don't know if I am getting older and are getting more perspective on life, and am looking at bigger picture stuff, but, I looked at my boy as we were heading out and said "don't worry about it mate, it's only footy. Let's see how we go next week." He agreed.
"It's only footy". A few years ago, those words would of never left my mouth. Now, they roll off the tongue pretty easy. The Tigers are lucky, I love this club like my body loves air. But, I now feel a detachment occurring. The wins are great, don't get me wrong, but, the losses don't hurt like they used to.
I read the passion here, and I laugh about some of it. I wish I could still feel the urge to go coco bananas like a few of you, but, really, the AFL treat us like chumps and lie to us, and our club treads water. Over 35 years of support, and this is where I am. I'm not angry, I'm just curious to see if there are any other older tigers (Gen X's) starting to feel this way or are already there.
On Dimma, I feel he and the club have done a great job to get the list and club into a really solid position. I reckon Dimma knows a lot about footy, and how things ought to go, but, he isn't the man to take us to the next level. He is a poor match day coach. And I do like him.

Wow what a great post. Actually your story is pretty much the mirror image to mine... 41yo, long time supporter, my mum's side bleeds yellow & black, we even had a board member somewhere along the line but I just don't care as much when we lose any more. I think that when you've seen the worst of it time and time again you know better than to get the hopes up. It's just not worth it and reading the strong feelings around here is understandable but often lolworthy. The informed and balanced posts are the best.

I look forward to watching my 8yo son play more than anything else. He also plays for the Tigers, the Mitcham Tigers and they had their first game today and played well. It's great seeing kids who barrack for all different teams sing the Tigers song at the end of the game. It gives me a good perspective of what actually matters. My little fella also also plays rugby on Saturdays and cricket in summer and seeing the comraderie between the players and families in all the codes is fantastic. Cooking the bbq's and high fiving the boys after games and at training is awesome fun... It's the game that we love and what it represents to the people involved.

Really connected with your post CB17. Thank you :)

Now i'm gonna read what others have had to say

Righto, been an interesting 24 hours on the board. I thought I'd share perspective from a 41 y.o pov. I've been supporting the club since 1978. Was raised in a Richmond family. To say Richmond is in my dna is a fair understatement (much like a lot of posters here). Been a member for over 10 years and now my whole family are members. I coach junior sport (footy and cricket, and used to help my brother in tennis back in the 90's), and love it.
Here's the thing, over the last few years (and last year in particular), I find i am becoming emotionally detached a bit. Now, I don't know if the ASADA thing began to wear me down a bit, dunno. But, it was a strange thing yesterday. I watched the warm up, and I could see we didn't look "on". Missing passes, goal kicking looked s**t etc ,etc. I thought ok, seen this before, let's see where it goes. By 3/4 time, I wasn't anything. I wasn't upset, I honestly started thinking about my next possible investment and decided to have a laugh with a couple of mates. The result, I just found I didn't care enough about it.
Now, I don't know if I am getting older and are getting more perspective on life, and am looking at bigger picture stuff, but, I looked at my boy as we were heading out and said "don't worry about it mate, it's only footy. Let's see how we go next week." He agreed.
"It's only footy". A few years ago, those words would of never left my mouth. Now, they roll off the tongue pretty easy. The Tigers are lucky, I love this club like my body loves air. But, I now feel a detachment occurring. The wins are great, don't get me wrong, but, the losses don't hurt like they used to.
I read the passion here, and I laugh about some of it. I wish I could still feel the urge to go coco bananas like a few of you, but, really, the AFL treat us like chumps and lie to us, and our club treads water. Over 35 years of support, and this is where I am. I'm not angry, I'm just curious to see if there are any other older tigers (Gen X's) starting to feel this way or are already there.
On Dimma, I feel he and the club have done a great job to get the list and club into a really solid position. I reckon Dimma knows a lot about footy, and how things ought to go, but, he isn't the man to take us to the next level. He is a poor match day coach. And I do like him.

Tl;dr

I'm 76 and I will die before I see a Tiger flag. :(

Mate, you don't look a day over 73. Must have good genes.

Wow what a great post. Actually your story is pretty much the mirror image to mine... 41yo, long time supporter, my mum's side bleeds yellow & black, we even had a board member somewhere along the line but I just don't care as much when we lose any more. I think that when you've seen the worst of it time and time again you know better than to get the hopes up. It's just not worth it and reading the strong feelings around here is understandable but often lolworthy. The informed and balanced posts are the best.

