No Oppo Supporters 2015 General AFL Discussion Thread (Swans Posters Only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To a certain extent i believe it is but people on this forum don't wanna admit it, they are a lot of bogans out there mate.

IMO Goodes offered his opinion on some controversial issues, then didn't back down when people questioned him like he should of (according to them) , in fact he just spoke up louder and that just gave them more of a reason to become haters.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to fault his footballing accomplishments so they take cheap shots at other aspects of his life.
Goodesy has always displayed true sportsmanship.

you can understand why some of their supporters are so backward in their thinking when it comes to racism.

I have to disagree with you there, we might laugh at some of the delusions of the Hawks posters on this forum when it comes to their opinions about footy, but I don't believe in tarring an entire supporter base with the same brush, and that was something I didn't like about what happened after the grand final.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to fault his footballing accomplishments so they take cheap shots at other aspects of his life.
Goodesy has always displayed true sportsmanship.

I think people forgot that Goodes went out of his way to call for people to support the teenage girl once he realised who it was. Unfortunately, once he pointed her out to the crowd, the media got hold of it and it gave the haters more of a reason to hate.

I have to disagree with you there, we might laugh at some of the delusions of the Hawks posters on this forum when it comes to their opinions about footy, but I don't believe in tarring an entire supporter base with the same brush, and that was something I didn't like about what happened after the grand final.

Some, not all. Certainly not the ones I know and certainly not the large majority of the supporter base. All clubs have it their seedy underbelly (including us) and sadly with how outspoken he has been it has allowed it to become "a thing" that has become over the top and beyond needless. Certainly its tone has gone up over the past 2 years but so has how he publicly in his views. I just wish people would admit it is what it is, for his off field actions and not his on field actions.

This plus his play acting/not being charged by the MRP over the years. That is probably where it comes from the most, I just don't get why others are not booed just as much...and I can't say the Hawks are angels, didn't Hodge get off breaking someone's jaw a few years ago?
Your all kidding yourselves, it's out and out racism and it's all driven by Eddie and his cohorts in the media in Melbourne. I have video evidence of people I interviewed after the gf last year, a cross reference of age groups and genders. The answers I got after a bit of prodding was staggering and quite frankly disgusting. My wife forwarded a letter to the Hawthorn Board and cc'd the Swans and various journalist that we respect as the garbage we heard at the ground that day went way beyond friendly banter. I am fairly thick skinned but what I heard in the crowd that day disturbed me profoundly. The people sitting next to us complained and moved elsewhere, nothing was done by security. The Hawks board to their credit answered our concerns promptly and advised they had received quite a number of complaints from their own members and others which they were looking into. Sorry folks, racism is alive and well.

Goodes handles it well its just another reason why he will go down as one of this country's greatest sportsmen on and off the field

Yeah loud collective booing is bs

The ones who have a go at him.pointing at the girl are ridiculous fools

Goodes handles it well its just another reason why he will go down as one of this country's greatest sportsmen on and off the field

Yeah loud collective booing is bs

The ones who have a go at him.pointing at the girl are ridiculous fools

3 lines, all short, sharp and to the point. Keep it up!

Your all kidding yourselves, it's out and out racism and it's all driven by Eddie and his cohorts in the media in Melbourne. I have video evidence of people I interviewed after the gf last year, a cross reference of age groups and genders. The answers I got after a bit of prodding was staggering and quite frankly disgusting. My wife forwarded a letter to the Hawthorn Board and cc'd the Swans and various journalist that we respect as the garbage we heard at the ground that day went way beyond friendly banter. I am fairly thick skinned but what I heard in the crowd that day disturbed me profoundly. The people sitting next to us complained and moved elsewhere, nothing was done by security. The Hawks board to their credit answered our concerns promptly and advised they had received quite a number of complaints from their own members and others which they were looking into. Sorry folks, racism is alive and well.

In 2011 I left the semi at the MCG in the last qrt, i had enough and it didn't help that i was surrounded by hawk fans who were all going to stupid, the nastiness wasnt there yet as it was a year to go before the GF, but they were being your typical in your face idiots.

So i got to jolimont station and myself and 3 others were on the platform, two guys, one rather big guy with a hawks scarf and the other with a guernsey. Anyway I said something to them and we struck up a quick convo. The convo turned to Goodes and the guy said without a care in the world that he thought Goodes was a massive dog and that he is a better footballer than Goodes will ever be. I was confused as Goodes was out there playing and this meathead was dressed in cheap leisure wear going home to franskton i assumed. I asked why he though he was better and he replied "Cause he is a black dog" I lost my s**t at the guy but he didnt care as he was laughing and kept calling goodes a dirty black aboe dog. I couldnt do much after that becasue this guy was massive so i walked away shacking and very angry.

