Fantasy Homer League 2015 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alright. I've created the League. You can inspect it for yourself at the following URL:http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/282424

To summarise, the league features the following:

1x QB
1x RB
1x WR
1x TE
1x RB/WR
1x WR/TE
1x PK
2x DB
2xLB
2xDL
5xBN

I've tried to approximate cut-throat scoring as much as possible, but Yahoo does their scoring system slightly differently to ESPN so it's not 100% equivalent.

As per GG's post here, the following outlines how teams will be selected:

Four divisions - East, North, South, West
Four people in each division
All four people take ownership of the eight teams in the AFC/NFC that corresponds with their Home League division (eg., players 1-4 in East take ownership of teams in the AFC and NFC East)

In order to nominate the division in which you wish to sit, it's on a first-come, first-served basis starting in 25 minutes (12pm AEST on Tuesday, 14 July 2015).

Those four people do a draft based on the players in their AFC/NFC division (eg., players 1-4 in Homer League East must draft players from AFC/NFC East only)

Waivers are based only on players available in the corresponding AFC/NFC dvisions (eg., players 1-4 in Homer League East may only claim waivers on players from AFC/NFC East)
Trades are based on the tradeaway concept in intra-divisional games
14 week schedule with weeks 15 and 16 for playoffs/championships. I'm not entirely sure how in Yahoo Fantasy Football I can set the schedule, but I want to adopt GG's approach of six divisional games and eight non-divisional games spread through the season.

I'll need to email invitations to join the league, so please PM me, Dixie Flatline, with your email addresses ASAP.

I'm not finished yet GG :)
In a way, it's not a bad strategy to fill an entire CT roster with ONE team's players. You only have to deal with one bye week, scoring 0 total, which would be a new record for lowest score. But then you're right as rein.

In a way, that would be a pretty interesting fantasy concept league. You have 32 people in a league, all taking on an NFL team, by name and by roster.

Maybe something Dixie Flatline and I can start on Yahoo this year?

Don't even have to have a draft, and labor thru it. Just get 32 people to join.

In a way, it's not a bad strategy to fill an entire CT roster with ONE team's players. You only have to deal with one bye week, scoring 0 total, which would be a new record for lowest score. But then you're right as rein.
I'll probably have cut most of them out of frustration before the bye week! :)

Why the hell would I want to do that and get the titans
Ok, how about this idea then...

You have 16 people in a league, and they all take on a division. AFC East players all belong to one person, etc. Again, no draft. Just 16 people join. That way you have 4 teams worth of players to choose from, to fill your roster and pick up on waivers.

Ok, how about this idea then...

You have 16 people in a league, and they all take on a division. AFC East players all belong to one person, etc. Again, no draft. Just 16 people join. That way you have 4 teams worth of players to choose from, to fill your roster and pick up on waivers.

Need to feed the fantasy urge and Empire won't cut it. Let's workshop this on a separate thread?

You could have two people per division.

That makes it reasonably fair. I think the starting point is that the rosters of the franchises are the original components of the rosters but can go outside the division if desired.

Rather than start a new brainstorm thread, better we nut it out here, then create the new thread for the new league with all the parameters of the set up known in the OP for people to just join.

I just reckon the idea of no draft is good. You can just sign 8, 16, people immediately. And they have a designated pool of players (either a team, or two teams) or to make it easier, a whole division, to themselves....that they cannot go outside that pool for waivers etc. Tho a downside to that is no trading would eventuate either. So maybe a little more thought is required exactly how to define it. But I do reckon the no draft part makes it easy to just get right into it, and having a designated team, or two teams in a division, or a whole division, would be a good starting point.

I'll leave this as Dixie Flatline 's baby, he'll be the GM, etc. Tho i'd hope he copy the CT scoring as it just makes offensive and defensive players valuable.

My view is that the league would probably need to be a keeper or dynasty league, so that it becomes (hopefully) a little easier to smooth out the transition from one participant gaining "ownership" a trainwreck of a roster (eg., the Raiders) compared to another participant gaining "ownership" of a roster aiming at the Super Bowl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about this....

2 people per division. They don't have two teams each, they BOTH compete for the pool of players in THAT division. When it comes to waivers, and starters.
So, for instance, me and Blacky are the AFC West teams. We can acquire players from the four teams in that division only. So we're fighting each other in waivers for those players.
So you have 16 people in a league. 8 people make up the league's division. Two people AFCE, Two AFCS, etc. And the other league division is 8 people...two from NFCE, etc.
What you could do is just open the league with 16 people, and starting NOW, they just start claiming players thru the waiver wire, with them only allowed to claim players from the NFL division they belong to. The league should get set up quickly then, the rosters filled up. Ready to start in a week or two.

Where is the skill?

I disagree with GG to the extent that I believe that there should be a draft or auction component to it.

