List Mgmt. Player re-signings

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe people defend Shenton because he 'tries hard'. It's the most ridiculous excuse to try justify him as an AFL player. Everyone tries hard, put me on a list and I'll try hard, But I'll still be s**t.
I don't think everyone tries as hard as you think.

As others have pointed out, yes Shenton has his deficiencies. But these are mostly skill based deficiencies, which can be worked on and improved.
He looks to me though like he as the right attitude, and gives a lot of effort. This is a lot harder to train, in my opinion.

Just like in my workplace, I'll take someone who has the right attitude and skill them up, over someone who has all the skills but not so good attitude.

I don't think everyone tries as hard as you think.

As others have pointed out, yes Shenton has his deficiencies. But these are mostly skill based deficiencies, which can be worked on and improved.
He looks to me though like he as the right attitude, and gives a lot of effort. This is a lot harder to train, in my opinion.

Just like in my workplace, I'll take someone who has the right attitude and skill them up, over someone who has all the skills but not so good attitude.
A quintessential example of the very point you're making, is to compare Shents to somebody else on the list who could play his role : Arryn Siposs. Siposs is younger, taller, stronger, has infinitely better disposal, way more talent... and so much entitlement syndrome that he has not applied himself with any of the hard work of somebody like Shents. And look which one has more of a future.

Shenton is also starting to cop criticism for absolutely no reason now. On Sunday there were a group of muppets sitting behind us (L2 A30) who started the 'not Shenton, you're useless' rubbish from the beginning of the game. It was like the old Raph days when you couldn't go to a game without untalented flogs in the crowd bagging a bloke.

We know Shents' limitations but he is still a developing player (despite his age) & shouldn't have to cop rubbish from supposed supporters.

Players now out of contract at the end of the year (senior list) are:

Sam Gilbert
Arryn Siposs
Farren Ray
Tom Simpkin
Sean Dempster
Sam Fisher
Lewis Pierce
Spencer White
Darren Minchington
Daniel Markworth

You'd think some tough decisions are going to be made with this group. If they can move a White or Pierce to the rookie list, it may free up some spots with a retirement and one or two delistings.

The safest of this group (IMO) would be Dempster and Minchington. The least safe are Simpkin and Siposs.

Shenton is honestly the worst player that I have seen play for us since the 99-02 era, excluding maybe a few average ruckman.. That's not bashing it's genuinely the truth IMO.. On the weekend everytime he got the ball I said to my old man 'turn over' he'd either turn it over, hesitate abd run into trouble, or give it to someone under the pump.

I argue he's not even good defensively.. He panicks and does what gwilt used to do and worries about the man turning his back on the ball completely.. He cracks into a contest at ground level.. That's probably about it..

I can't understand him getting games ahead of developing players

Siposs, Simpkin, pierce and fisher retire I think is not a bad bet.. Maybe Gilbert traded
Players now out of contract at the end of the year (senior list) are:

Sam Gilbert
Arryn Siposs
Farren Ray
Tom Simpkin
Sean Dempster
Sam Fisher
Lewis Pierce
Spencer White
Darren Minchington
Daniel Markworth

You'd think some tough decisions are going to be made with this group. If they can move a White or Pierce to the rookie list, it may free up some spots with a retirement and one or two delistings.

The safest of this group (IMO) would be Dempster and Minchington. The least safe are Simpkin and Siposs.

Shenton is honestly the worst player that I have seen play for us since the 99-02 era, excluding maybe a few average ruckman.. That's not bashing it's genuinely the truth IMO.. On the weekend everytime he got the ball I said to my old man 'turn over' he'd either turn it over, hesitate abd run into trouble, or give it to someone under the pump.

I argue he's not even good defensively.. He panicks and does what gwilt used to do and worries about the man turning his back on the ball completely.. He cracks into a contest at ground level.. That's probably about it..

You don't have to understand

Shenton does have a lot of things going for him that people refuse to acknowledge. He's a terrific intercept mark, a good line breaker and actually reads the play very well.

I don't see him in our best 22 when everyone is fit, but he is a handy back up, better than others on the list. Obviously Richo and the rest of the staff agree with this and he's been rewarded.

Footy smarts you can't teach, people will pick up sections they go along, see how players set up, see how people in specific circumstances act and how chains are formed, and they'll consistently be 2-3 steps behind the play and appear slow, it's why a Dal Santo for instance had plenty of space in a contest, he was those steps ahead of his opponents at the time having read the play. Of course this is only half the battle, because I like to think that I have a fair understanding of the game of footy having umpired, played and coached along with viewed. You also need to be able to act on that in that split second and also have good judgement, skills and core ability which is what often limits people.

