WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
I will start this off by saying I think we could get a late teen pick for Hansen off a club desperate enough.

He plays an absolute nothing role that seems to have been well and truly figured out by opposition sides or just doesn't work anymore.

And I am generally a Hansen fan FWIW.

When I saw Charlie Dixon tearing Tarrant a new one, I thought, "where the hell is Hansen?". Isn't he our layoff player to help out?

All I ever see him doing now is chasing around a smaller opponent who he is poorly matched up on and who is generally having an influence against us.

Even when he does get somewhere near a position to intercept he too often clangs the mark and I have never seen a 6"6 100kg player not be able to shake a tackle worst than him when he is caught.

He resembles a bloke from the amateurs that has a few bears the night before a game and plays the next day.

Durdin could surely fill this role (if we see it fit to keep it) by next year?

So with the view you have to give something to get something, a 26/27 year old player of his dimensions with 120 games would be highly sort after on his form from a couple of years back and even early last year.

The right suitor will pay a pick in the high teens or perhaps he can be part of a trade to get a quality mid.

We have plenty of tall stocks and Hansen is surplus and shockingly overrated.

Would be curious people's thoughts on he and other players.

Hansen, Swallow, Thompson and Atley.

Atley has plateaued, I just don't see where and how he'll come good.

Swallow's kicking is becoming critical. We are at breaking point.

Thompson would do well at Freo/Hawthorn for a first rounder if they want go for another flag to replace McPharlin/Lake.

I love Lachy. But his performance on Saturday was abysmal. We tried to fukin hide him at CHF, that's how poor he was. Provided no support for Tarrant and whilst he was meant to be our loose, the opposing loose for GC ran amok (may have been Hall?)
I know Hansens a larrikan and he's funny but I seriously don't give a heck anymore who is a good bloke and who isn't. He should be dropped on Saturdays output.

All four would net us a first rounder each and I hope we trade agressively. Key word being hope. A prelim in 2014 is as good as this list has in them.
Need someone else to come in and revitalise the group for the clubs sake.

Thompson has no currency.

He's 29 years old and miles away from the player he was a few years ago.

Better off keeping him to help out the kids.

Swallow is another that has reduced his trade value, but would be worth exploring. Late 1st, early 2nd would be around his mark.

Hansen is definitely one we should be offloading. Not overly productive for us, not the sort of player that will propel us forward. Bank a good pick and draft a gun mid.

Football Department should hold the strings to trade here.

Worst outcome for us would be to lose another quality player for a mid range draft pick.

Only trades allowed should be for outright guns.

Limit the trading of draft picks too.

You cannot trade Swallow. He's club captain presently.
Something like that would just rip the soul out of the place.
He should lose the captaincy though at seasons end as part of a rebuild and be accountable for his position like anyone else.
Atley I would keep. We are so desperate for run we just can't afford to let him go.
Would be interesting to see how he goes as a midfielder under a new coach.
Thompson is exactly the move we need to make. We would feel his departure initially, but that is the nature of a rebuild.
Freo or the Hawks would offer up their first pick for him which we could subsequently use on a class mid (much like the Hansen scenario I mentioned earlier).
Last year we used our first two picks on key backs. Sure they have both been injured, but in year two you should expect such high picks to be able to come in and start playing their role in a rebuilding side.
If Thompson and Hansen both go and things start getting wobbly, throw Drew back there to help out, which should be considered anyway to let our new forward line of Brown, Black and Wood (no triple towers) develop.

Hansen, Swallow, Thompson and Atley.

Atley has plateaued, I just don't see where and how he'll come good.

Swallow's kicking is becoming critical. We are at breaking point.

Thompson would do well at Freo/Hawthorn for a first rounder if they want go for another flag to replace McPharlin/Lake.

I love Lachy. But his performance on Saturday was abysmal. We tried to fukin hide him at CHF, that's how poor he was. Provided no support for Tarrant and whilst he was meant to be our loose, the opposing loose for GC ran amok (may have been Hall?)
I know Hansens a larrikan and he's funny but I seriously don't give a **** anymore who is a good bloke and who isn't. He should be dropped on Saturdays output.

