Autopsy I don't melt anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Cap, been gradually sinking into that place since Hardwick arrived (and that's by no means entirely due to him). For a while it was numbness after the anger era passed, now, I just don't really care enough to get numb after a bad performance.

I think it's partly all the things you mention (I'm similar age, era etc.), but it would be wrong to not mention how massively I miss watching certain players go about it. Richo most of all, but there's a long list of others, many of them hackers and battlers with massive hearts that I admired the hell out of.

That was our club for a long time and I could throw 100% passion and support behind that because so many of the players did. Hardwick aside, I just don't see that same desire from the players anymore - so many of them haven't fully got their hearts in it anymore, why should we? They don't REALLY hurt after a loss, you can tell by their 'efforts' at redemption.

I've always had a lot of interests outside football, they are all far more rewarding in terms of time being well spent and happiness returned.

Honestly the killer moment for me was the GC loss which I was there for live. I told the woman I took to the game (who'd never seen football before) of our massive legacy of choking, laughed as that sealing goal went through, went and had a great evening and scarcely thought about it again.

Life's too short to invest too much emotion in what amounts to guaranteed failure with not enough signs of it ever changing.

Are we sad and old and bitter and beaten men, or just wising up? ;-)

Nice post... It is ridiculous to put too much energy into a melting pot.

I agree about the players seeming not all that interested. I would only say that Jack is different as I have spoken with him before and he wears his heart on his sleeve.

Just have to stop you there.
You realise 50 yrs ago was pre the drought breaking 67 cup and ensuing glory years until 1980? ;)

lol mate seen the second 5...well can't really count 67 & 69...being born in 64 means I was 3 & 5 respectively. To be fair, 1980 was the greatest day of my life (in a "didn't have a female with me" sense)

lol mate seen the second 5...well can't really count 67 & 69...being born in 64 means I was 3 & 5 respectively. To be fair, 1980 was the greatest day of my life (in a "didn't have a female with me" sense)

PMSL - love that line "in a didn't have a female with me sense".

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Lol cap, females are kinda important I've learnt...

If it has tit's or tyres, it will cost you money. That's all i know.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Yeah, i absolutely see your point of view. I don't know if i'm jaded by us, or jaded by the last 5 years of s**t being fed to us by the AFL re: tanking, asada etc, maybe both.

Yep, the AFL has been protecting the likes of Melbourne and their 10 years of tanking gifting them priority pick after pick.. High compensation for Frawley yet look at what Hawthorn got for Franklin, look at what they got for Scully vs what we got for Ward.. The list goes on.

Richmond have a huge & loyal membership base which you have to admire for that fact alone.. Even during the dark years the majority stuck with it, Richmond will never die as a club because of a lack of supporter numbers/memberships. Historically you look back at clubs such as Hawthorn and Geelong who have recently skyrocketed over the last 5-8 years because of the premierships, but you would expect that.

So it begs the question, how did we get beaten? The issue for Hardwick is while he has fixed a lot of issues up, we are still seeing no improvement game day.

IMO its clear that it was that we made the most of the opportunities that presented whilst your mob had an off day. On paper most of us had Richmond down for the win given experience and expecting your midfield to tear us apart. Vlaustin was IMO a big loss for your defensive unit leaving Rance to carry the load who pretty much gave TBoyd a lesson in footy. even though Vlaustin played out the game you could tell his ankle was causing a lot or issues. As for our "skills", our kicking efficiency at one point was 51%, which is garbage by standards (68% measured according to the league stats)

Historically we seem to match up well against Richmond even when the sides on paper are lopsided, but I could say a change of coaching on our part has improved our game plan 10 fold.. Had we have had McCartney coaching I cant say with any confidence that we still would have won yesterday with the previous tactics.. Maybe our boys are just playing above themselves at the moment with a fresh coach and new outlook.. Im expecting a reality check against Hawthorn next week to bring some surety to our kids that they still have a long way to go.

Think of your favourite dinner. It tastes alright the first couple of times. If i keep serving it up to you, it will eventually just be a take it or leave it dish. 32 years later, maybe the dish just don't taste like it used to.

That dinner for Melbourne and Carlton must taste like s**t.. Whilst its no consolation for Richmond supporters, I think Hardwick has run out of ideas and often struggles to adapt to the changes in the flow of the game. Yet if you look at the performance against Carlton, most things went alright

TL;DR..

chalk it down as an off day... Forget it and move on to next week, because by that stage no one will give a s**t about this weekend's result.