It really cut me up, on the way home i was seething and had so many terrible thoughts going through my mind.

I refuse to go to hawthorn games for my on safety as i know i might be pushed over the edge by the nastiness of the hawthorn crowd. They dont relent at all and it seems to be the same sort of person who does it, the 40+ year old hawk fan. In fact i rekon that most of this arrogance and born to rule mentality comes from that age group as these men grew up as kids during the hawks succss in the 80s.

3 lines, all short, sharp and to the point. Keep it up!
RW, three lines only? I will go elsewhere if that's the verdict because people have to know the truth if they ask and they DID ask. Glad I found out early big footy, all glossy la la land garbage not reality. Draftee traded.

RW, three lines only? I will go elsewhere if that's the verdict because people have to know the truth if they ask and they DID ask. Glad I found out early big footy, all glossy la la land garbage not reality. Draftee traded.

He wasnt having a go at you, its a passionate topic, your contribution was good

I apologise if it looked like I was downplaying the topic, I must admit I only skim-read your post initially (it's been a long day). I agree it's a serious issue and something we shouldn't see at the footy. Don't be discouraged from posting here :)

Last edited:
I apologise if it looked like I was downplaying the topic, I must admit I only skim-read your post initially (it's been a long day). I agree it's a serious issue and something we shouldn't see at the footy. Don't be discouraged from posting here :)
Shouldn't see it anywhere, some things are more important than footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. Unfortunately it is hard to eradicate it completely but we can do our best. I know that all football clubs take racism seriously and I hate to see people turned off from going to the footy because of it.

Agreed

My honest view is in relation to something like is that its based largely on racism there may be a few booing for their other reasons as they say, but that a whole other topic.

But we know the people you highlight are there, when i look at the issue i think what can i do? Discussing it here with morons is like banging your head against a wall, off here the same feels pretty helpless

Agreed

My honest view is in relation to something like is that its based largely on racism there may be a few booing for their other reasons as they say, but that a whole other topic.

But we know the people you highlight are there, when i look at the issue i think what can i do? Discussing it here with morons is like banging your head against a wall, off here the same feels pretty helpless
Sir Swans, never feel like you can't make a difference, the collective whole can. Anyway, where is the thread to talk tactics and fix the Swans stoppage and clearance structures because if they fix that we won't be so lucky next time!

Sir Swans, never feel like you can't make a difference, the collective whole can. Anyway, where is the thread to talk tactics and fix the Swans stoppage and clearance structures because if they fix that we won't be so lucky next time!

Not sure if we have a recent thread dedicated to tactics, but just reply in the Hawks match review thread and we can create a new one, been meaning to start one for a while.

AFLPA and managers have a bizarre interpretation of looking after players.

Making the arrangements to accomodate the kids until they are draft age wouldn't be too hard. Short term there may be some adjustment but the benefits long term are enormous.

In 2015 a first round draft choice has a $71.5k base payment, plus $3,500 per game.
They sign a 2 year contract.
20 games in their first 2 seasons = $213,000.

How do you propose that shortfall is made up?

Also worth bearing in mind the average career span for an AFL player is currently 6 years.
What data do you have that extending the draft age to 20 would prolong those careers?

Last edited:
Not sure if we have a recent thread dedicated to tactics, but just reply in the Hawks match review thread and we can create a new one, been meaning to start one for a while.
This site confuses me a tad, getting used to it RW, maybe you should start the thread, Im not sure how to

In 2015 a first round draft choice has a $71.5k base payment, plus $3,500 per game.
They sign a 2 year contract.
20 games in their first 2 seasons = $213,000.

How do you propose that shortfall is made up?

Also worth bearing in mind the average career span for an AFL player is currently 6 years.
What data do you have that extending the draft age to 20 would prolong those careers?

Statistically, adding a constant to all numbers means that the average career span won't change. Instead of the average being 24-18 it will be 26-20. i.e. still 6.
Most sports around the world give their youngsters far more time to mature.
As for the $$$, IMO should play zero part in deciding a kids future. Paying them more doesn't make them any better or make them try any harder. It might also help them to consider life beyond footy. Clubs spend a lot of time and money trying to teach young football players how to become well rounded individuals, it is a life skill they can learn or start to learn before they get thrown into the self absorbed 'system' that is being a professional footballer.

IMO it all adds to better footballers and better individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back