Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

This year nearly every year the Squiggle changes it's mind on who will play in the Grand Final. It's still got Fremantle making it. They won't get there with a 10 foot pole. So what happened? Wasn't it a race for the flag? Surely it won't get it wrong two years in a row?

Roby, you predicting that Freo won't make it to the grand final makes me surer that Freo will.

Your predictions simply have no credibility whatsoever whereas the squiggle is actually based on logical and substantiated assumptions.

Yeah but how many beans.

I will continue to make money on Fremantle for the rest of the year while you have to watch the Eagles play in a Grand Final.

Roby, you predicting that Freo won't make it to the grand final makes me surer that Freo will.

Your predictions simply have no credibility whatsoever whereas the squiggle is actually based on logical and substantiated assumptions.

Good luck.

Can I have at least one shred of evidence regarding dickish behaviour from Final Siren?

As for you Roby, I don't even need to leave this thread.

Exactly, one bloke is a genuine stats nerd, happy to follow logic and when he does call others out does it with class and style.

The other bloke is a person with a serious gambling problem who needs genuine help and a 'model' based on subjective data and when he does call out others does it with a lack of class and style.

I have to respond.

I'm not going to get into debate about everything you've said otherwise will be here for a very long time.

There is a reason why I posted in the power rankings thread tips against the Squiggle, because I knew how it performs. I was probably hitting Max's website two or three times a day which I bet (excuse the pun) is more than anyone here. I could suggest an improvement for the Squiggle's algorithm quite easily with one little tweak, but why should I given Final Siren has been a dick for the last couple of years. I never actually reported him because I really didn't care in the end. But I knew it was ultimately just jealously.

Can you point to final siren being a dick to you? I'm genuinely curious whether this is being a dick or just constructive criticism.

His model sits in bottom six of the age tipsters. This week by betting against it you would have return nearly double your money with 7 of the 8 lines coming up. If you think it's an oddity, it's not.

This thread does a number of things:

1. It tells you who is most closest to the flag
2. It tells you the balance of all the sides, whether they're more attacking or defensive
3. It tells you how well the defense and offense of the teams are going and tells you in a much more objective manner than the eyeball test
4. It provides you with a generally accurate depiction of who are the better sides and who are the worse sides

None of these are tipping or betting, it's not even the main aim of the thread, which is called Race for the flag, in squiggly lines it says in the title that this is a thread designed to predict who will win the flag. Ultimately, there's only one tip that this thread cares about, and it's the last and most important one.

It's not very good at predicting the Grand Final because last year he tipped Sydney when nearly every other model tipped Hawthorn. Hawthorn didn't just win, they won by 10 goals. If it is ultimately a race for the flag in squiggly lines and if it can't even pick the one game it matters what does actually do well?

• Is it good at tipping?
  • Does it beat the market?
  • Is it good with margins?

Final siren has posted his rate on predicting grand finalists and preliminary and semi finalists. It's pretty impressive. For the record Sydney were favourites for a lot of models, champion data predicted a Sydney win, the squiggle predicted a Sydney win by 10, footy maths predicted Hawthorn by one point and footy forecaster predicted a Hawthorn win by 11 points. Nearly every model was at least 40 points off the margin.

Most tipsters tipped Essendon and Essendon were favourite. Having said that only two tipsters in the age tipped a higher margin for Essendon than Squiggle. Even leading tipsters tipped Essendon this week.

You can't just say there is limitations to a model when most people tipped Essendon. It's too simplistic of an assessment and doesn't add anything. The reason why Essendon were favourite is because Essendon were much more competitive against the premiership favourite and the measuring stick of the competition. St Kilda lost 63 points to the Hawks while the Bombers only lost 38.

There's that, there's also St Kilda's wooden spoon season in 2014 where they conceded the most points of any side scored the second least amount of points, and the fact that Essendon only lost to Sydney in Sydney by 12 points.

The problem lies much deeper. You see you get one thing incorrect and everything falls. Bulldogs are not rated at the moment and I understand why but Saints played well against them. Neither is Melbourne. I'm guessing that they will now beat Essendon next week. Again I checked the squiggle and it's tipping Essendon over the Dees. But the Bombers are still very injured they played like s**t against a team that the Dees nearly beat, is it so hard to create a model that will tip Melbourne next week?

