Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post what platform)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Alright alright alright, welcome to the 2023 JFL discussion thread. Welcome back everyone. Looking forward to another competitive season! We have 1 new face, so get around boncer34

First thing on the agenda for the new year is possibly moving to a new platform. A few guys have been calling for it so please vote in the poll for your preference. I'd want about 75% to agree on one before we do move though!

The second agenda is the elephant in the room. The pre draft cuts. The rule for the past 5 seasons has been for each team to cut enough players so that they have 6 open roster spots, regardless of draft picks available to them. This has been to ensure a healthy free agent pool, and to keep teams from hoarding too many players and keeping their rosters turning over, but also retaining their core squad year to year.
I've heard the frustrations from some managers regarding having to cut x amount of players but only having y amount of draft picks. A reasonable issue for some. However the cuts have always been a separate thing from the draft. We've had the opposite issue where teams have had 10 picks and then need to cut an additional 4 players before the start of the season.
Regardless, I said I'd open it up for a vote. So please write in here how'd you'd prefer to have things moving forward.

Option 1) keep as is
Option 2) Have to cut as many players as you have draft picks. Remember this goes both ways, so if you only have 4 draft picks, you only need to open up 4 spots. But if you have 8 picks, you will need to open up 8 spots. Another thing to remember is no-one will be on the IR list at the start of the season so those guys will counts towards your total roster size.

This is obviously going to be for next season onwards but I don't want there to be another blow up this time next season!

As always if there are any other issues you guys have/rules you want changed or tinkered with let me know and we'll put it up for discussion.

Can we have an option 3?

If you don't want to use picks you don't have to?
You can do that now. Several people have passed on their later picks if there is no one they want. But at worst you get a free agent for free, rather than having to use your faab budget for one later.

You can do that now. Several people have passed on their later picks if there is no one they want. But at worst you get a free agent for free, rather than having to use your faab budget for one later.
I must admit I'm confused then why you have to have the same number of picks as list spots. If I have 5 picks and only want to use 3 so open 3 spots so be it?

But I'm the new guy so I'll do whatever.

I must admit I'm confused then why you have to have the same number of picks as list spots. If I have 5 picks and only want to use 3 so open 3 spots so be it?

But I'm the new guy so I'll do whatever.
Mainly because these cuts are done in the days and weeks before the draft. I want teams to have their keepers set before we start the draft.
For example, if you lose a player to injury, or just change your mind about using a pick then it becomes unfair for other teams who could have had an extra player to choose from in the draft if you then decide to use a pick later on and have to cut someone else.
I guess if you did have 5 picks and only wanted to use 3 then those 2 final picks would be instantly void once all teams have made their cuts and set their keepers.
As is always the case, teams are always welcome to redraft a player they have cut.

The 6 open roster spots has been for ease of transition into the draft and the new season. If we change it (and I'm more than happy to) teams are then going to have to nominate exactly how many picks they will use (all/some/none) so that everyone has access to every player from the start of the draft. Happy to go down this path if it's what we want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's that
Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly

Sorry lads, been on holidays and a bit out of the loop didn’t realise we’d started. Give me 5 mins

Back