Australia's 'lack of good manners'?

Remove this Banner Ad

So you should be willing to present a broad critique rather than singling out Australia simply 'because you live there'.

I single out Australia because they're my team and I have a higher degree of interest in how they play and act.

And yes re: AFL players.

I single out Australia because they're my team and I have a higher degree of interest in how they play and act.
That is not a logical reason to justify selective criticism.

And yes re: AFL players.
Please elaborate.

AFL players shouldn't be saying mean things to each other during a game?

It's a not a tea party, champ.

That is not a logical reason to justify selective criticism.
What rubbish. I said I disliked all sledging and now you're accusing me of selective criticism? Utter nonsense.

Please elaborate.

AFL players shouldn't be saying mean things to each other during a game?

It's a not a tea party, champ.

And it's not war either. It's a game. It's not real.

Well, you've done nothing to rebut them.

You've tried to justify your selective criticism of Australia on the grounds that you live there. How is that a sound argument?
Putting words in people's mouths is further proof you're incapable of intelligent discussion about issues such as this. Again, frightfully dull. I'll leave you to your day.

Gunnar's approach to discussion is the same as he would like his sports teams to play: it's all about winning.
"This is what I think"
"And this is why I disagree"
"But this is what I think"
"Yes and this is why I disagree as I explained"
"But this is what I think"

It's all a touch dull.

I don't mind people who have an issue with all sledging, i think they are wrong but at least they are consistent.

The people who bug me are the ones who praised ganguly kohli sharma dhawan harbi riaz and a host of others for "standing up to the aussies" while lambasting the aussies for every word that comes out of their mouth.

One thing anti sledging folks need to remember though is that many players and many fans like that part of the sport and that just because they don't like it doesn't mean they have proven it is some immoral behavior or needs to be stamped out, remember some other people think johnson bowling short is a form of physical assault and that the bouncer should be banned from cricket but does that mean they are right simply because they believe they are?

Sledging is a contentious issue because we will never have a clear answer on whether it's right or wrong, consistency on the subject is all we can ask for, i don't mind our blokes getting into the opposition and i don't whinge when the opposition give it back just as hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I think that if it wasn't for certain people in the media and their hand-wringing, people watching that game wouldn't even know that any "incidents" occurred.

Brad Haddin is always noticeable as a complete bellend. The Australian public doesn't need anyone to point that out!

Brad Haddin is always noticeable as a complete bellend. The Australian public doesn't need anyone to point that out!

Why because he clapped when a Kiwi batsman got out? Or because he had a word to Elliott when that arsey bastard finally got done?

Fair Dinkum some of you people stand on your high horses.

Riaz runs in right in Watson face and claps and blows kisses, when Watson is giving it back later in the innings Riaz runs to the umpires.

I have been watching cricket for more than 40 years and I have heard this criticism all my life. Ian Chappell wrote about it in a book published in 1976. Reckons the pommy's said they were all mighty good chaps when they were beating Australia, but suddenly in 1972 they became the "Ugly Australians" when they started to win.

Usually it is pommies who whinge about this, and I think it has to do with culture. The poms are from a losing cricket culture and try to bring the Australians down to their mediocre level, so we have the likes of Roebuck and the current pommy TMS commentator whose boring name escapes me at the moment.

Baum is trying for an angle and this is an easy and lazy one to take.

5 World Cups in 8 attempts since 1987 would suggest the Aussies are on the right track and whiney losers can please themselves.

Where did I say I wasn't aware? I said I'm more aware of incidents involving Australia; ie Warner's "speak English" comments or Clarke v Steyn.

And I think they should because, as I said, I view sledging as childish and unnecessary.
If you actually think Warner did anything remotely wrong in that situation, you buddy are what is wrong with this world.

Sharma was the one who should be taken apart for that but of course its all the big bad Aussies fault as usual.
Sharma was insulting Warner in Hindu, as he knew the umpires couldn't understand what he was saying, so he knew he could get away with anything.
Warner can speak Hindu so he knew what Sharma was doing, and demanded that he spoke English.

Research your arguments a little bit more next time mate.

Imagine if that happened in the streets to you and someone was threatening to kill your family in another language and the police were right there but couldn't speak the language, so nothing is done, would you be happy with that?

He was a florid and emotionally hysterical writer. Could never see why he as so highly praised.

He sold papers. Predominantly to those people who read him so they could complain about what he'd written, but media barons rarely differentiate dollars earned through outrage than those earned through great writing or journalism.

If you actually think Warner did anything remotely wrong in that situation, you buddy are what is wrong with this world.

Sharma was the one who should be taken apart for that but of course its all the big bad Aussies fault as usual.
Sharma was insulting Warner in Hindu, as he knew the umpires couldn't understand what he was saying, so he knew he could get away with anything.
Warner can speak Hindu so he knew what Sharma was doing, and demanded that he spoke English.

Imagine if that happened in the streets to you and someone was threatening to kill your family in another language and the police were right there but couldn't speak the language, so nothing is done, would you be happy with that?

how would the poster ManWithNoName know if he can't speak the language?

i havent heard your theory before of the incident until now, and i accept that it may have happened. but then i read this

“When I went over to say something to him, he sort of said something in their language and I said ‘speak English’ because, if you’re going to say something, understand that theoretically I cannot speak Hindi,” Warner said on Monday. “I did the polite thing and asked him to speak English, therefore he did and I can’t repeat what he said.”

look whatever happened happened. im neither here nor there on this incident.

the concept of everyone speaking english so that WE can understand interests me at the moment. we want everyone to speak english in australia. however, when we (generalising australians) go overseas to a non english speaking country, first thing asked is "do they speak english?". wherever we travel world wide, signs, help is available in english. yet there is an undercurrent of dislike for multitudes of signage in australia that is in languages other than english (aka LOTE).

Last edited:

Warner started it coming up to blame sharma for running on the overthrow, when he didnt do anything wrong

how would the poster ManWithNoName know if he can't speak the language?

i havent heard your theory before of the incident until now, and i accept that it may have happened. but then i read this

look whatever happened happened. im neither here nor there on this incident.

the concept of everyone speaking english so that WE can understand interests me at the moment. we want everyone to speak english in australia. however, when we (generalising australians) go overseas to a non english speaking country, first thing asked is "do they speak english?". wherever we travel world wide, signs, help is available in english. yet there is an undercurrent of dislike for multitudes of signage in australia that is in languages other than english (aka LOTE).
I meant that manwithnoname could understand the language as well so therefore could understand what he was saying but couldn't prove it to the police as they didn't understand it. So then it is just one persons word against another.

I watched the 60 minutes interview with Warner and he explained it slightly different to that quote, have a watch of it if you get a chance, its a pretty good interview on Warner.

But in regards to that, when Warner explained it on TV he said he can understand Hindi, and that if Sharma was saying what he said in English he would of gotten into a lot of trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back