In fact, I think that one way to allow players to pick teams is through a silent auction. Brainstorming it, it might be that each player has $1,000 to bid on teams. Player X places one bid of $550 on the Patriots, a bid of $350 on the Broncos and a bid of $100 on the Jets. Player Y places a bid of $423 on the Patriots, a bid of $450 on the Broncos and a bid of $127 on the Jets. Player X wins the bid for the Patriots and Player Y wins the bids for the Broncos and the Jets. Player X can build a roster with the Patriots players and Player Y can build a roster with a combination of the Broncos and Jets.

Anyway.....i'm just throwing ideas around here. I'll let Dixie Flatline masterplan it from there. Just food for thought from me. The CONCEPT being no draft, CT scoring, and owning players from a team/division thing. You build on it from there. The finer details, and making it more exciting and workable with trades etc etc.

I disagree with GG to the extent that I believe that there should be a draft or auction component to it.

In fact, I think that one way to allow players to pick teams is through a silent auction. Brainstorming it, it might be that each player has $1,000 to bid on teams. Player X places one bid of $550 on the Patriots, a bid of $350 on the Broncos and a bid of $100 on the Jets. Player Y places a bid of $423 on the Patriots, a bid of $450 on the Broncos and a bid of $127 on the Jets. Player X wins the bid for the Patriots and Player Y wins the bids for the Broncos and the Jets. Player X can build a roster with the Patriots players and Player Y can build a roster with a combination of the Broncos and Jets.
That sounds aweskme

As far as I can tell, no fantasy football provider will provide something that we're kicking around in here, so it'll require a spreadsheet and some brain power to make this work!

Here's a proposal I'm throwing out, based on what's already been posted. I'm not sure (at least I can't figure it out) that GG's proposal is workable, because it would be very difficult to fairly allocate divisions or teams within divisions, except on a first-come, first-served basis, and that doesn't seem too fair to me.

League comprises 16 players. Each player will assume responsibility for a roster that, at first instance, is comprised of players from up to two current teams.

In order for the players to select teams, they will be given $1,000 to spend on "buying" teams. There will be a blind bidding period lasting three days. I'd like to play, so either everyone accepts that I have a conflict of interest if I'm managing the bids on teams or we'll need a neutral person prepared to manage the bidding part.

At the end of the three day period, the bids are sorted and teams awarded. In the event of a tie on bids, then the first bid received will be the tiebreaker.

The roster would then be constructed from the teams won during the auction. Players not selected for a roster go into the free agency pool and can be claimed by anyone, subject to an auction process.

Given that no fantasy football provider could cater to this, the initial roster construction would need to be done manually by posting the roster in the relevant thread.

I give you the Homer League! :D

Comments, criticisms, suggestions all welcome.

As far as I can tell, no fantasy football provider will provide something that we're kicking around in here, so it'll require a spreadsheet and some brain power to make this work!

Here's a proposal I'm throwing out, based on what's already been posted. I'm not sure (at least I can't figure it out) that GG's proposal is workable, because it would be very difficult to fairly allocate divisions or teams within divisions, except on a first-come, first-served basis, and that doesn't seem too fair to me.

League comprises 16 players. Each player will assume responsibility for a roster that, at first instance, is comprised of players from up to two current teams.

In order for the players to select teams, they will be given $1,000 to spend on "buying" teams. There will be a blind bidding period lasting three days. I'd like to play, so either everyone accepts that I have a conflict of interest if I'm managing the bids on teams or we'll need a neutral person prepared to manage the bidding part.

At the end of the three day period, the bids are sorted and teams awarded. In the event of a tie on bids, then the first bid received will be the tiebreaker.

The roster would then be constructed from the teams won during the auction. Players not selected for a roster go into the free agency pool and can be claimed by anyone, subject to an auction process.

Given that no fantasy football provider could cater to this, the initial roster construction would need to be done manually by posting the roster in the relevant thread.

I give you the Homer League! :D

Comments, criticisms, suggestions all welcome.

Firstly, use Yahoo anyway. Time to use that site's fantasy for a change.
Secondly, it's not a big problem that sites don't specifically cater to the notion of "team/division owned" rosters. All the LM would have to do is just advise people in the OP settings the rules, that they're to only acquire players from the "team/division" they've won on bids etc, and LM just to keep an eye on the INITIAL roster make-up of all the 16 people. If anyone has strayed/erred, they are to correct it immediately.
Then, if we're doing waivers thru the season, same deal....LM advising people they can only claim players from the "team/division" they own, and other people in the league to just keep an eye out too.

Homer League, is a perfect unique name for it. Good job there.

Just please copy CT scoring :p

The proposed roster composition is based on what I've used in private leagues I've run over the past couple of seasons, plus a couple of tweaks (it's Cut Throat with a twist):

On offence -

2 QBs (1 starting, 1 on the bench)
1 RB
1 RB/WR
1 WR
1 WR/TE
1 TE

On defence -

either four defensive linemen and three linebackers or three linebackers and four defensive linemen (ie., you're either a 4-3 or a 3-4 team)
two CBs
two safeties

On special teams -

1 PK
1 PN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back