Sylvia Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

I was suspicious in the game against East Perth when he came off at half time no injury noted, nothing stated about why but he never came out of the rooms for the rest of the game. Reckon a decision was made then and has been given as 'concussion' until this announcement now.
Assuming there was no concussion, which seems possible/likely to be the case, I wonder if the club had a discussion with him and his manager along the lines of the following;

By failing to meet the clubs fitness and training standards, and by leaving a game in progress, you are in breach of your contract which requires you to meet the standards of a professional AFL player. This can end in court, or this can end now.

Assuming there was no concussion, which seems possible/likely to be the case, I wonder if the club had a discussion with him and his manager along the lines of the following;

By failing to meet the clubs fitness and training standards, and by leaving a game in progress, you are in breach of your contract which requires you to meet the standards of a professional AFL player. This can end in court, or this can end now.

My assumption is, he was getting mobbed 3-1 every time he got near the ball.
He probably went down in the rooms at halftime throbbing with pain and just thought Fukitt.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of malice toward Colin in this thread. I'm not sure why so many people seem to have had their feelings hurt.

The way I see it, we took a punt on a talented but flakey player and it turns out he wasn't willing to put in the effort required to play at the elite level. What's the big deal? All we missed out on was a live pick at #70 in the 2013 draft (only two live picks were used after pick 70 that year).

Here's the reason for the "malice" and "hurt feelings":

Because Colin Sylvia treated the club and his contractual responsibilities with malice and surely hurt the feelings of his teammates by not being committed to them.

Let's compare Colin Sylvia's "effort" with another recent, big money Fremantle free agent signing, Danyle Pearce.

Pearce has worked his tail off, not missed a single match, embraced the club culture, has been a strong asset and in the times he wasn't doing what the senior coach wanted, he listened to his feedback and has improved his play from year to year.

Sylvia reported to the club out of shape, foolishly got suspended while playing in the reserves, then when he did get his senior club opportunity, he played the opposite of how the senior coach wanted him to, leading him to publicly say he had to play the team's style, not his own. For an encore, Sylvia reported to the club in worse shape the next year and showed no motivation to atone for the first lost season.

Wouldn't we have rather seen the space Sylvia occupied be taken by someone else who would've worked hard for and appreciated the opportunity?

For all the drama of Josh Simpson's behavior last year, at least that could be better understood and even excused because Simpson, at age 20, was still a developing adult. Sylvia, several years older, with much more footy experience, is "mature age."

If we want to define the word "effort" and look for the epitome of someone hungry to seize and reclaim an opportunity, look no further than Anthony Morabito. If we want to look at "honor" in retirement, check out Jayden Pitt, who gave it his all before hanging up his boots.

Sylvia's departure isn't "retirement." It's a dishonorable discharge.

In the end, Sylvia can't even be considered a class clown. At least class clowns are larrikins who make you laugh.

Sylvia, as a Fremantle footballer, was a clown with no class.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to know a bloke who did give up his left one playing footy - true story. Medical advice was to stop playing in case he injured the one that was left and was made infertile.

But yes annoying as hell for most of us who try hard but never had the talent.

I was suspicious in the game against East Perth when he came off at half time no injury noted, nothing stated about why but he never came out of the rooms for the rest of the game. Reckon a decision was made then and has been given as 'concussion' until this announcement now.
Tendai was having a "conversation" with Col as they were leaving the ground at half time In the Peel v EP game. Col didn't look someone who had taken a hit to the head. I think he gave up then and the Club gave him a week to consider the options.

He chose wisely.

Unless Colin underwent a complete personality change while crossing the Nullabor, those that recruited him are as much to blame (if not more) than Colin himself.

Here's the reason for the "malice" and "hurt feelings":

Because Colin Sylvia treated the club and his contractual responsibilities with malice and surely hurt the feelings of his teammates by not being committed to them.

Let's compare Colin Sylvia's "effort" with another recent, big money Fremantle free agent signing, Danyle Pearce.

Pearce has worked his tail off, not missed a single match, embraced the club culture, has been a strong asset and in the times he wasn't doing what the senior coach wanted, he listened to his feedback and has improved his play from year to year.

Sylvia reported to the club out of shape, foolishly got suspended while playing in the reserves, then when he did get his senior club opportunity, he played the opposite of how the senior coach wanted him to, leading him to publicly say he had to play the team's style, not his own. For an encore, Sylvia reported to the club in worse shape the next year and showed no motivation to atone for the first lost season.

Wouldn't we have rather seen the space Sylvia occupied be taken by someone else who would've worked hard for and appreciated the opportunity?

For all the drama of Josh Simpson's behavior last year, at least that could be better understood and even excused because Simpson, at age 20, was still a developing adult. Sylvia, several years older, with much more footy experience, is "mature age."

If we want to define the word "effort" and look for the epitome of someone hungry to seize and reclaim an opportunity, look no further than Anthony Morabito. If we want to look at "honor" in retirement, check out Jayden Pitt, who gave it his all before hanging up his boots.

Sylvia's departure isn't "retirement." It's a dishonorable discharge.

In the end, Sylvia can't even be considered a class clown. At least class clowns are larrikins who make you laugh.

Sylvia, as a Fremantle footballer, was a clown with no class.

Well said, as always, Gil.

But we knew about Colin's character before we signed him up. If anyone deserves your scorn, it's Brad Lloyd and Chris Bond. But personally, I'm happy they had a crack at a talented (but inevitably lazy) free agent. You win some (Danyle) and obviously, you lose some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back