Good luck for the rest of the season

Great OP. I'm 38 and have suffered like the rest of you. Thought I'd contained my Richmond-induced rage these past few years as I don't like myself when I'm like that and hate seeing people at the footy in similar states with kids around. But I was so pent up and frustrated yesterday. It wasn't because we lost, but because it was the same old tripe dished up for so long. Teams like the Dogs have thrashed us for years and after a few lean years, are now cruising past us up the ladder while we tread water. We never even had our time in the sun, ffs.

Great OP. I'm 38 and have suffered like the rest of you. Thought I'd contained my Richmond-induced rage these past few years as I don't like myself when I'm like that and hate seeing people at the footy in similar states with kids around. But I was so pent up and frustrated yesterday. It wasn't because we lost, but because it was the same old tripe dished up for so long. Teams like the Dogs have thrashed us for years and after a few lean years, are now cruising past us up the ladder while we tread water. We never even had our time in the sun, ffs.

And there in lies part of the meh I feel. It feels like the same issues that should of been resolved years ago. How did we lose to Melbourne last year? How do we lose to the Dogs this year? The losses look the same and feel the same. In Hindsight, I reckon the Hafey one was the one that really rocked me.

And there in lies part of the meh I feel. It feels like the same issues that should of been resolved years ago. How did we lose to Melbourne last year? How do we lose to the Dogs this year? The losses look the same and feel the same. In Hindsight, I reckon the Hafey one was the one that really rocked me.

Yep, that game hit me hard also. The Dreamtime game confirmed for me that we are not a good team. Great turnaround to make the finals last year, but I held concerns for our chances this year. Hope we get on a run and give the finals a shake, but I'm concerned we are not going anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto, been an interesting 24 hours on the board. I thought I'd share perspective from a 41 y.o pov. I've been supporting the club since 1978. Was raised in a Richmond family. To say Richmond is in my dna is a fair understatement (much like a lot of posters here). Been a member for over 10 years and now my whole family are members. I coach junior sport (footy and cricket, and used to help my brother in tennis back in the 90's), and love it.
Here's the thing, over the last few years (and last year in particular), I find i am becoming emotionally detached a bit. Now, I don't know if the ASADA thing began to wear me down a bit, dunno. But, it was a strange thing yesterday. I watched the warm up, and I could see we didn't look "on". Missing passes, goal kicking looked s**t etc ,etc. I thought ok, seen this before, let's see where it goes. By 3/4 time, I wasn't anything. I wasn't upset, I honestly started thinking about my next possible investment and decided to have a laugh with a couple of mates. The result, I just found I didn't care enough about it.
Now, I don't know if I am getting older and are getting more perspective on life, and am looking at bigger picture stuff, but, I looked at my boy as we were heading out and said "don't worry about it mate, it's only footy. Let's see how we go next week." He agreed.
"It's only footy". A few years ago, those words would of never left my mouth. Now, they roll off the tongue pretty easy. The Tigers are lucky, I love this club like my body loves air. But, I now feel a detachment occurring. The wins are great, don't get me wrong, but, the losses don't hurt like they used to.
I read the passion here, and I laugh about some of it. I wish I could still feel the urge to go coco bananas like a few of you, but, really, the AFL treat us like chumps and lie to us, and our club treads water. Over 35 years of support, and this is where I am. I'm not angry, I'm just curious to see if there are any other older tigers (Gen X's) starting to feel this way or are already there.
On Dimma, I feel he and the club have done a great job to get the list and club into a really solid position. I reckon Dimma knows a lot about footy, and how things ought to go, but, he isn't the man to take us to the next level. He is a poor match day coach. And I do like him.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm nearly 40 so we grew up at the same time. I left at 3/4 time yesterday, couldn't care less. I knew we wouldn't come back and win. I wasn't upset but more disappointed that the same old crap was there. When I was younger I'd absolutely lose it at times.

I post some s**t here, mostly for a laugh. I do love the club but I see us going nowhere as long as Hardwick is coach. I remember us winning it in 80, I hope that won't be my only one.

I made the solemn, frustrating walk through the MCG carpark to Jolimont on Friday night after Victory lost to the bottom side with one hand on the Premiers plate. Was utterly deflating doing the same thing less than 24 hours later. Supporting Victory has helped ease the pain over the past decade so this weekend has been tough.

17 here. Started really watching football at around 10 so I, grown up with a sense of disappointment and failure in regards to football which honestly has probably been a good thing. I don't get mad at games, I'm always looking for the positives because to grow up with Richmond you kinda have too.

Reading this board is hard at times because a lot of people overreact or seem to throw pure venom at the club, it's a game, you can't do anything to change outcome of the results on your computers, so there's no use getting overly mad over it.

