Sylvia Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

A day of headlines on the AFL website

oO13uxG.jpg

quickly replaced with ....

gTdHoQZ.jpg

and now ...

PFlLEsX.jpg

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of malice toward Colin in this thread. I'm not sure why so many people seem to have had their feelings hurt.

The way I see it, we took a punt on a talented but flakey player and it turns out he wasn't willing to put in the effort required to play at the elite level. What's the big deal? All we missed out on was a live pick at #70 in the 2013 draft (only two live picks were used after pick 70 that year).

Spot on.
Good luck Col.

Have slightly mixed feelings on this one - I've had a go at Sylvia's effort in the past on what I maintain are perfectly justifiable grounds - the guy did not uphold his end of his contract and I personally regard that as pretty unethical behavior on the whole

That being said, I really didn't wish the guy any harm either - at his best he was a formidable player and if he had brought his best to Freo, the club would have been that much stronger for his presence. As it turns out, it was the club who got the Colinoscopy, not the opposing teams.

I had this unspoken hope in my mind, that if push came to shove (as it clearly did), Col might have been able to slink away quietly without any fuss and having to endure heaps of bad publicity in the process... on reflection, that was a pretty naive wish on my part - and now that it's happened, it seems clear that both rightly AND wrongly, Col is probably going to cop heaps over his non-performance for some time yet.

I'm not sorry that he's gone, and I won't miss him very much - but I do lament the fact that him leaving the club in this manner also means he's suffered an even greater loss of face in the process. I wouldn't wish that kind of public dressing-down on anyone, no matter how poorly they performed, or failed to achieve.

If he had been able to cut the mustard at WAFL level at least, he could have potentially left the club with some dignity intact, claiming that it was just father time catching up with him early, and despite his best efforts he just couldn't make the grade any more. As it stands right now, he can't even claim that - the club said it was a performance issue, but they didn't say there were issues with his physical or mental health that held him back. Without those statements, all we're left to run with is a lack of effort.

Last edited:
This bloke was Melb's best player when fit IMO. I thought all he needed was get into a good side, apply himself & make that side an extra 1-2 goal better, rotating through HF/Mids.

Don't know why I care, but this bloke is near on the biggest disappointed I've seen in football, given his naturalability.

Kudo's to Freo though for not allowing a bloke who knew little work ethic to infiltrate it's team culture.

Lazy prick.

Last edited:
Any idea on the pay out?

Has it been confirmed that he agreed to forgoe his 2016 salary as part of the deal?

Kinda - see http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-28/colin-sylvia-to-retire

Sylvia had another year to run on a lucrative three-year deal. It is understood that the club has negotiated a partial payment to Sylvia in 2015 and no payments in 2016. It is understood, as per any other retirement, he will not be listed in 2016 and no payments will go towards the Dockers' salary cap.

"We've worked really closely with his management in being able to work through a settlement," Bond said.

"It's something that we have been able to do and it's something that has been really favourable to the club, and I think all parties have been really understanding of that and worked towards getting a really favourable outcome, which is good."

Bond said Sylvia had been "compliant" to the club's program when he was sent to Peel Thunder on February 5, but that the relationship between player and club simply did not work out.​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda - see http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-28/colin-sylvia-to-retire

Sylvia had another year to run on a lucrative three-year deal. It is understood that the club has negotiated a partial payment to Sylvia in 2015 and no payments in 2016. It is understood, as per any other retirement, he will not be listed in 2016 and no payments will go towards the Dockers' salary cap.

"We've worked really closely with his management in being able to work through a settlement," Bond said.

"It's something that we have been able to do and it's something that has been really favourable to the club, and I think all parties have been really understanding of that and worked towards getting a really favourable outcome, which is good."

Bond said Sylvia had been "compliant" to the club's program when he was sent to Peel Thunder on February 5, but that the relationship between player and club simply did not work out.​

Cheers. Sounds like a good deal for Freo.

Thought he might turn it around when the word was he'd hired a personal trainer and got to it over summer.

Clearly not, oh well who cares, didn't cost us anything, and gave us Seppo's Colinoscopy banner.

If we use that 300k next year to land a big FA I will kiss Col.

Well, Ok. Had so little impact at AFL level for Freo that is is somehow nearly irrelevant. But still I expected this to happen at season's end not earlier...

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of malice toward Colin in this thread. I'm not sure why so many people seem to have had their feelings hurt.

The way I see it, we took a punt on a talented but flakey player and it turns out he wasn't willing to put in the effort required to play at the elite level. What's the big deal? All we missed out on was a live pick at #70 in the 2013 draft (only two live picks were used after pick 70 that year).
No malice, no love either. Think the club took an punt on a roughy which didn't get up. We move on

http://www.sen.com.au/news/04-15/sheahan-recruiting-sylvia-has-embarrassed-the-dockers

Sheehan is an absolute flog.

The only people who should be embarrassed are Colin for not applying himself, and Sheehan for writing such a crappy article.

Luckily for you, Mike, Ross isn't your editor or you might find yourself writing a few articles for some local community rag until you articles are on par again.
I Don't mind Sheehan,he must be having a senior moment.

“Someone at Freo should get a clip over the ears for this,” Sheahan told SEN’s The Run Home.

Col's ears got clipped and his AFL career is over.

If he had been able to cut the mustard at WAFL level at least, he could have potentially left the club with some dignity intact, claiming that it was just father time catching up with him early, and despite his best efforts he just couldn't make the grade any more. As it stands right now, he can't even claim that - the club said it was a performance issue, but they didn't say there were issues with his physical or mental health that held him back. Without those statements, all we're left to run with is a lack of effort.

That's not entirely true. According to Chris Bond, he was banished to Peel because he didn't meet physical requirement of AFL, in other words, he was fat and unfit

I think the club does indeed need to take a look at it's recruiting failures, and I am very confident they will/have. Sure he was a risk, but it also seems like a failure to identify his lack of commitment, or to have the mechanism in place to turn that around. The money is a minor issue in the end, and the pick meaningless. But if he was toxic he should not have been allowed into the club. It also comes at the same time as the recruitment of Simpson. We need to do everything better and it starts with recruitment.

I'm mildly annoyed at this news. There's a lot of blokes would just about give up their left one to play AFL footy, let alone at a team in regular finals contention. Seems like a complete WOFTAM in the end.

I used to know a bloke who did give up his left one playing footy - true story. Medical advice was to stop playing in case he injured the one that was left and was made infertile.

But yes annoying as hell for most of us who try hard but never had the talent.

I was suspicious in the game against East Perth when he came off at half time no injury noted, nothing stated about why but he never came out of the rooms for the rest of the game. Reckon a decision was made then and has been given as 'concussion' until this announcement now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back