Preview R18 St Kilda v Port @ Adelaide Oval - Sunday 1:10 (Foxtel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blake has only played 2 games since recovering from his broken hand. Was really good week 1 and played a good 2nd half last week.

He obviously needs a few games back just to get back to some sort of match fitness.

There's absolutely nothing sinister in him not getting selected IMO.

With Roo out its a good chance to give Tom a run up forward & giving Billy a spell in the ruck. Hopefully he'll show he's got a few strings to his bow & increase his trade value

Blake is playing VFL in a glove because they are protecting the hand still too. Just isn't quite ready. He did a beautiful running goal on the week end and can't wait to see what he can do when he gets back into the seniors even if its next year.

I think, considering (anecdotally) that Longer's marking has been improving, that Billy may get a little bit of time forward this weekend. Having said that Richo seems to think Hickey has to make it as a forward (and he's right, otherwise he has to unseat "on-the-path-to-eventual-AA-spot-Billy"), so this week is another opportunity for him to do that. He was more that serviceable at Adelaide Oval last time.

Also on Paddy, his first two games without Riewoldt were with Bruce & Membrey, so it will be interesting to see how he goes and his role with Bruce and Hickey.

I really like Hickey. Think He is quite a smart player. He Definitely knows how to get to the right spots to mark the ball. Problem was in the last three games he played (after a promising first few) He just couldn't hold his marks at all and that was a substantial difference between serviceable games and being subbed off.

Wright is the long term replacement for Geary, isn't he? Although Geary's form is excellent, and he's only 27.

On the other hand, a wet day may suit him as his hardness will become more important that his disposal.

Wright is the long term replacement for Geary, isn't he? Although Geary's form is excellent, and he's only 27.

On the other hand, a wet day may suit him as his hardness will become more important that his disposal.

He's been playing well of late (in that Geary-type role), and (to your point) had a good game in the wet recently. Hudson's comments:

R11 "Nathan provided great run off half-back. His tackling was excellent and he played a really important role for us."

R12 "Nathan was slightly down offensively and didn’t get as much of the ball as he usually does. However, his defensive work was excellent again."

R13 "Nathan stepped up and had a good game in defence. His attack on the footy and ability to break the lines in wet conditions were valuable tools for us."

R14 "Nathan copped a poke to the left eye early in the second quarter and didn’t play for the rest of the game. He will be fine for this week but it was unfortunate that he couldn’t play out the match."

R15 "Nathan was good across half-back. He’s a very physical player and he put great pressure on the Richmond forwards on Saturday. Offensively he also contributed, registering five inside 50s."

Basically a clone. Backmen, good defender, tough as nails but couldn't hit the ocean if he was sitting in a boat. Ideally the Geary replacement won't have that problem.

Look at Geary and Webster. Both do a similar role but the emphasis on why they are picked may be different. Webster is an elite kick, and should be a superior player to Geary because he is tough also. But they may have Geary (and then Wright) in the side because sometimes you would have to sacrifice Webster's disposal by using him to go total shut down on an opponent. This way you still have Geary... or Wright.

Either way I don't think he plays on Sunday. But he's ahead of quite a few at the moment in a similar grouping (Saunders, Murdoch, Siposs, Markworth).

I think Moorabin Ghost said Wright was rated low because of disposal by the club but I think he also said Geary won't be needed long term. It might be the two are junked in a couple of years if he really is an insider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Moorabin Ghost said Wright was rated low because of disposal by the club but I think he also said Geary won't be needed long term. It might be the two are junked in a couple of years if he really is an insider.

I doubt the club would make such things public let alone make decisions on certain players years in advance.

I think from our own individual observations Geary is around for the longterm in a leadership capacity. He ain't going anywhere.

Wright is currently a fringe player, best 25ish, but that doesn't mean he remains there for ever.

Wright would be a gun if he could get the ball anywhere near the middle of his foot occasionally. Unfortunately that isn't the case and unless it improves he'll be a liability.

Last edited:
Honestly, this has a bit of the Carlton game feel to it. Exotic ground and a lot of important outs against a team that (at the time) was/is around our quality.

If this game was at Etihad and we had a full team, I'd say we'd be solid favourites. But with Roo out, along with a few others, and then add a couple of senior players going in sore like Armo and Schneids, it's not looking good. It looks even worse when we realise it's at Adelaide Oval.

I can see this getting ugly. Very very ugly. And just like the Carlton game in NZ, I will find that disappointing, a lost opportunity.

I still can't believe we lost to Carlton. Despite earlier results, PA no where near as bad. And some blokes are sore.

Having just had a win, two in a row would be great. But I really think our best chance on the run home is against Geelong in Round 21.

How can you fix Wright's kicking?
You can't basically. Look at Steven, Geary, Jones, Ray just from our club alone. None have improved even the slightest, if anything they've gone backwards.

Steven is a good luck on his right. Needs to learn how to use his left.

Teams have been able to stop Power going through the corridor this year which has stopped them being as dangerous this year as they have been in the past (amongst other reasons). This is why Lonie is a big loss as his frontal pressure allows our defense to set up behind play. Would have liked to see Saunders come in and try and play a similar role but I am guessing it will be down to Weller and Sinclair.

Dempster will need to keep up his form and patrol the back half of the ground for us. Would love to see D-Mac as well as he is an excellent mark of the ball.

Also looking forward to seeing how Paddy goes after his game next week.

Can't see us winning but should be a close game with Bruce kicking a bag.

I said that Wright's kicking is a liability (which it is). Geary has an important role to play over next few years with his leadership and hardness even though his kicking is horrible. If we are serious about being successful then we can't carry players who can't hit targets, but that's three years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back