Moved Thread Ryan Schoenmakers - is now a premiership winning forward and has a 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done last nite Ryan. Was a great contributor in a shitty game.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Really? Dont think he was necessarily poor but along with many didnt influence the game. Still drops marks he get his hands too which a good player would hold. Perhaps he has been watching Roughead too much.

Dropping marks like that is generally just following a coaching instruction to bring the ball to ground to a crumber. Given that we have three on the forward line I can see the rationale for this but it works better when the forwards are on the lead into space with a crumber is running past. Doing this in static marking situations near the goals last line just did not work as the tiger's defence just swept the ball up and ran it out.

Agree with both posts by Roger Rogerson and Ordivician.

Bringing the ball to ground for a runner in the manner of Martello to Mathews is a luxury this team cannot afford. Schoey ain't no Martello and as good as some of our players are none are in the same ball park as Mathews.

Just mark the bloody thing. Let the opposition try to bring the ball to ground. It is ridiculous all players in the contest are trying to do the same thing.

Dropping marks like that is generally just following a coaching instruction to bring the ball to ground to a crumber. Given that we have three on the forward line I can see the rationale for this but it works better when the forwards are on the lead into space with a crumber is running past. Doing this in static marking situations near the goals last line just did not work as the tiger's defence just swept the ball up and ran it out.
In the F50 it is clear we are told to bomb long and for the big fwds to bring it to ground for our crumbers (and to buy us time to set up behind the ball) but up on the wing is more of what i was referring to when Schoey has looked a million bucks in contests but failed to execute when a class player would.

The really good thing for us is that Schoey is one of few players in the side with a fair scope for improvement. The Burgoynes, Hodges, Mitchells etc have peaked (still at their peak but need to sustain it for 8 more weeks) and we know that we need to find another 3-4 players each year to keep improving and Schoey is showing signs. As for the other 3, Hartung is arguably one but then i am scratching my head abit. Chip clearly has scope for improvement but i am not convinced he is in our best side when Spang is fit. The only thing i keep coming back to with Chip is that in a big final he has the ability to nullify a top line forward but offensively he offers nothing and at this point is actually a negative. He has no confidence whatsoever.

Bringing the ball to ground for a runner in the manner of Martello to Mathews is a luxury this team cannot afford. Schoey ain't no Martello and as good as some of our players are none are in the same ball park as Mathews.

Just mark the bloody thing. Let the opposition try to bring the ball to ground. It is ridiculous all players in the contest are trying to do the same thing.

Martello was the worst kick for goal in hawthorn's history, If only Schoey could emulate him.

Martello was the worst kick for goal in hawthorn's history, If only Schoey could emulate him.

He did not have to kick for goal. He just palmed it to Mathews and he did the rest.

"Martello the worst kick for goal in Hawthorn's history". You are of course kidding. I haven't the time to list all those who were worse.

Hey maybe you are right. He did miss a few from 100 meters out.

Franklin?
"Martello the worst kick for goal in Hawthorn's history". You are of course kidding. I haven't the time to list all those who were worse.

He has the worst goal conversion per shot of any hawthorn player in history above 100 games.

By way of comparison,
Martello
164 goals 244 behinds. A goal conversion rate of 4.02 goals for every 10 shots.
Franklin
580 Goals 422 behinds. A goal conversion rate of 5.79 goals for every 10 shots.

He has the worst goal conversion per shot of any hawthorn player in history above 100 games.

By way of comparison,
Martello
164 goals 244 behinds. A goal conversion rate of 4.02 goals for every 10 shots.
Franklin
580 Goals 422 behinds. A goal conversion rate of 5.79 goals for every 10 shots.

Thanks for that, much appreciated:thumbsu: I don't mind being proved wrong after all I nearly always am. Where did you get the stats.

In defence of Martello and Franklin many of Martello's shots would have been from a long way out and Franklin's from impossible positions.

Just for interest where does Bomber Hendrie, Dutchy Holland, Kevin Heath and Peter Knights fit in the scheme of things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that, much appreciated:thumbsu: I don't mind being proved wrong after all I nearly always am. Where did you get the stats.

In defence of Martello and Franklin many of Martello's shots would have been from a long way out and Franklin's from impossible positions.

Just for interest where does Bomber Hendrie, Dutchy Holland, Kevin Heath and Peter Knights fit in the scheme of things.
Knights kicked 201 goals and 138 behinds. Which is 5.929 goals for every 10 shots
Hendrie kicked 254 goals and 271 behinds. Which is 4.838 goals for every 10 shots
Holland kicked 239 goals and 157 behinds. Which is 6.035 goals for every 10 shots
Heath kicked 43 goals and 39 behinds. Which is 5.244 goals for every 10 shots

Surely the coaching instruction is mark the bloody thing first, but if you can't mark it then don't let them !!

Surely the coaching instruction is mark the bloody thing first, but if you can't mark it then don't let them !!
You would hope so but doesn't seem to be the way we play.
Also interested to find out what changed with Buddy's marking when he left, I suspect we don't practice it enough as its not how we try to play

Excellent observation and comment. Couldn't have put it better myself. Couldn't believe I was watching the same side in action as the previous 3 weeks!

Really? Dont think he was necessarily poor but along with many didnt influence the game. Still drops marks he get his hands too which a good player would hold. Perhaps he has been watching Roughead too much.
Ye, it would be really good if Shoey could hold on to those attempted marks more often.

In the F50 it is clear we are told to bomb long and for the big fwds to bring it to ground for our crumbers (and to buy us time to set up behind the ball) but up on the wing is more of what i was referring to when Schoey has looked a million bucks in contests but failed to execute when a class player would.

The really good thing for us is that Schoey is one of few players in the side with a fair scope for improvement. The Burgoynes, Hodges, Mitchells etc have peaked (still at their peak but need to sustain it for 8 more weeks) and we know that we need to find another 3-4 players each year to keep improving and Schoey is showing signs. As for the other 3, Hartung is arguably one but then i am scratching my head abit. Chip clearly has scope for improvement but i am not convinced he is in our best side when Spang is fit. The only thing i keep coming back to with Chip is that in a big final he has the ability to nullify a top line forward but offensively he offers nothing and at this point is actually a negative. He has no confidence whatsoever.
Agree R.R. to the degree I would bring Hartung in on the wing to replace a seemingly out of salts Hill at present, and maybe give Hill the bench or sub job until he can find his form.

Competed well again last night when many others didn't.
Could have taken a few strong contested marks but couldn't quite hold onto the pill. His tackling is really good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back