Ben Reid not named in VFL - Possible Injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Snell1234

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that Ben Reid hasn't been named in the VFL team, can we all agree that Ben Reid is in fact ''injured" and that my discussion thread can stay open?

For those that want to discuss, the points I made were as follows:

What do we do with him? His body clearly is failing him at the moment and there must be an underlying issue. Do we write off the year for him and send him back to Germany? Are there any other novel treatments that we can use to try and get him right? Have the club been able to identify the cause of these injuries or is it not possible to do so?

You'd have to think there is an overall root cause, as it is not just one muscle he keeps injuring, but it's been his calf, quad and hamstring.

Hopefully this thread stays open and we don't all live in a fairyland where we can't accept this guy is injured and it is a very serious issue.

• Banned
And by serious issue I mean that he is continually to have these soft tissue injuries (not that the injury in itself is serious),

This might spell the end of the road for Ben if its another lengthy layover, however, on the other hand if its only a week and precautionary and he is back and gets fit and then plays finals, well he's saved his career. I think that second scenario is starting to look very doubtful though.

Bucks has been pretty honest with this one, he got a corked calf, that has all but been confirmed now. For anyone else that would have meant 3-4 days of treatment with no training and then almost a certain return at the same level the next weekend.

As Bucks said though, a corked calf for Ben Reid is now different to a corked calf for anyone else.

Good chance he returns to training mid week and plays VFL next weekend, decent chance he's playing at Whitten Oval next Saturday, if even only for a half.

It does set him back 2-3 weeks at least though in terms of senior selection.

I am a massive fan of Ben's. Definitely think he is in our top 3 most important players with Pendles and Cloke.

However, this continual injury issue is really starting to worry me.

Will he ever be able to get on the field again for an extended period? I really hope so but not so sure

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably never see Ben Reid at his AA best ever again. Such a shame that such a talented player has been cruelled by injury at such a young age.

Just want to see the boy get to 100 games at least

I am a massive fan of Ben's. Definitely think he is in our top 3 most important players with Pendles and Cloke.

However, this continual injury issue is really starting to worry me.

Will he ever be able to get on the field again for an extended period? I really hope so but not so sure
Its just dawning on you now you are getting worried?

Ben Reid will be lucky to play another 50 games in the black and white and thats the brutal honest truth.

• Banned
Bucks has been pretty honest with this one, he got a corked calf, that has all but been confirmed now. For anyone else that would have meant 3-4 days of treatment with no training and then almost a certain return at the same level the next weekend.

As Bucks said though, a corked calf for Ben Reid is now different to a corked calf for anyone else.

Good chance he returns to training mid week and plays VFL next weekend, decent chance he's playing at Whitten Oval next Saturday, if even only for a half.

It does set him back 2-3 weeks at least though in terms of senior selection.
Good points.

In relation to the "cork", I understand a cork to be a trauma injury i.e. some force hitting his calf causing the injury. I do not believe that this is what happened with Ben in the VFL. There was no incident where he pulled up after getting a kick to the calf. I saw him pull up after he jumped in the air. That to me doesn't satisfy the definition of a cork. I wish the club could explain this to us in greater detail as I can't help but feel we are being slightly misled.

Last time he had a corked quad he missed 4-5 weeks.

i think he is finished, his body is completely shot and even if did get up for one or two senior games he is a huge risk everytime he crosses the white line to leave us a man down.

I cant see him ever stringing a month of senior football together unfortunately

Last edited:
Its just dawning on you now you are getting worried?

Ben Reid will be lucky to play another 50 games in the black and white and thats the brutal honest truth.
I am very much a glass half full person (or crazy optimist). I still even have blind faith now that we will still get a fair bit more out of Ben's career

i think he is finished, his body is completely shot and even if did get up for one or two senior games he is a huge risk everytime he crosses the white line to leave us a man down.

I cant see him ever stringing a month of senior football unfortunately
Normally I would consider a post like this to be OTT or a huge over reaction. However in this case I have to agree. The slightest touch or slightest over exertion and he is out for 3 to 5 weeks. And I am getting a little tired of the club saying "minor". He basically hasn't played for 1 and a half seasons due to minor injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very much a glass half full person (or crazy optimist). I still even have blind faith now that we will still get a fair bit more out of Ben's career
Being an eternal optimist is actually the result of having a defective frontal lobe. It's science.

Reid is done, if he ever takes the field again it'll only be a couple of games before his calf falls off or his quad explodes. Factoring him in to Collingwood's future is starting to do harm.

Is it legal for AFL footballers to wear shin guards?

If so is there a calf alternative?

If it helps reduce the impact caused by a kick to the calf then I'm open to it.

This is the only option IMO

image.jpg

The fact Bucks started laughing when he trotted out the kicked calf thing again said it all

Now that Ben Reid hasn't been named in the VFL team, can we all agree that Ben Reid is in fact ''injured" and that my discussion thread can stay open?

For those that want to discuss, the points I made were as follows:

What do we do with him? His body clearly is failing him at the moment and there must be an underlying issue. Do we write off the year for him and send him back to Germany? Are there any other novel treatments that we can use to try and get him right? Have the club been able to identify the cause of these injuries or is it not possible to do so?

You'd have to think there is an overall root cause, as it is not just one muscle he keeps injuring, but it's been his calf, quad and hamstring.

Hopefully this thread stays open and we don't all live in a fairyland where we can't accept this guy is injured and it is a very serious issue.

So, are we to believe that he is seriously injured again or is this a serious issue. You previously mentioned that his last "corkie" saw him miss 4-5 weeks so is that what we are expecting here. If he's back next week in VFL is this still a serious issue?

We all know Reid has experienced injuries over the last 18 months but prior to this guy played 77 games in four season which is a pretty good return. Now Nathan Brown has played only 95 games in 7 seasons, and he seems to be traveling pretty well now.

What do we do with him? Well, call me naive, but I'm sure that one of and if not the biggest sporting club in Australia has some pretty good medical/physio connections that would be providing good advice. We are cautious, and why not. We are traveling pretty well and for a team that may be looking at playing finals in 10 weeks or so, managing Reid so he is at his best come that time would be paramount. He'll need to play a few games obviously in the lead up and I'm not worried that he won't.

I'm not sure I see any benefit in the club withholding information from us. He'll always be a week by week case but why would the club not just come out and say he won't be ready for x number of weeks if he wasn't right.

His brother is pretty similar also isn't he, had his fair share of soft tissue injuries.

James Hird had ongoing soft tissue injuries and it's widely known that Kevin Sheedy was concerned about him continually pulling up lame around the same time each year in his early playing career. I'm glad they stuck with him and I'm 100% positive that the Bombers faithful persevered. Reid is only 26. He has some good years of football left and the club knows this. They will be managing him accordingly and whilst it's sad to not see him out there in either AFL or VFL this week, I for one am still confident we'll see him playing before finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back