Supporter behaviour. What's acceptable?

Remove this Banner Ad

I broke two chairs and flipped over a bin on the concourse after a match a few years back.

Seeing it was in that match against Adelaide when we were 30 up with 5 to go and lost, I think it was acceptable.

Last edited:
I go with 3 kids, and 90% of the time the behaviour is fine around our reserved seats. Sometimes get non regulars sitting in the surrounding reserved seats who will use the F word all match long, even in normal conversation. It irritates me as they are clearly aware there are young kids sitting around them.

I have two pet hates, those that constantly berate our own players, especially if they seem to have a particular target, we have changed seats at Blundstone this year, but I would love to go back to the old seat just to have another discussion with the nuffy in front of us about his opinion of Sammy Wright.
The other peeve is people who go to the footy to catch up socially during the game, I really don't give a shit what everyone thinks of Michelle's decision to start dating again so soon after her breakup with Stuart - it's round 1 v * and I've spent a fair packet on tickets, air fares, hotel rooms, etc. and we are playing like crap and I'm getting more and more frustrated, just shut up you theatre going, self important, * supporting twits.

Apart from that, I love the banter, tend to be a bit louder than I realise sometimes , very occasionally I will swear (then apologise:oops:). I'm fairly biased, but will acknowledge a particularly good kick or mark by the opposition or an obvious free against us.
Reads like an evening at the Gabba. **** me, the amount of people who stood up, backs to the game was unbelievable when I last went there.

Take your social gathering to a cafe or save it until after the match.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The other peeve is people who go to the footy to catch up socially during the game, I really don't give a shit what everyone thinks of Michelle's decision to start dating again so soon after her breakup with Stuart - it's round 1 v * and I've spent a fair packet on tickets, air fares, hotel rooms, etc. and we are playing like crap and I'm getting more and more frustrated, just shut up you theatre going, self important, * supporting twits.
Gutsy call by Michelle moving on so soon after breaking up with Stu. #sobrave

I cannot stand supporters who bag their own players, especially because it seems they know SFA about the game.

I used to sit in front of a couple, maybe Scottish or something, who would get stuck into our players on a regular basis. They'd bag players like Lachie Hansen even if he was having a good game. Made me want to turn around and pot them in the face.

Not a fan of swearing though I often utter under my breath. It's more of a standing room thing IMO... don't really want to drop C bombs in ear shot of the MD! :D

Gutsy call by Michelle moving on so soon after breaking up with Stu. #sobrave

Not the opinion her "friends" were expressing

I haven't seen her on these boards for ages... how's she doing?

Oh, sorry i thought they were talking about this Michelle....

F8PAY.gif

West Aussie AFL crowds, particularly West Coast, are odd, they boo everything and they clap everytime one of their players scratches himself.
The worst I had was when North beat West Coast by 70+
A long time ago (Wayne,Sav and Byron were playing)
Peter Matera got the ball close to goal,then his world rotated and went dark courtesy of Byron
A very smartassed WA ROO applauded and cheered
Lucky to get out of the ground without being stabbed
Nasty comments,being told to f***off back to Victoria.Threats of violence etc

Peter Matera got the ball close to goal,then his world rotated and went dark courtesy of Byron
Sydney swans fans are the tamest and collingwood the worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done mate!!!
How good was Choppy at his best?

I don't really have an issue with people calling out, as long as they're not doing it so much they're being a nuisance and impacting on other people watching the game.

What I do have an issue with is people grumbling and yelling out when they have clearly no clue what they are talking about.

Went to the Pies vs West Coast game for example with some friends and was unlucky enough to be sat with a couple from WA over to see their eagles in melbourne. The absolute shit that dripped from the mouth of that woman I'll never forget. Kind of supporter who just complains constantly throughout the game "Just bloody kick it! For ****s sake kick it! Oh why did you kick it then you didn't have anyone free!" "You're bloody useless Priddis get in there and lay a tackle!" (while Priddis is 100m away). "This isn't handball its FOOT ball KICK the bloody thing!"

Or last year at Bellerive, drunk bogan behind me who every 3 minutes proclaimed "****ING UMPIRES! SHOULD OF GONE TO SPEC SAVERS!" even during general play where there was no decision to be made.

All the people that sit at the front of Aisle 34 have been around for a while so we're all comfortable with each other.

There is one guy that goes absolutely off tap a few rows back.

Loudest voice I have ever heard.

I know exactly who you're talking about.

He can go from 0-100 very quickly. And nothing wrong with it.

Uh oh.

Those who went to '98, how did you carry on?

All the therapy to forget...

First half a lot of exasperated but still hopeful noise. Second half increasingly quiet and shell shocked. Followed by tears and several hours curled up in foetal position while my (of course) ex said it was only a game. Didn't speak for ages.

Those who went to '98, how did you carry on?

It didn't happen. Not sure what you're on about TBH.

I cannot stand supporters who bag their own players, especially because it seems they know SFA about the game.

I've recounted this here before but once a North supporter I hardly knew asked if we had a spare seat as he was on his own and it just so happened that we did that day. Normally I'd say no as it's handy to have a spare seat to put your crap on, especially when you have kids.

Anyway, first quarter and LT fluffs a mark and this bloke completely loses his head, screaming out red faced at the top of his lungs "F*** LINDSAY WHY DON'T YOU F*** OFF AND DIE YOU USELESS C**T!" in an area on level 2 which was very much a family area.

I couldn't tell him "You can't say that. Fair dinkum, how about you f*** off yourself mate? Seriously, piss off" fast enough, which he duly did.

Some of our own are the worst I'm afraid.

I heard plenty of that from behind us on the weekend during the first quarter.

As for behaviour, I'm vocal and 100% fixed on every moment within the game, expressing all manner of emotions loudly throughout. In my earlier years I'd go completely off tap but I'd always be mindful of those around me when women and children are concerned, and would self swear filter in the process.

These days with my folks, missus Toes plus our son and daughter alongside us I'm more likely to ask a nutter to kindly tone down the language if he/she feels compelled to yell the F and C's at every opportunity unabated but it's a rarity rather than a common need.

Like Tas I wear radio headphones turned up to mask the subtle crap which could get my back up from opposition supporters but there are some games where even that safety net fails and I find myself engaging the oppo. I never start it and don't care a jot that they're barracking as hard as I am but will not back down one iota when one or more of them turn their attention from the events on field to us supporting North. Richmond and * fans are notorious for it. Flogs!
Richmond are the absolute pits when it comes to supporters. For some reason they assume every opposition player is a spud and it's ok to abuse and bait the supporters as well and do so like a stuck record. Usually happens when they are copping it on the scoreboard too, which kust adds to my bemusement. Tha last time they were relevant, KB had hair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back