So form matters right? Well footy maths factors in form and it's tipped 70 and the squiggle has tipped 71. Factoring in injuries opens up a pandoras box of problems that you've experienced yourself, how do you determine the WAP (wins above replacement) rating of a player given this is a game where individual performances can't be separated? You end up not knowing the true value of the replacements and plus, you never know the true value of the stars because this is a league which is never devoid of injuries. You want to say that Essendon play better with Carlisle? Go ahead, you're right. You want to create a power rankings system which accurately bakes injuries into its system and works? I've never seen one which actually functionally works, and that counts yours. You haven't statistically proven that Gold Coast is the best side in a league without injuries because there is no data for that in the first place.

As I said, both systems don't peg Gold Coast right, which is not surprising, they're a young side, no-one really knows their true weight.

I can tell you that I am an awful tipper.

So why are you abusing final siren for not tipping well then?

The human brain is a machine; a quantum computer.

Humans are wonderfully clever, inventive and can think of ideas and create things that robots currently can't. However, humans are bad at recognizing patterns at a macro level without actually number crunching, you know, relying on machines to get some statistical analysis. I'm surprised a man of calculus is heckling a man who relies on data and cold hard numbers. Unless your system is, as final siren thinks, purely you sitting on the couch, there has to be some statistical basis for your system. In fact, given your lists about injury and umpiring influences and their statistical weightings, surely there is.

I like this thread. I liked yours. Both have limitations, final siren knows the limitations of the squiggle, do you know the limitations of your model?

I'm actually with roby on this one. But a few weeks of low scoring and so will final siren, if it hasn't happened already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I have at least one shred of evidence regarding dickish behaviour from Final Siren?

As for you Roby, I don't even need to leave this thread.

Final Siren below.

so this thread can focus on what it's really good at: ludicrous rationalizations.
Adelaide has hung around near the top of the Power Rankings since 2012. One of these years they will come good again and prove the system's genius.
Ah, so when you said, "Last year the Power Rankings tipped the Tigers to make the finals with 6 games to go," you meant: "Last year the Power Rankings calculated the Tigers had a 12% chance of making the finals, which was worth a bet given the odds, although I didn't tell anyone about this until Round 21, and until then said they'd miss."
The Rankings did predict at one stage they were more than 50% chance of making despite never been odds on. Just twisting facts.
It depends. Sometimes Roby gets backed up and the rankings aren't released for days. But other times, like if he's been eating dodgy kebabs,
If instead of picking Richmond as your upset of the round, you had randomly selected any other game, there's a 62.5% chance you would have been right.
His explanations make no sense, his power rankings bear no resemblance to reality, and his view on umpiring teeters on the brink on insanity,
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-afl-power-rankings.1091941/page-34#post-38628605
A power ranking of Roby's greatest moments? Eg
  1. Gold Coast v Carlton implosion
  2. 3th (or was it 4rd?)
  3. Input error
  4. Melbourne to 4th
  5. Tipping Bulldogs upset over Sydney
And many more...

And that's 2015.

2014 was no better.

Wait, you're behind the squiggle?! Wow. I've always said an insightful human observer will out-tip the squiggle. It's a simple algorithm that anyone can do with a calculator, Year 9 level maths, and no football knowledge beyond the scores and venue.

You're saying that by adding, let's see, however long it takes to watch 162 games of football so far this year (400 hours? 10 working weeks!), personally review every umpiring decision/non-decision, track the ins and outs, rate every player in the AFL, and do whatever else to track all the other variables you monitor, after all this, you have managed to...

*checks Collingwood result*

Roby tip: Port Adelaide
Squiggle tip: Collingwood by 6
Actual result: Collingwood by 6

... you have managed to do worse.

Final Siren posted the following after I was seriously sick in hospital.

Just look how optimistic he is. Flat on his back, still gives the thumbs'-up. Inspirational stuff.

Although given the birthday on the weekend, I wonder if this is a self-inflicted injury, like his Adelaide ranking.

Yes very funny and empathetic.

I have to respond.

Can you point to final siren being a dick to you? I'm genuinely curious whether this is being a dick or just constructive criticism.

See above.

