Mega Thread Possible trades in 2015 for the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with whattagun07 team list there is that they are too wedded to 'traditional positions'. You need players not that play the one position well, but fit within the team structure we now have and the way that players need to play a number of different roles depending on injuries/team we are playing/changes within the actual game. With that in mind Laird is a full on lock as we have seen Walsh use him in respect to this. Other example is Eddie who has often played in four positions in any game so far - full forward, small crumbing forward, midfielder, half back and I think there was a time he came in off the wing as well at a centre bounce.
Yeah that's a fair point Nikki, but you still need a bit of a definitive role within the team when everyone's up and firing.
Lynch is a prime example of someone who can play a variety of roles.
His place in the 18 is undisputed though, because he is exceptional as a high half forward.
We simplify a lot of things here, and the days of the 18 set positions are gone (for now).
Most 'team structures' still revolve around he traditional positions though imo, it's just that everyone is expected to cover more turf in doing so

Yeah that's a fair point Nikki, but you still need a bit of a definitive role within the team when everyone's up and firing.
Lynch is a prime example of someone who can play a variety of roles.
His place in the 18 is undisputed though, because he is exceptional as a high half forward.
We simplify a lot of things here, and the days of the 18 set positions are gone (for now).
Most 'team structures' still revolve around he traditional positions though imo, it's just that everyone is expected to cover more turf in doing so

It's interesting to look at the change in the game in these terms. I think you can roughly say that there are forwards, backs, and mids as the 'positions'. Within those areas I think I can name the positions as small, medium and tall backs/forwards and wings, mids and a ruckman.

If you look at our team there are really only two players who don't play any other role this season - Charlie Cameron and Sam Jacobs (although Sauce has gone forward a couple of times). Lynch and Walker swap between who is the high half forward and who plays deeper. Interestingly Charlie played midfield when he went back to the SANFL though.

The problem with whattagun07 team list there is that they are too wedded to 'traditional positions'. You need players not that play the one position well, but fit within the team structure we now have and the way that players need to play a number of different roles depending on injuries/team we are playing/changes within the actual game. With that in mind Laird is a full on lock as we have seen Walsh use him in respect to this. Other example is Eddie who has often played in four positions in any game so far - full forward, small crumbing forward, midfielder, half back and I think there was a time he came in off the wing as well at a centre bounce.

Curious to know your opinion, Nikki.
Anyone else you'd lock in? Include any utilities you like

Curious to know your opinion, Nikki.
Anyone else you'd lock in? Include any utilities you like

Hmm so looking at your list

FB BROWN TALIA ......
HB SMITH ....... .......
C SLOANE DANGER ......
HF LYNCH WALKER. .......
FF BETTS ........ ..........
R JACOBS B.CROUCH DOUGLAS
Int ........ ........ ........ .......

I'd change to

FB BROWN TALIA JAENSCH
HB LAIRD ....... .......
C SLOANE DANGER SMITH
HF LYNCH WALKER. .......
FF BETTS ........ ..........
R JACOBS B.CROUCH DOUGLAS
Int MACKAY ........ ........ .......

Prior to Jaenschy doing his knee he was a def lock and that mix of the three smalls/medium defenders is very good. They really compliment each other by bringing a slight different advantage. Smith we know Walsh wants on the wing and through the midfield.

Who I put on the bench is someone a lot of people hate on here, but he can play forward, midfield and back now. He's a great option to have to use off the backlines, as Walsh and Dasher have been doing this year, or to put on the wing if needed. With Jaensch being injured, we know Mackay has been earmarked for his 'role'.

For possibilities I would add Charlie to the forwards/bench as another small option and we need another tall forward who can relieve in the ruck to either be part of the three tall forward line or the two tall/ four smalls option to give one of the other talls a rest on the bench - so Lowden, JJ or ROB are the main options so far. JJ has the runs on the board and he would be the one who the others have to displace out of the side. I would add in Bob to that list on the bench and CEY if he continues on in form. Bob is the Thompson replacement and CEY has shown quite a bit of promise.

For me I think there is a good core there that just needs a bit of tweaking and another quality taller defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Laird ever get a game at Hawthorn? The answer is no. He's not premiership player quality and never will be.

The overrating of our players on this board is laughable.

He's only 21. He's done very well this year whilst developing.

Would Laird ever get a game at Hawthorn? The answer is no. He's not premiership player quality and never will be.

Garbage mate. He's in "The AFL Update" team of the week I think I saw somewhere. He's not elite but he'd certainly get a game for most clubs especially given his age.

He's only 21. He's done very well this year whilst developing.
Agreed, however, to call Laird a "lock" at this stage is a bit of a stretch. There's no certainty he'll remain on the same trajectory and on current form he doesn't look like a premiership quality player.

Look, I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

Agreed, however, to call Laird a "lock" at this stage is a bit of a stretch. There's no certainty he'll remain on the same trajectory and on current form he doesn't look like a premiership quality player.

If he's not a lock now, how is he going to develop into Walsh's 2017 tilt team?

You lock players like this in for the future.

... On current form he doesn't look a premiership quality player...

He's been in the best few small defenders in the comp over the last few weeks. Have you not been watching?

Also, strange statement to make. What is a "premiership quality player" in your opinion? You can't have a team of Dangers and Sloanes. He's a very tough and smart defender and I think you'll find most clubs would love to have him.

I would suggest a 21 year old who has developed and emerged as fast as Laird and come out of the 2nd year blues with style is exactly what you'd consider a "premiership quality player".

Garbage mate. He's in "The AFL Update" team of the week I think I saw somewhere. He's not elite but he'd certainly get a game for most clubs especially given his age.
He's not in the AFL team of the week...

How do we go about getting premiership quality players like Matt Spangher, Jonathon Simpkin & Max Bailey?

The bloke who arguably wasn't in our best 22 last season is now being touted as a lock for our next premiership.

Oh the mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back