Roast The Ugly v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch won his position, that's about it. Can't believe the OP singled out his disposal, it was fine today and he was our most dangerous forward all day.

Um did you not see the back to back kicks where he was at the 50 metre line and kick a ten metre kick along the ground? Auskick level.

Henderson - Ive been a critic of him as a defender but now I dont want to ever see him play for the Crows again. He is your ultimate example of a plodder. No intensity, lacks desperation, doesn't like body contact and generally going through the motions. The sooner Andy Otten comes in to replace this spud the better. In the mean time Kyle Cheney should be played instead of heartless Henderson. Trade/De-list

McKay - whilst I have largely stayed out of the debate on him he is another that I simply don't understand what he does or what he adds. Has some speed but gets pushed around like a rag doll. He's cooked. Trade

Wright - another that does not do anywhere near enough to warrant his continued selection. Is slow and as per McKay don't see what he offers, particularly long term. Another on that's cooked. De list.

Mitch Grigg, Sam Kerridge, Kyle Cheney, Cam Ellis Yoleman are better than McKay and Wright

Nobles' dribble about non-statistical stuff is just that...dribble. These three in particular should be on our not required list.

Tom Lynch needs to get his shit together, his dropped marks and disposal cost us early.

We have too many blokes that are not capable of consistently getting us and keeping us to the next level.

Hendo truly sucks. He was actually worse in the Gild Coast game, and a better team with depth would've dropped him for that performance but we actually kept him in the team.

Actually thought that was Laird's worst game for the year. Made some very easy fumbles and just never looked right.

Which is amazing considering how good and reliable he usually is. I couldn't believe it.

The chance of an otherwise rough but effective indicator for good players being valid for everything except this one window of time and then only for Scott Thompson, is extremely low.

Bottom line is , he hurts us, he's killing us with his slow pace, slow disposal, slow / lack of chase and his average 4/5 free kicks offered to the opposition per game.
We cannot have any forward thrust, cohesion or slick movement, not to mention defensive chase & tackling from this dinosoaur of the game & the more possessions & brownlow votes he knocks up the worse off we are as a team.
Get rid of him now along with Wright & Mckay, get BOB, CEY & Grigg in & we can fair dinkum take a crack at the finals & do some serious damage....a repeat of 97 is not out of the question.
If he plays on next year Danger def walks as he knows all hope for success at the club is lost, BOB, the kid of capable of taking this club to another level may also walk for fear of not getting games & another lost season.

Hendo truly sucks. He was actually worse in the Gild Coast game, and a better team with depth would've dropped him for that performance but we actually kept him in the team.

Correct.
That effort when the ball was kicked to the Swans goal area and he was by himself, he made no effort to mark the ball....what happens the ball bounces goes out of bounds and the Swans load up for another scoring opportunity. That ball should have been marked and worked out of defence, but oh no, heartless hendo plods along with no urgency.....F#@cking shits me watching lazy f#@ks like him playing in our team.

We have too many plodders getting games in the hope they may improve their output. Truth is their time is well and truly up and it's time they were cut from the squad. They aren't performing now and it's idiotic to think that will change when we need these guys to stand up in finals games, it just ain't gonna happen.

I member listening to Malthouse when he was at Collingwood. In two years he turned over their list considerably but I recall him saying that if players didn't perform when it mattered they were out. Blokes that couldn't perform when it mattered weren't going to win you premierships.

What do we do?

Last edited:
Bottom line is , he hurts us, he's killing us with his slow pace, slow disposal, slow / lack of chase and his average 4/5 free kicks offered to the opposition per game.
We cannot have any forward thrust, cohesion or slick movement, not to mention defensive chase & tackling from this dinosoaur of the game & the more possessions & brownlow votes he knocks up the worse off we are as a team.
Get rid of him now along with Wright & Mckay, get BOB, CEY & Grigg in & we can fair dinkum take a crack at the finals & do some serious damage....a repeat of 97 is not out of the question.
If he plays on next year Danger def walks as he knows all hope for success at the club is lost, BOB, the kid of capable of taking this club to another level may also walk for fear of not getting games & another lost season.

Healy this arvo had a term for the pressure area that is the stoppage and the value of the player getting it outside. This is where the stat watchers miss Thommo's weakness. The ball is mostly still in the pressure zone after he gives it off. It's simply because he gets the pill while being close to stationary and has no leg power get away from or to take on the tackler and get through enough to give to someone in space.

Put simply we don't stream forward out of stoppages, but our opponents sure do. And whether his fans like it or not, Thommo is a major reason for both occurrences. And of course that our midfield coach has proven incapable of doing anything about it.

And then we have our issue with our midfield defending oppositions transition out of our attack. Which, again is absolutely diabolical. Can't really blame Thommo though, he's normally deep forward at the stoppage or contest, so it's obviously not his job to be involved in that defensive press. His job is to jog back at leisure and meet the next centre bounce or the next stoppage he can amble to.

We can't use that as excuse forever they have a job to do I'm sure if a family member of mine died I'd be expected back to work in 3 weeks (I say that without any disrespect for Walsh what happened was a tragedy)

Yeah but do you love your boss? Just Saying.........It's a little different when you practically live with someone for a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the first couple of games, our spread from the midfield was so much better without him, as was our defensive harassment of the opposition. He is still a valuable inside player, but on the outside he is a liability.

It would be worthwhile having Thompson play M Wright role (but the statistically significant variety of forward pocket)...50% forward pocket, 50% midfield. He showed in the first Showdown how dangerous he can be in F50 stoppages with two snapped goals. Also, he does lift in the moment (example his last quarter against Carlton).

Rotate CEY, Thompson and M Crouch in the midfield with time on the HFF/Forward pocket.

Additionally, I think our midfield suffers from Thompson and Dangerfield both being attacking midfielders. Sloane and CEY are both better balanced in their attacking and defensive mindset/positioning, so the coaches need to start with a balanced midfield lineup.

e.g. Sloane, CEY, Danger (one pure inside mid, 2 inside/outside mids...2 balanced defensive mids and 1 offensive midfielder) or Sloane, CEY, Crouch. or Sloane, Smith, Crouch etc. No use having too many of the same type/mentality in the middle, Hawthorn are a good example of how they find balanced rotations of inside/outside, attacking/defensive players, even if it means sometimes using unexpected players in the middle.

Crouch junior is no faster than Thommo though.

Hendo is pathetic. Hartigan is clueless. Are there any FA defenders out there?

Hendo should be on a wing and Harto is fine. Our defence will improve significantly when our midfielders don't let opponents waltz through the centre square with zero pressure. Even so, Hartigan is rarely beaten at the moment and has eliminated those awful clangers.

If thats the case why did they even bother selecting him. Keep all the guys who mightbe suffering away from the others.

Lachie Henderson too, much better defender than forward.

I'd be a little bit relieved (emphasis on little) if the boys had a virus, but I sincerely hope they:

a) are well and truly over it by Friday, and

b) coughed and sneezed all over the AFL's golden children while they had the chance.

Um did you not see the back to back kicks where he was at the 50 metre line and kick a ten metre kick along the ground? Auskick level.
Not to mention his second efforts - absolutely deplorable. His work rate defensively is one of the worst I've seen. I get visibly upset when I look at him and think "this is Jack Gunston's replacement."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back