Shenton doesn't exactly have the skills, infrequently makes the poorer decision, but reads the play very well, and for that other 85-90% of the time is a more than competent footballer of some repute to remain on a clubs list, so happy he got an extension to be that option when we need one.

A quintessential example of the very point you're making, is to compare Shents to somebody else on the list who could play his role : Arryn Siposs. Siposs is younger, taller, stronger, has infinitely better disposal, way more talent... and so much entitlement syndrome that he has not applied himself with any of the hard work of somebody like Shents. And look which one has more of a future.

Being entirely blunt, Siposs would be gettign games if he removed his head from his anus to see how finite his time int he game actually is and can be. Once he understands that, he'll have the makings of a moderate to good flanker, so arguably best thing for anyone to do with him at the club is to tell him that he's delisted and piss him off so that he gets that clue. I'm also entirely convinced that Spence chose the wrong club, Gold Coast is more fitting for him sicne he does nto appear to take it as seriously as he should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Shenton getting another contract is just a stop gap until somebody else is ready to take his position. At the moment, the club aren't quite confident that he won't be required next year and so have decided to keep him around.

As others have said as well, we probably won't be making many list changes this year so some players who might not be part of our future plans have to stay on.

Dylan roberton on resigning, Stkilda in general

Oh the irony of a poster called Sippa making this kind of comment.

Screenshot-1.png
Looking at that, mate, there ain't much there to suggest your boy is much better. The main area he has Shents on is in scoring, but that's hardly surprising since Siposs is a forward and Shents is a backman.

Shenton does have a lot of things going for him that people refuse to acknowledge. He's a terrific intercept mark, a good line breaker and actually reads the play very well.

I don't see him in our best 22 when everyone is fit, but he is a handy back up, better than others on the list. Obviously Richo and the rest of the staff agree with this and he's been rewarded.
Terrific intercept Mark?? Are you joking? Fisher is a terrific intercept Mark, Rance is. Just because Shenton does it a couple of times doesn't make him terrific. It becomes irrelevant anyway when he cant kick.

Ok then next time you disagree with someone or something don't bother voicing it because 'you don't have to have an opinion'

Ridiculous comment

Didn't say you couldn't have an opinion.

Just clarifying that none of us know how and what players are rated for each week.

I spoke to him preseason and he said they had told him he needed to get better at running out games so he went to work and built his tank up. He is actually a really quiet peaceful kind of guy, not a wild man like his image might have made you expect. The knock on Siposs is that his tank might not be big enough, some have limits and can't change their make up but it could be a work rate thing with Siposs too. I hope Siposs gets a chance to have another crack as he was a bit inconsistent but showed a few good signs early on. I would be worried if I was him though. The idea that these guys aren't working hard is an assumption and unless someone inside the club tells you it's a bit malicious to suggest otherwise.

Sipposs had a break out 1st year then injured theb injured then injured. I doubt their gona delist him after hes just gotten over injuries.. I suspect he'll be given another year to see what hes got..
Also correct me if im wrong but pretty sure Farren signed a 3 year deal 2 years ago. So should still be contracted at the end of this season.

As bad as people say he is, and he does have limitations and can frustrate at times. I don't find him anywhere near as frustrating as What Raph did.
I don't mind him because he's having a go. Is he up to it? Time will tell. If he doesn't improve and the team does, then he might struggle to maintain his spot.

I suggest you go back through our lists from 2003- present. Plenty of blokes & I mean PLENTY that were inferior to Shenton.

The whole point of this is that it's really disappointing that some supporters feel the need to rain abuse on a bloke who is representing the club that we ALL love. The rubbish that the idiots behind me were carrying on with was absolutely ludicrous. Mistakes by other players were ignored & Shenton copped a torrent even when he actually possessed & disposed of the ball effectively.

You've got to remember that Richo is developing players at both VFL & AFL levels. While Wrighty might be a better option long term (which I think he is despite issues with his disposal as well), we don't know what Richo has told him to work on before he gets promoted. Other guys playing at VFL level either play a different role to Shents or are similarly being required to work on part of their game before they get a promotion.

So until those blokes prove that they're ready you're stuck with Shents. So how about giving him a go & not carrying on with this 'worst player' nonsense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back