List Mgmt. Player re-signings

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggest you go back through our lists from 2003- present. Plenty of blokes & I mean PLENTY that were inferior to Shenton.

The whole point of this is that it's really disappointing that some supporters feel the need to rain abuse on a bloke who is representing the club that we ALL love. The rubbish that the idiots behind me were carrying on with was absolutely ludicrous. Mistakes by other players were ignored & Shenton copped a torrent even when he actually possessed & disposed of the ball effectively.

You've got to remember that Richo is developing players at both VFL & AFL levels. While Wrighty might be a better option long term (which I think he is despite issues with his disposal as well), we don't know what Richo has told him to work on before he gets promoted. Other guys playing at VFL level either play a different role to Shents or are similarly being required to work on part of their game before they get a promotion.

So until those blokes prove that they're ready you're stuck with Shents. So how about giving him a go & not carrying on with this 'worst player' nonsense.
He's been given a go, and I can't see it at all. The fact he tries hard and does a few good things a game is far out-weighed by the basic errors you see at junior level he makes.
Just because he plays for the saints doesn't mean I'm automatically going to put my blinkers on and ignore the fact he isn't an AFL standard footballer...in my opinion.
Just because I don't rate him doesn't make me a hater, in fact I'd love nothing more then for him to be a great player but I am 99% confident it'll never happen.

shenton going on for one more year is probably the biggest indicator that the talent in this draft doesnt go every far at all

makes me wonder if we will use the rookie list spots freed up by promotion with an older or existing listed player or if we will go the mature state leaguer

I suggest you go back through our lists from 2003- present. Plenty of blokes & I mean PLENTY that were inferior to Shenton.

The whole point of this is that it's really disappointing that some supporters feel the need to rain abuse on a bloke who is representing the club that we ALL love. The rubbish that the idiots behind me were carrying on with was absolutely ludicrous. Mistakes by other players were ignored & Shenton copped a torrent even when he actually possessed & disposed of the ball effectively.

You've got to remember that Richo is developing players at both VFL & AFL levels. While Wrighty might be a better option long term (which I think he is despite issues with his disposal as well), we don't know what Richo has told him to work on before he gets promoted. Other guys playing at VFL level either play a different role to Shents or are similarly being required to work on part of their game before they get a promotion.

So until those blokes prove that they're ready you're stuck with Shents. So how about giving him a go & not carrying on with this 'worst player' nonsense.

Agree, you would have to say there are still quite a few on the list because he is being played. I'm absolutely sure they aren't putting him in because they consider him a worse option than some of the others. He might get better, some kids might overtake him and he gets delisted, he might do an injury tomorrow and his career derails. Footy is a funny game, we are all remembering Siposs' good points a few years ago he was going to be an upgrade on Goddard. I don't count anything until it comes good. Right now Shents is good enough to get a spot in the team and should be supported. His best quality to me is his ability to refocus even when the s**t hits the fan. He just reloads and back himself without dropping his head. His mental toughness is an asset and probably why he's ahead of some of the kids.

shenton going on for one more year is probably the biggest indicator that the talent in this draft doesnt go every far at all

makes me wonder if we will use the rookie list spots freed up by promotion with an older or existing listed player or if we will go the mature state leaguer
I personally couldn't see Shenton being delisted this year anyway.

I think we'll still have 3 picks plus upgrade Jill at the minimum.

Schneider, Siposs, Simpkin most likely gone with a number of others in the gun depending how the rest of the season goes.

Remember when Sean arrived from the swans.

About 24, he copped SO much flack.

Nicknamed Dumpster, he was only getting games cause Ross had favourites.

Yet it later emerged that Sean was gifted many match day balls by his peers cause of internal standards and rating systems.

My point isn't that Cam is going to be anything like the player Sean is. I'm just saying people have their perception of a player without knowing their actual role.

Do coaches have favourites?

Absolutely.

Would the net of selection commitee, leadership groups and assistants see a guy "gifted" games in modern footy?

I do find that harder to believe.

Don't agree with his selection by all means, highlight shortcomings and give opinion on potential replacements sure.