Last edited:
Yeah.
I'm a Ditto for most of this thread.
The Melbourne loss last year was a killer for me. Just sat in my seat as everyone left after the game
Can only go back to the well so many times I think. The only thing that fills the well is some success. Doesn't need to be a premiership for me. I just need to be proud of the club on field. I'm not meaning one off games. The last time I was proud of the club was '95.

Pleasing that I am not the only old prick on here . Melbourne game last year really pissed me also , don't think I will ever forget the piss poor effort of Chaplin that day .

His dropped mark that spilled out the back for a goal on Saturday was appalling. He is so overrated.

Yep, the AFL has been protecting the likes of Melbourne and their 10 years of tanking gifting them priority pick after pick.. High compensation for Frawley yet look at what Hawthorn got for Franklin, look at what they got for Scully vs what we got for Ward.. The list goes on.

Richmond have a huge & loyal membership base which you have to admire for that fact alone.. Even during the dark years the majority stuck with it, Richmond will never die as a club because of a lack of supporter numbers/memberships. Historically you look back at clubs such as Hawthorn and Geelong who have recently skyrocketed over the last 5-8 years because of the premierships, but you would expect that.

IMO its clear that it was that we made the most of the opportunities that presented whilst your mob had an off day. On paper most of us had Richmond down for the win given experience and expecting your midfield to tear us apart. Vlaustin was IMO a big loss for your defensive unit leaving Rance to carry the load who pretty much gave TBoyd a lesson in footy. even though Vlaustin played out the game you could tell his ankle was causing a lot or issues. As for our "skills", our kicking efficiency at one point was 51%, which is garbage by standards (68% measured according to the league stats)

Historically we seem to match up well against Richmond even when the sides on paper are lopsided, but I could say a change of coaching on our part has improved our game plan 10 fold.. Had we have had McCartney coaching I cant say with any confidence that we still would have won yesterday with the previous tactics.. Maybe our boys are just playing above themselves at the moment with a fresh coach and new outlook.. Im expecting a reality check against Hawthorn next week to bring some surety to our kids that they still have a long way to go.

That dinner for Melbourne and Carlton must taste like s**t.. Whilst its no consolation for Richmond supporters, I think Hardwick has run out of ideas and often struggles to adapt to the changes in the flow of the game. Yet if you look at the performance against Carlton, most things went alright

TL;DR..

chalk it down as an off day... Forget it and move on to next week, because by that stage no one will give a s**t about this weekend's result.

Good luck for the rest of the season
Good wrap up, I expected a tough encounter , thought that the expanses of the G would flavour us and our back line would be supreme over what you guys could do. I under estimated your defense, and 4q pressure never allowed us to get going apart from a few spurts. You re going to win your share of games , no doubt

What frustrates me is that you can see that the majority of the players don't have the same emotional investment as us fans. That's what really makes me blow up.

They've been drafted onto an AFL list and getting a regular game, from their perspective they've climbed the mountain. It struck me when I was listening to Sam Mitchell on Footy Classified talking about recruiting Patrick Dangerfield, he pretty much said all of the playing group would be willing to take a pay cut to fit a player like him into the salary cap. I honestly don't think it would happen at Richmond, too much of our list is just happy to be playing AFL football and making great coin, they just don't have the emotional investment in the club to want to push for a flag.

I sure as hell know I'd take a 10% pay cut to get Dangerfield onto our list, and when I'm certain that players on our list don't think the same way about the club it's really deflating.

I reckon it's bs that any players would take a pay cut to bring someone in. What would you say If the boss asked you to take a clip to bring in some new talent ,,,,,exactly
If that pay cut resulted in a Richmond premiership, absolutely.

Mitchell more or less said the playing group has sat down previously and discussed what they'd have to do to be able to bring more talent in to help them get another flag, and they all got right behind it. Wasn't the bosses asking them, it was a decision from the playing group. Could you see that happening with our playing group right now? I couldn't.

Great thread. About the only thing in AFL that makes me steam is the Umpiring and piss ants that pull on the fluro shirts.

I don't get upset when we lose, it's not worth it. It is sad being starved of success for so long though (45 year old supporter here). I love the Tigers, but also think the level that some people raise sports people up to is pretty ludicrous.

It really doesn't surprise me when we blow games like this. Some teams just find a way to win against us and we won't go anywhere until we're consistently better than North Melbourne, Collingwood, Bulldogs etc. Forget the interstate clubs, we keep letting local clubs that we should be more developed than, beating us on match day.

Come on Tigers, just let me see you win 1 single Grand Final before I get old and senile. LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back