All four would net us a first rounder each and I hope we trade agressively. Key word being hope. A prelim in 2014 is as good as this list has in them.
Need someone else to come in and revitalise the group for the clubs sake.
Problem is we don't play Hansen as a loose, he actually has an opponent most the time. Other teams are catching on. GC played that fast little Russell on him and he looked like Judd running around in the first quarter. We have to play him as the spare/loose back or put him on someone he is capable of minding.

You cannot trade Swallow. He's club captain presently.
Something like that would just rip the soul out of the place.
He should lose the captaincy though at seasons end as part of a rebuild and be accountable for his position like anyone else.
Atley I would keep. We are so desperate for run we just can't afford to let him go.
Would be interesting to see how he goes as a midfielder under a new coach.
Thompson is exactly the move we need to make. We would feel his departure initially, but that is the nature of a rebuild.
Freo or the Hawks would offer up their first pick for him which we could subsequently use on a class mid (much like the Hansen scenario I mentioned earlier).
Last year we used our first two picks on key backs. Sure they have both been injured, but in year two you should expect such high picks to be able to come in and start playing their role in a rebuilding side.
If Thompson and Hansen both go and things start getting wobbly, throw Drew back there to help out, which should be considered anyway to let our new forward line of Brown, Black and Wood (no triple towers) develop.

Normally I agree but this group of players appear to have no soul anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTron, I would consider Ziebell and Cunnington critical to the rebuild.

Ziebell I would play as a high forward who pinch hits in the middle. This will mean Dumont, possibly Garner have to play those minutes.

If it came down to a choice of the 3 it would be Swallow, but I think there is a role there for all 3 still.

These 3 are not the problem IMO, it's the lack of of outside balance around them. Wells and Greenwood are massive losses as they can win the ball inside and spread.

We need to replace these players.

This group ain't winning a flag. We need to chop at least a dozen senior players in the next two years to provide us with draft picks to push through under the current 26 and under players and we should be looking to trade or upgrade using these players where possible. This draft is light on, so we need to do what we can to get up the order this year. The only players in the senior group that are worth looking at for trade are Swallow, Wells and Thompson. Swallow would attract a first rounder, make no mistake. Geelong would kill for him. Wells and Thompson may get an early to mid second round draft pick for a club looking to win a flag, but that's it. Would we pull the trigger on these guys? Doubt it. But tough calls need to be made by someone.

So watch us trade Mullett, Basti, Black and Wood.

This group ain't winning a flag. We need to chop at least a dozen senior players in the next two years to provide us with draft picks to push through under the current 26 and under players and we should be looking to trade or upgrade using these players where possible. This draft is light on, so we need to do what we can to get up the order this year. The only players in the senior group that are worth looking at for trade are Swallow, Wells and Thompson. Swallow would attract a first rounder, make no mistake. Geelong would kill for him. Wells and Thompson may get an early to mid second round draft pick for a club looking to win a flag, but that's it. Would we pull the trigger on these guys? Doubt it. But tough calls need to be made by someone.

So watch us trade Mullett, Basti, Black and Wood.

Agree with all of this but i'd add Hansen(28, turning 29 next year) who would get us a decent pick.

Agree with all of this but i'd add Hansen(28, turning 29 next year) who would get us a decent pick.
Yeah, was thinking about him too.

We may need to take a two year dip down the ladder, expose Durdin and Neilsen to senior footy and bring in about 6-8 first and second round picks to flesh out the list for a reboot for 2019 - 2022.

It's s**t that I would even consider that, but here we are.

Yeah, was thinking about him too.

We may need to take a two year dip down the ladder, expose Durdin and Neilsen to senior footy and bring in about 6-8 first and second round picks to flesh out the list for a reboot for 2019 - 2022.

It's s**t that I would even consider that, but here we are.

A mini rebuild is what's required, there isn't a premiership in this list so the quicker we act to rectify the problems the better of we'll be.

In saying that some tinkering with the side we are playing now could improve things.

You've added an extra year to Lachie, he's almost 27. That aside, I agree. Lachie is probably one of our players I'd be willing to part with that would have a decent trade value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back