Worst player since 99 though, scratch my head comment.

Schneider, Siposs, Simpkin most likely gone with a number of others in the gun depending how the rest of the season goes.
Isn't that Newnes? Not Sinclair? Now I am confused...:confused:
Was going to say the same thing. W2L, I think you got your Jacks confused! :p (easy to do!).

Newnes = Jill , Sinclair = Jeff.

Stop hating Shenton and then there wont be any people to call Shenton haters.
its just lazy to generalise all people that IMO who think their are better options

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree ive been saying for a while now i think we'll take 2 draftees + 1 father son + 1 rookie upgrade

on the delistings, i stopped guessing, given the form of the senior blokes and some of the younger ones missing games

schneider is a rookie so he wont count towards the draft minimum

Great news all round, Cam with a single year extension looks perfect, seems to have his flaws but obviously tries his guts out, not the worst on our list atm... ;)

I look at Shenton this way.

St.Kilda is like a family. At times horribly dysfunctional, often delusional and not the most successful family in the street. But it is my family and I love them unconditionally.

Do I like everyone in my family all the time? Hell no.

Will I criticise some family members to others in the family? Sometimes.

Will I defend them to the death to anyone outside of my family even if they are on my s*** list? Every-time.

Shenton is that family member who divides everyone (used to be Raph). Some always only see the good, because he is one of the family. Others see him as useless and wish your grandmother would stop defending him all the time.

At the end of the day he is family, and despite how much he makes me want to tear my hair out and scream profanities at the television I will continue to support him.

Could be worse … he could be James Hird. The golden boy and selfish entitled child now tearing his whole family apart!

I think Shenton is hanging around just to keep the young guys honest for another year before they overtake him. Nothing more, nothing less. If people would prefer to see other options playing sooner than no biggie.

When you say there are better options, do you mean their are better options out there to replace Shenton on our list?
better at sandy

Who do you think would be better options at Sandy?
Sandy: wright, saunder, eli, goddrad and murdoch
Injured: robo, fisher, billings, snids/sinc

i just put more weight on the offensive aspect of players games and for those players who don't or are not defenders, i would switch savage back to a more defensive role because on the weekend he was more on the swing before being thrown forward late

Shenton must be a dud - otherwise why would he get a contract extension - it wouldn't make sense.

Hang on that doesn't make sense. I'll try again.

Must be worth keeping - otherwise why would he get a contract extension.

I mean its only the list managers and coach who making these decisions.

I suspect they may know more about the players than me.

Shenton must be a dud - otherwise why would he get a contract extension - it wouldn't make sense.

Hang on that doesn't make sense. I'll try again.

Must be worth keeping - otherwise why would he get a contract extension.

I mean its only the list managers and coach who making these decisions.

I suspect they may know more about the players than me.
they probably just realise you can't replace 8 players in one year and splitting it over 2 years

Oh the irony of a poster called Sippa making this kind of comment.

View attachment 144372
Looking at that, mate, there ain't much there to suggest your boy is much better. The main area he has Shents on is in scoring, but that's hardly surprising since Siposs is a forward and Shents is a backman.
He's not my boy.. I made this profile in 2012 and never changed the name, he hasn't lived up to his promise.. And if those stats are what you base performance off plenty of shithouse players would all have brownlows... Don't believe in my critique on Shenton I mentioned anything about his ability to get a kick???

Just because he wears the colours doesn't mean I have to think he's a good player...

Name me 5 in that era who have played 20+ games who have been worse than he. Excluding ruckman as I mentioned that in my post

Pretty sure we did at least 8 players in 2012.
yep we did but that wasn't the best idea was it, we were in the compromised draft era and tried to bring in middle aged (or at least non teenagers) to cope with our list age with players like saad, miera in the previous year and then in 2012 was tom lee hickey and TDL. looking at it now wasn't the best.

so i wouldn't think the 8 changes was a success if we go with this method again, blues just did it last year adding in jones and tutt trying to add middle age players.

i would like to see 3-4 inside the 50 (or i of them be used for the PSD/DFA) upgrade sinclair and build onto next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back