The Captaincy (Poll included)

Who should be captain of the EFC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to know how the board feels about the captaincy heading in to 2016.

My personal preference is that Jobe has done an extraordinary job, taking us through the worst period in our clubs history. He genuinely might be the best captain I have seen in my lifetime.

However I also believe the poor bloke has taken more than his fair share of the load, and if he plays on he should do so free of the pressures of captaincy.

If he does give the captaincy up, personally I think their is only one choice (Heppell). However I know a few others feel differently.

So what do you think we should do with the captaincy?

If Heppell taking over can prolong Watson's career by even an extra season I'm all for it. Heppell is an absolute gem and is more than capable of taking the limelight. Watson will still go about his business being the great leader we know him to be, just in a more private forum.

Heppell mah Neppell

Let Jobe worry about rehab, enjoying the game again and concentrate on playing good footy. Doise is good to go. :thumbsu:

It's Hep time. For Jobes own sake he needs to take a step back and just try and enjoy his footy again. He's done an outstanding job and it's a testiment to him that Hep is ready to take the reigns.

Whilst at the club Jobe will always be a leader, he's one of the best leaders of men I've seen in football, but he's done his time and someone else can take on the formal responsibilities of captaincy. Heppell is that person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heppell's actions on Saturday night confirmed he's matured enough to take on the captaincy and he speaks his mind publicly. I think Jobe will still be in the leadership group providing great support for a young captain along with Hurls, Myers, Hooker and BJ.

I'm actually sort of inclined to think Hurley or Hooker at this point.

Myers might have been in the equation, too, but his absence this year will have harmed his prospects you'd think.

Myers might have been in the equation, too, but his absence this year will have harmed his prospects you'd think.

I would have thought Hurley or Hooker for right now because they seem like they can lead through actions but also through their voice. I did think let them take it on and give it to Hep later but after his display on Saturday I was really impressed. Wasn't afraid to pull BJ up and didn't go into his shell at all after BJ gave him some lip back, he just kept giving orders and encouragement which says a lot*

Hurley is a real leader and I would love to see him take on such a role. Its a shame about Myers, but its a good sign that we have a few candidates with really strong leadership credentials.

* Side note I was really annoyed at BJ for that and I don't think I was the only one, Harvey looked like he could have killed him with the stare down he gave him. ITs why I don't think Goddard inspires people like a Jobe would and would never want him as a captain.

Watson for one more season (if he is playing), then Heppell after him.

I don't like to see young players destroyed by the responsibility of captaincy when rushed into it. Murphy really hasn't looked like it ever since taking it from Judd.

Cotchin also went down after taking the captaincy, but lifted again.

I just think he needs one more season under Watson and he is ready. Our club really like to rush things and it just hasn't worked for a while.

I don't like to see young players destroyed by the responsibility of captaincy when rushed into it. Murphy really hasn't looked like it ever since taking it from Judd.

Doing my best to take my 'I hate Carlton' glasses off, but Murphy didn't look like a leader before he took the job, and still doesn't. Heppell on the other hand does.

Jobe for 2016. I think he’d actually want to see the group through to the end of this s**t, and he deserves some non-ASAGA time at the helm.

Hepp’s not going anywhere and is next in line.

Footy captain isn’t like cricket. Once the ball is bounced the bloke with the title doesn’t do much different to other leaders and senior players. Heppell doesn’t need to change what he’s doing once Jobe is back.

Myers history with injuries will count him out too unfortunately. Can't have a captain who is always unavailable thru' injury. Real Shame. Clubman thru' and thru', speaks well and has stood up for the players during the whole ASADA process, being the Club's player representative to the AFLPA.

Myers history with injuries will count him out too unfortunately. Can't have a captain who is always unavailable thru' injury. Real Shame. Clubman thru' and thru', speaks well and has stood up for the players during the whole ASADA process, being the Club's player representative to the AFLPA.
Yep, suspect you're right.

Regardless, he's a leader around the club and that's what matters.

As soon as Jobe has mentioned that he got to a point where footy wasn't fun anymore, then that should be a signal to remove him somewhat from the spotlight. He's handled himself brilliantly through what has been a ****ed time for the club, but he has a young fella coming through that looks as ready as a guy can be.

Heppell is a 100-game player, handles himself well in the media and rarely misses a game, one point where Jobe unfortunately falls short in recent times. Jobe can still be on hand to help Dyson in his early days in the role.

Back