Preview Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn - 7.10 Saturday 25th April @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Big game for out Club on a big day for us as a nation, I am sure the boys will give it their all. Please folks be respectful during the pre-match ceremony, be quiet and remove your hats.

I do like those guernseys, may have to head down there later today or tomorrow.

Why is it, and every club seems to do it when showing off a new guernsey, do the players ALWAYS have their arms folded so you can't actually see the guernsey?

I'm happy the RSL is getting money from it.

Now my personal opinion (I could be right or wrong) is that we are doing too many "special event" guernseys.

I understand the marketing department push of it however and I know it will never change.

That's professional sport.

3 or 4 preseason games
22 minor round games
1 to 4 finals

Spending 10-20% of the year in promotional/event guernseys is fair enough, especially when the bulk of them are ANZAC/Indigenous/Heritage.

Why is it, and every club seems to do it when showing off a new guernsey, do the players ALWAYS have their arms folded so you can't actually see the guernsey?

There is this great episode from 30rock where jack donaghy (Alec Baldwin) decides he will star in the nbc infomercial or whatever it was saying it's not a big deal. As soon as they point the cameras at him he forgets what to do with his hands and it doesn't feel natural. In the end they give him two coffee mugs to hold so he can concentrate on getting the line out.

I work with actors and the first thing you have to do after the first take is tell them to do it again , but this time without the pointing around at random things with their hands lol.

Sup.

This week we play Hawthorn at the Adelaide Oval, looking for redemption after the preliminary final loss last year. That aside, what a win last week! Our bogey side at our bogey ground, and despite North doing us some favours in terms of injuries (not that they were intentional), I felt we were the better side on the day and looked much more like we did last year. For the first time this year we managed to get our counter attacking slingshot working, and it looked great. Our biggest issue was that we let North hit us the same way, and gave them way too much space in the corridor. Boak and Gray went into boss mode in the last quarter, whilst Ryder, Broadbent and Pittard were the best players across 4 quarters, and Schulz chimed in with 4 goals and looked dangerous for the first time this season. Hawthorn did what they needed to do, and put on a bit of a clinic in Tasmania. Hodge was huge, and racked up an absolute cricket score, Smith and Lewis also saw plenty of it, Roughead was tough to handle, and Cyril was exciting. They were un-Hawthorn at times in regards to the fact that they butchered the ball, but conditions in Tasmania aren’t usually conducive to good footskills.

The Last Time We Met

Key words from Macca19 ‘s review: Proud, yet disappointed, annoyed, angered and frustrated. We went down by 3 points in the Preliminary Final, and many thought it was the one that got away, particularly after watching Hawthorn demolish Sydney in the Grand Final the next week. We were excellent early, and ambushed the Hawks, but kicked 3.9, which was an absolute killer. The Hawks killed us in the middle quarters, particularly at stoppages, our skills became sloppy, and we had no answer to Roughead. Once we were forced to throw everything at the game, we looked much better, were all over Hawthorn, and who knows what would have happened if we had just one more minute. Boak was a monster in close and found space down the wings, Broadbent hit the ball hard and used it well, and Gray and Monfries were also excellent (take note detractors of Monfries). For the Hawks, Roughead was huge, Hodge cut off numerous attacks with intercept marks, and Mitchell broke through the Cornes tag.

Battle of the Gameplans

Hawthorn are an outstandingly well drilled unit, and we will need to exhibit great patience without the ball, and great daring with the ball. They setup behind the play (usually with Hodge, Gibson or Lake), and once they pressure a side into a turnover, they chip kick their way with great accuracy up the ground with their fleet of left footers. And the really tough thing about it is that they are so predictable, but so unpredictable. You know they’re going to kick it short until they hit a lead inside the 50, but you don’t know where they are kicking it short, they create many options and kick it where you don’t expect them to. And then they aren’t playing that game, they have Smith, Hill, Rioli and co to run with the footy and move it quickly. We are going to have to be patient without the ball, we’ll play our +1 behind the ball, we’ll try and stifle the space long and let them hold possession. The first big key is our back 6 absorbing pressure, not letting Roughead monster us, or Gunston to slip under the radar. When we have the footy, we just have to be frenetic and back ourselves in. We looked our best against them in the PF when we just ran with abandon, and we can’t afford to wait until the game is almost gone again. The second big key is contested ball. We got smacked in this area against Fremantle, and Hawthorn have a very similar setup. We can’t afford to let Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis waltz the ball out of the middle, our midfield has to get first hands on the footy.

Key Match Ups

Hodge v Monfries

This one is entirely dependant on where Hodge plays. If it’s behind the ball, I reckon we play Monfries in a defensive forward role (which he has played excellently in the past). Hodge is the king of the quarterback role, he is so adept at reading the play, brave at putting his body and the line, makes good decisions and uses the ball well. We shut down Hodge (or Hawthorn’s other spare man), and we start going the right direction in terms of shutting down their keepy-off gameplan.

Lewis v Boak

Lewis is an underated midfielder (when people think Hawthorn midfielders, they think Hodge and Mitchell), he loves a contest, loves getting down and dirty, and has outstanding hands. Though Boak will likely be tagged, Lewis is Hawthorn’s Boak. Someone who works so hard all day, wins contested footy and spreads well, and can hit the scoreboard. This is your classic head to head contest in the midfield, first hands on the footy, damaging around the ground. Love it.

