Official Club Stuff Jay Schulz staying at Port - Officially announced

Remove this Banner Ad

2+1
With the one being on the condition that he plays at least 15 games in both years and a total combination of 35

Cheap though wouldn't often much $$ especially for the third year

well hes going to get one more shot, id be surprised if Freo dont get into the GF with 2 games in Perth
If they win both

Hawks over there will be tough if it happens
Or if WCE drop their first game and have a derby prelim

This is where Port Adelaide used to annihilate it's competition. When it came to players moving in and out somehow Port would always come out on top.

If the net gain is something like Schulz out, Dixon in, then thank Jay for his services, wish him luck, say he is always welcome and is a legend of the club and ... peel the letters off his locker and buy him a one way flight to Perth.

Harsh, but if Port are going to win a flag in 2017, 2018, 2019 and beyond, Jay will not play a major part - if at all.

I'm with Scooter. It could be a win win. Jay wins more money and Freeo get a stop gap reliable forward.

Port win by bringing in a longer term forward with potential upside.

Lol. Lyon is going to leave that place in worse shape than Williams left Port.

Maybe even worse shape than he left St Kilda. The position they are in now is a credit to how quickly Watters and then Richardson identified the problem and began solving it by moving on older players and moving in younger ones.

Lyon has been at Freo for four years now and only debuted two players who have turned out to be anything more than stop gaps - Lee Spurr (mature age recruit from the SANFL) and Lachie Neale. They need to win a flag and fast.

Yeah basically I could only stomach shultz leaving if we got another starting key forward in that's around the 25 age mark because Shultz is very valuable to us. A good grab and a dead eye are excellent attributes for any key forward.

Maybe even worse shape than he left St Kilda. The position they are in now is a credit to how quickly Watters and then Richardson identified the problem and began solving it by moving on older players and moving in younger ones.

Lyon has been at Freo for four years now and only debuted two players who have turned out to be anything more than stop gaps - Lee Spurr (mature age recruit from the SANFL) and Lachie Neale. They need to win a flag and fast.

Ill take a coach that gets me to the grand final anyday over wanna be's. Lyon is still in the top 3 coachs in the AFL. This year has only cemented that fact, everybody thought they would be lucky to make the finals

Ill take a coach that gets me to the grand final anyday over wanna be's. Lyon is still in the top 3 coachs in the AFL. This year has only cemented that fact, everybody thought they would be lucky to make the finals

Lyon is a good coach but has shown no capacity whatsoever to develop individual players or teams from the ground up. Both of his coaching assignments have been 'finishing' jobs after others have done the hard yards for him. Attempting to squeeze another year or two out of Schulz rather than going after say Mason Shaw or Aaron Black would be classic Lyon.

Last edited:

No they didn't. They started the year as a clear top 4 fancy.

Lyon is a good coach but has shown no capacity whatsoever to develop individuals players or teams from the ground up. Both of his coaching assignments have been 'finishing' jobs after others have done the hard yards for him. Attempting to squeeze another year or two out of Schulz rather than going after say Mason Shaw or Aaron Black would be classic Lyon.

since Ross has been at Freo he has developed, Neale, Fyfe, Walters, Crozier, Tabbner, , Zac Clarke, Mzungu & Ballantyne. All were far less players before Lyon took over

If Lyon was appointed coach of a developing team i bet he would get them off the ground much quicker than any other coach

since Ross has been at Freo he has developed, Neale, Fyfe, Walters, Crozier, Tabbner, , Zac Clarke, Mzungu & Ballantyne. All were far less players before Lyon took over

Neale I've already given him.

Fyfe and Ballantyne were already very good players before he got there and have only really followed through with their natural rate of improvement.

Taberner, Clarke, Crozier and Mzungu are all in and out of the team.

Walters is a guy with amazing talent who has flourished in a more disciplined environment under Lyon, so I'll give you that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Suban, Lee Spurr, Clancee Pearce, Chris Mayne, Michael Johnson, Matt de Boer are others who have relished playing under Lyon.

I agree he is a finisher as opposed to a developer, but he's done a bit of both at Freo compared to what he did at St Kilda

I don't think anyone's questioning Lyon's ability to coach or squeeze the best football out of certain players. I'm personally saying that when he leaves Freo they won't be set up well for future success. He was brought in to put the finishing touches to a list, and if a premiership fails to materialise you'd really have to wonder whether it was worth them throwing all their eggs in that basket.

Yeah basically I could only stomach shultz leaving if we got another starting key forward in that's around the 25 age mark because Shultz is very valuable to us. A good grab and a dead eye are excellent attributes for any key forward.

*Schulz #oohmebloodpressure

My 5 year old son will be shattered on this only please stay sarge lol

He needs to seriously consider where his kids will go to school. If he plans to stay 2-3 years in Perth then return to Adelaide, then it would be wise of him to stay here. Adelaide's a small town and going off to chase the dollar will bite him when he comes back.

If he plans to move to Perth long term then good luck to him.

He needs to seriously consider where his kids will go to school. If he plans to stay 2-3 years in Perth then return to Adelaide, then it would be wise of him to stay here. Adelaide's a small town and going off to chase the dollar will bite him when he comes back.

If he plans to move to Perth long term then good luck to him.

Hope there's no FIFO workers in Adelaide then. Riot in the streets.

who could we realistically trade for Schulz from Freo?

Jack Hannath (ruckman who's played up forward at Peel, ex-Central District) and a second or third rounder for Schulz and a second or third rounder? He wouldn't cost us much, only played 17 games in three seasons, and only two this year. We'd have room for him in the salary cap too, Freo are overstocked with talls.

who could we realistically trade for Schulz from Freo?

Jack Hannath (ruckman who's played up forward at Peel, ex-Central District) and a second or third rounder for Schulz and a second or third rounder? He wouldn't cost us much, only played 17 games in three seasons, and only two this year. We'd have room for him in the salary cap too, Freo are overstocked with talls.

I think we may lose him for nothing if he does go.

you can't be thinking of winning the flag before 2020 but also trading out one of our best key positions. we need dixon AND schulz not just a fifa trade.

This is where Port Adelaide used to annihilate it's competition. When it came to players moving in and out somehow Port would always come out on top.

If the net gain is something like Schulz out, Dixon in, then thank Jay for his services, wish him luck, say he is always welcome and is a legend of the club and ... peel the letters off his locker and buy him a one way flight to Perth.

Harsh, but if Port are going to win a flag in 2017, 2018, 2019 and beyond, Jay will not play a major part - if at all.
Mate if we land Dixon and keep this years 1st pick, which should be 7-9, then we'll be laughing. Dixon for Schulz at this stage of Dixons career and Schulz's career would be a huge win for us.

You're spot on, we need to fill that key forward hole for our window which is only really starting now. So having a key forward that'll be peaking through that phase, who can bust packs open and be a real presence would be huge.

We still have midfield holes which is why we need this years 1st pick, but to get Dixon would be massive.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...e-his-own-future/story-fndv8s6g-1227471040726

HAMISH Hartlett says the Port Adelaide players will not try to talk ace forward Jay Schulz into staying at Alberton, despite the possibility his departure could rob the Power of a chance to win a premiership.

“I’d love him to stay and I know the footy club and all our players are keen for Schulzy to stay and we hope that happens. But all contract talks with Schulzy are left between him, his management and the club so the boys don’t speculate about it at all. We read things and hear things from time to time but it’s not a discussion we have with Schulzy.’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back