RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Just stunned. Watching it now. Disbelief.

RIP Phil. Condolences to everyone affected by this devastating tragedy.

Was an assistant at Geelong - so your logic is wrong

No game should be played
The game SHOULD be played, whether the players and the club want to is a different matter. Walsh was a footy bloke, no better way of honouring that than with a game.

If they do, I'm not ashamed to admit I WILL be supporting them.
Given the unique circumstances I'd be happy to go with whatever the Crows as a club want to do. If they want no game, then reschedule somehow. I don't think the AFL will accommodate that though.

This will be the one and only time (outside of needing them to for Ports finals chances) I'm hoping Adelaide win.

Unbelievable. What a tragedy. To be murdered by your son is shocking.

How can any of you be arguing whether a game of football should be played?
Because it is still important and was certainly important to Walsh who dedicated his whole life to it, that's how.

But as o said, whether the players will be capable is a completely different matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They surely won't play the game on the weekend?

I really do think the showdown needs to be changed into something like a remembrance game, a goodwill game, where the points are split between both teams or something. I certainly don't want to be walking into that game in a business as usual manner.

How can any of you be arguing whether a game of football should be played?

I tend to agree. Football is just a game, the real tragedy here is a family tragedy.

And to the people speculating whether it's drugs or his wife's injuries were caused by someone else... please just shut the f... up.

Insofar as that is directed at me, I am not speculating about who caused his wife's injuries. I'm saying we don't know (or at least didn't when I originally posted).

And that's going to be my last word on this for now.

People on facebook saying at the next showdown we should run through one banner with Adelaide to pay our respects to Walsh.

Id be all for it.

Uniting the SA community as one in this tough time. Football is such a small thing in the grand scheme of life.

I can't believe people are focusing on the game.

Seeing as I brought it up I'll say my thinking was as I try to comprehend what has happened to the Walsh family I also have enormous sympathy for the Adelaide players who must be going through hell too as they wake up to this news.

Surely it's completely unfair to expect them to just get out there on the weekend and play a game of football, a mere triviality in the face of the massive tragedy that has just happened.

Shocking, devastating and literally tragic news.
RIP Phil Walsh.
220765-06a80826-4cfa-11e4-b6e4-edc180f5fd07.jpg

I really do think the showdown needs to be changed into something like a remembrance game, a goodwill game, where the points are split between both teams or something. I certainly don't want to be walking into that game in a business as usual manner.

The unfortunate reality is it's a billion-dollar industry with thousands of jobs that hinge on games being played.

I'm not sure any abandoned fixtures can logistically stretch beyond this week.

Changing the Showdown Medal to the Phil Walsh Medal is a bare minimum to honour the man.

Such tragic news to wake upto, a good man taken from the world too soon.

He was a great coach who played an integral role in our success in his time here & looked to have the AFC well on the right track, but more importantly he seemed like a decent quirky guy & the world will be worse off without him.

Many condolences to his family, friends & those close to him. RIP Phil Walsh, you will be missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back