Roughead vs Carlile

Carlile was outstanding last weekend, and I think is the best match up for the gorilla that is Roughie. You could make a case for Hombsch getting the job as well, but I’d like to see him on Gunston. Roughead is versatile for a gorilla, he’s so strong in the contest and loves out bodying opponents, but he’s also excellent on the lead and below his knees. He’s a key to Hawthorn winning, their best avenue to goal (even if he isn’t kicking them himself, he brings other players into it), particularly if we slow down their F50 entries.

Prediction

Another nail biter. Port by 6. Redemption.

Great write up.

Reckon Hodge will be back at times but has generally been in the middle so far this season. Mitchell has been quiet by his own standards so far this year but it's only a matter of time before he puts in a really big one. Hopefully for us it will be this week.

I'd be staggered if Langford isn't following Boak around.

"So I say, for god's sake...why don't you stand up and fight this guy hard, like you done before?! That was beautiful! But don't lay down in front him like this! Like a...I don't know...like some kind of mongrel or something! Because he's gonna kick your face in pieces! That's right...this guy just don't wanna win, you know. He wants to bury ya, he wants to humiliate ya, he wants to prove to the whole world that it was nothing but some kind of FREAK the first time out! That he said you're a one time lucky bum! Well now, I don't wanna get mad in a biblical place like this. But I think you're a hell of a lot more than that kid...a hell of a lot!" - Rocky II

The story of Rocky Balboa is one of perseverance through adversity. About how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. "That's how winning is done!" An unknown boxer, working as an enforcer for a loan shark to make ends meet, has the opportunity for a shot at the title against the heavyweight champion of the world, Apollo Creed. In the first movie, he manages to last the distance and take the fight to a split decision, something no other boxer has done before. Aggrieved because he didn't take the fight seriously and wanted to prove that he was a much better fighter than Balboa, Creed offers a rematch, and this time, he will be at full capacity to show the world that it was just luck that Rocky did so well against him.

On Saturday night, Hawthorn will want to prove that it was indeed just luck that got us within a kick of an unlikely grand final berth. That they had it under control, and it was only because they couldn't wrestle back momentum after being up by more than 4 goals at the 15 minute mark of the last quarter. That it was only superior fitness, and not anything to do with skill or football talent that brought us so close.

We need to prove them wrong.

In terms of preparation, one of us has fought against three title challengers and the other has fought in two tune up fights and possible contender. You couldn't compare the games of Fremantle, Sydney and North Melbourne to the games of Geelong, Essendon and Western Bulldogs in terms of overall toughness and mental resilience required. The problem is, we are coming into this fight hurt. We don't have Wines and Lobbe still might not come up. But what we do have is 50,000 people who can scream at players to get up when they fall. Not just because we are Port Adelaide, but because we love Port Adelaide.

Last week we stopped bumming around and started playing the kind of football we are capable of playing. But it gets harder. It always gets harder. Against Sydney, the atmosphere was diluted somewhat. We need to get the ascendency and come out spitting nails. Because it's only then that the crowd will get behind the team. Hawthorn will want to mute the crowd exactly like Sydney by putting us under scoreboard pressure. This is where guys like Broadbent, Pittard and Krakouer will be instrumental - to generate that run out of defense and take the game on. To not be afraid of what might happen, but to be excited by what will happen.

Boak smashing in. Hartlett getting in Hawk faces and getting them upset before they can do it to us. Young showing the AFL world what he's capable of. Ryder dominating in the center square. Wingard. Gray. Polec. White. We have the talent. We're a hell of a lot more than just fitness and luck.

A hell of a lot.

If the Hawks are Apollo like you suggest, I hope the Hawks come out like this

Just hope the result is different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PB189481.jpg

IMG_0309anzac_620_620X370.jpg

started at the bottom.. now we here

308z0c7.jpg

"The SANFL and AFL guernseys we'll wear at Adelaide Oval on Friday and Saturday night respectively as we pay tribute our service men and women

The guernseys feature the names of more than 100 Port Adelaide players known to have served in conflict since 1915

A limited run of AFL ANZAC guernseys will be available at the Port Store with all proceeds going to the RSL's South Australia branch"
I just realised the Maggies bars are the thin ones

I've been looking forward to this game since the fixture was released last year. Two quality teams, a massive stage, and a lot for us to prove!

You can imagine my disappointment when one of my best mates tells me that he's having his engagement party the same night...

Looks like I'll be sitting with my eyes glued to my phone for a couple of hours at the party whilst my mum and dad enjoy the footy for me.

I've been looking forward to this game since the fixture was released last year. Two quality teams, a massive stage, and a lot for us to prove!

You can imagine my disappointment when one of my best mates tells me that he's having his engagement party the same night...

Looks like I'll be sitting with my eyes glued to my phone for a couple of hours at the party whilst my mum and dad enjoy the footy for me.
Nope, go to the game. As long as you're at his wedding, what's the problem?

If he were really a 'best mate' he'd have been more considerate! :p

I feel like we still haven't clicked this year yet, so i really cant see us winning this one. I think it will be a similar score to the Sydney game.

its time finish the hawks...destroy them on the field...end their run...smash their older players into retirement...put their club into a rebuilding phase..then i will be happy.

I feel like we still haven't clicked this year yet, so i really cant see us winning this one. I think it will be a similar score to the Sydney game.
disagree I think we match up well against the hawks, we need to match them at contested ball and smash them on the outside.

Lobster plays then our height should really stretch them.

the weather could be a worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back