I look forward to watching my 8yo son play more than anything else. He also plays for the Tigers, the Mitcham Tigers and they had their first game today and played well. It's great seeing kids who barrack for all different teams sing the Tigers song at the end of the game. It gives me a good perspective of what actually matters. My little fella also also plays rugby on Saturdays and cricket in summer and seeing the comraderie between the players and families in all the codes is fantastic. Cooking the bbq's and high fiving the boys after games and at training is awesome fun... It's the game that we love and what it represents to the people involved.

Really connected with your post CB17. Thank you :)

Now i'm gonna read what others have had to say

Thanks mate.

Yeah Cap, been gradually sinking into that place since Hardwick arrived (and that's by no means entirely due to him). For a while it was numbness after the anger era passed, now, I just don't really care enough to get numb after a bad performance.

I think it's partly all the things you mention (I'm similar age, era etc.), but it would be wrong to not mention how massively I miss watching certain players go about it. Richo most of all, but there's a long list of others, many of them hackers and battlers with massive hearts that I admired the hell out of.

That was our club for a long time and I could throw 100% passion and support behind that because so many of the players did. Hardwick aside, I just don't see that same desire from the players anymore - so many of them haven't fully got their hearts in it anymore, why should we? They don't REALLY hurt after a loss, you can tell by their 'efforts' at redemption.

I've always had a lot of interests outside football, they are all far more rewarding in terms of time being well spent and happiness returned.

Honestly the killer moment for me was the GC loss which I was there for live. I told the woman I took to the game (who'd never seen football before) of our massive legacy of choking, laughed as that sealing goal went through, went and had a great evening and scarcely thought about it again.

Life's too short to invest too much emotion in what amounts to guaranteed failure with not enough signs of it ever changing.

Are we sad and old and bitter and beaten men, or just wising up? ;-)

Yeah Cap, been gradually sinking into that place since Hardwick arrived (and that's by no means entirely due to him). For a while it was numbness after the anger era passed, now, I just don't really care enough to get numb after a bad performance.

I think it's partly all the things you mention (I'm similar age, era etc.), but it would be wrong to not mention how massively I miss watching certain players go about it. Richo most of all, but there's a long list of others, many of them hackers and battlers with massive hearts that I admired the hell out of.

That was our club for a long time and I could throw 100% passion and support behind that because so many of the players did. Hardwick aside, I just don't see that same desire from the players anymore - so many of them haven't fully got their hearts in it anymore, why should we? They don't REALLY hurt after a loss, you can tell by their 'efforts' at redemption.

I've always had a lot of interests outside football, they are all far more rewarding in terms of time being well spent and happiness returned.

Honestly the killer moment for me was the GC loss which I was there for live. I told the woman I took to the game (who'd never seen football before) of our massive legacy of choking, laughed as that sealing goal went through, went and had a great evening and scarcely thought about it again.

Life's too short to invest too much emotion in what amounts to guaranteed failure with not enough signs of it ever changing.

Are we sad and old and bitter and beaten men, or just wising up? ;-)

The last line Razor, that's the kicker. Which is it?

You pretty much nailed how if feel (funnily enough I'm the same age). It's round 2. The competition is extremely even now. We were off and you could see it just wasn't our day. The dogs wanted it more and hunted us. Full credit to them we weren't good enough on the day. See what happens next week.

Sent from my brain using ESP.
You 2 should hook up :hearts::hearts::rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, like the sucker i am, i'll be there for the cats double header. We gotta get them at some stage

FATHER captain Blood 17 is now taking confessionals... image.jpg

29 here. Recently I've found that i only melt when we lose 'the games we should have won'.

Also think my reason for melting at all is because majority of my mates barrack for more recently successful clubs (west coast, freo, hawks etc) and love to dish out some verbal abuse when the Tigers lose. I just for once would like to give it back on a consistent basis...

The thing is...I'm happy to get better...I can wait...have waited 35 years now...makes me a little different from those born post 80.

But I am soul searching a little because I actually feel this is the best place the club has been off field in the past 50 years...
Just have to stop you there.
You realise 50 yrs ago was pre the drought breaking 67 cup and ensuing glory years until 1980? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back