This thread does a number of things:

1. It tells you who is most closest to the flag
2. It tells you the balance of all the sides, whether they're more attacking or defensive
3. It tells you how well the defense and offense of the teams are going and tells you in a much more objective manner than the eyeball test
4. It provides you with a generally accurate depiction of who are the better sides and who are the worse sides

1. It's a representation of an idea of who is closest to the flag. It's not actual reality. At best it does just as good a job as the bookmakers, never better.
2. Well yes it does it that.
3. What is this eyeball test?
4. Are the Bulldogs, Melbourne and St Kilda as bad as the Squiggle suggests?

None of these are tipping or betting, it's not even the main aim of the thread, which is called Race for the flag, in squiggly lines it says in the title that this is a thread designed to predict who will win the flag. Ultimately, there's only one tip that this thread cares about, and it's the last and most important one.

And yet most of the talk is about tipping and forecasting. If it's not about those these why do those things get talked about the most.

Final siren has posted his rate on predicting grand finalists and preliminary and semi finalists. It's pretty impressive. For the record Sydney were favourites for a lot of models, champion data predicted a Sydney win, the squiggle predicted a Sydney win by 10, footy maths predicted Hawthorn by one point and footy forecaster predicted a Hawthorn win by 11 points. Nearly every model was at least 40 points off the margin.

Most models predicted Hawthorn or had Hawthorn on top.

There's that, there's also St Kilda's wooden spoon season in 2014 where they conceded the most points of any side scored the second least amount of points, and the fact that Essendon only lost to Sydney in Sydney by 12 points.

Yes and it was a similar issue I had with my model which I needed to improve.

So form matters right? Well footy maths factors in form and it's tipped 70 and the squiggle has tipped 71. Factoring in injuries opens up a pandoras box of problems that you've experienced yourself, how do you determine the WAP (wins above replacement) rating of a player given this is a game where individual performances can't be separated? You end up not knowing the true value of the replacements and plus, you never know the true value of the stars because this is a league which is never devoid of injuries. You want to say that Essendon play better with Carlisle? Go ahead, you're right. You want to create a power rankings system which accurately bakes injuries into its system and works? I've never seen one which actually functionally works, and that counts yours. You haven't statistically proven that Gold Coast is the best side in a league without injuries because there is no data for that in the first place.

As I said, both systems don't peg Gold Coast right, which is not surprising, they're a young side, no-one really knows their true weight.

Other rankings systems around the world do so. I checked some NBA rankings recently and they were accounting for it.

So why are you abusing final siren for not tipping well then?

Where is the abuse. I just said if you tip against it will make you money. How is that abuse? Did you read my previous post. I actually like checking the Squiggle. I don't like how Final Siren acts, belittling.

Humans are wonderfully clever, inventive and can think of ideas and create things that robots currently can't. However, humans are bad at recognizing patterns at a macro level without actually number crunching, you know, relying on machines to get some statistical analysis. I'm surprised a man of calculus is heckling a man who relies on data and cold hard numbers. Unless your system is, as final siren thinks, purely you sitting on the couch, there has to be some statistical basis for your system. In fact, given your lists about injury and umpiring influences and their statistical weightings, surely there is.

I like this thread. I liked yours. Both have limitations, final siren knows the limitations of the squiggle, do you know the limitations of your model?

Yes there are many limitations to my model, many more than this one, due to the fact it uses more parameters. You will find in my posts I have mentioned limitations over and over, at ad nauseam. I do know why you haven't seen me post them because they are definitely there.

Poor lil fella.

I'm only trying help you mate, I'm sorry about your Freo. Pavlich used to be my favourite player for a very long time and I always wanted him to win one.

FFS, everyone loves this thread and the squiggle. Why is this guy so salty? If you don't like it, and you've said your piece then stop being such an attention whore.

FFS, everyone loves this thread and the squiggle. Why is this guy so salty? If you don't like it, and you've said your piece then stop being such an attention whore.
His thread was locked because his ultimate troll was eventually up and his last rants turned personal.

He has been proven to be a:
  1. fraud,
  2. problem gambler,
  3. shyster,
  4. liar,
  5. flamer,
  6. troll,
  7. baiter,
  8. attention whore
And if people complain or report, every single one of those points can be quoted in his 4 years of posting on BigFooty.
And worst of all, people lapped it up. His thread was finally locked after years of nonsensical and decreasingly sophisticated trolling.

Can we just reopen the power rankings thread so that Roby's wisdom can be collected at one place?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back