Supporter behaviour. What's acceptable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are the absolute pits when it comes to supporters. For some reason they assume every opposition player is a spud and it's ok to abuse and bait the supporters as well and do so like a stuck record. Usually happens when they are copping it on the scoreboard too, which kust adds to my bemusement. Tha last time they were relevant, KB had hair.

The odd season when they're up and about you just know how the odd flog in the crowd will be too. Unlike other opposition crowds who respect that each supporter group is just supporting their own side the Richflogs see it as an 80's English soccer game where you're there to take on the opposition crowd off pitch as much as on. "BALLLLLLLLLLLLL" you shout as Dusty is collared by a North player and "OH GET F***ED C***" comes back from some middle aged Tiger fan in a Jimmy Jess lace up jumper. They're shockers!

Those who went to '98, how did you carry on?
Went to 98 and was 12 at the time - Standing room, Southern stand behind the goals behind a bay of Crows supporters. I can't remember who kicked the goal but it was one of the sealers, could have been Jarman. Anyway a few S.A louts were on the beers all day and turned around and got his fist right in my old mans face rubbing it in. I've never seen my dad that red in the face, pushed the bloke who then fell back into the seats and his beer went all over the shop haha.

one of the few times I have had to move was versus St Kilda at Etihad when they were flying under Ross Lyon. I had expected a couple of mates to come but they bailed at the last minute so I sat by myself in an empty section level 3. A fat Saints supporter walks in with empty seats everywhere and sits directly behind me and proceeded to be a loud mouth prick bagging all our players, club etc as they stormed to a pretty big half time lead. I cracked it and took the opportunity to use the break to go to the other end of the ground, The second half against the odds the boys came back and over ran them, a great victory but I was kicking myself that I wasn't in the same seat to turn around and stick it up the turd behind me. The Saints supporters have bugged me more than most over the years.

At the ground, I was fine

Walking out I had an Adidas hoodie on. I zipped it right up, put the hood up over my head and proceeded to cry and whale.

From Jolimont to Clifton Hill. I then cried on the connecting bus. I got home, stripped off (?) got into bed and cried for the l next 4 hours.

I took it like a man.

I felt incredibly sick in the guts at half time as though I knew a storm was approaching. And it was! I watched the second half in resigned silence. Then I went home and tried to sleep. It was so draining.

Like the 94 prelim it is a game I will never forget and never watch again.

Walking out I had an Adidas hoodie on. I zipped it right up, put the hood up over my head and proceeded to cry and whale.

From Jolimont to Clifton Hill. I then cried on the connecting bus. I got home, stripped off (?) got into bed and cried for the l next 4 hours.

I took it like a man.

On the way out of the ground and just to add to our misery, we got violently heckled by celebrating Adelaide supporters. How pathetic was that?

There was a guy down the front of level 2 around aisle 33/34 last Sunday that went off his head for about a minute and a half. No idea what that was about. I try to behave although am guilty of the odd shameful explosion at times. Generally speaking I work off the following guidelines:
- Loud comments are not to be of a sustained manner
- Avoid foul language in particular when kids are about
- If comments are loud enough for everyone to hear it is incumbent on the person to attempt to make them as funny as possible.

The latter is the most important and when it goes well is great fun. Have sat at games over the years where there has been great interplay between opposition and ourselves, it is one of the great things about the game when it goes well. I had a group of 4-5 mid to late 20's Tiger blokes behind us at a game at the MCG 5-6 years back. They were full of beans for most of the game and gave and got insults left right and centre. When we kicked away in the later part of the game they sucked it up and when it was over there was a wry grin and well done. I admire that.

I drank until I blacked out.

What was worse was the next day, hungover at the airport (flying to Sydney) with all the smug crows campaigners still decked out in their gear

Since you mentioned '98 - the weirdest thing happened. I was watching from my place in the bush in Northern NSW. Still live here. At half time a literal murder of crows - about thirty of the #@$%s - landed by the lounge room window and proceeded to carry on like all they were annoying oppostion supporters. Squarking and cawing and making a real racket. I went out and tried to chase then scare them away. (Missus wouldn't let me actually shoot them tho, crows are her favorite bird.)

From the moment they landed I had a horrible sick feeling that got worse and worse all day.

It was uncanny, like they knew what was gonna happen and wanted to rub it in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since you mentioned '98 - the weirdest thing happened. I was watching from my place in the bush in Northern NSW. Still live here. At half time a literal murder of crows - about thirty of the #@$%s - landed by the lounge room window and proceeded to carry on like all they were annoying oppostion supporters. Squarking and cawing and making a real racket. I went out and tried to chase then scare them away. (Missus wouldn't let me actually shoot them tho, crows are her favorite bird.)

From the moment they landed I had a horrible sick feeling that got worse and worse all day.

It was uncanny, like they knew what was gonna happen and wanted to rub it in.
C***s

I sit next to Zondor (in his current state), Big DF and cereal part-time poster Onip. They're top blokes.
We often try to get the Mexican Wave going at Etihad and when we beat a top 8 side, Zondor usually gets the NM club song going down the ramps out of Etihad. You couldn't hear a pen drop when he starts chanting.

I drank until I blacked out.

What was worse was the next day, hungover at the airport (flying to Sydney) with all the smug crows campaigners still decked out in their gear

Yeah same here. Sat and drank cans at Arden St leaning against a bin. I woke up in some bushes outside the NM baths.

There was a guy down the front of level 2 around aisle 33/34 last Sunday that went off his head for about a minute and a half.

He was giving the umps a good solid bake. He sits next to a bloke who has memorised every rule backwards in Swahili. When a rule is contravened, he will explode and read the rule as loud as possible, in its entirety.

Its great listening. Then the halftime siren and he turns into doting Dad.

Its great listening.

I took it like a man.
That is the very first time I have read/heard a 98 GF story and actually laughed!

Thanks Uncle, I think I'm ready to move on now

Unlike in '96 and '99 when I'm sure many drunken North blokes woke up alongside some bush in a bedroom in some unknown location.

I woke up after 96, fully clothed with a can of VB in my jacket pocket.

99 I paced myself so I could stay on the drink the following few days.

Nowadays I'd be tucked away in bed with a cup of milo.:eek:

one of the few times I have had to move was versus St Kilda at Etihad when they were flying under Ross Lyon. I had expected a couple of mates to come but they bailed at the last minute so I sat by myself in an empty section level 3. A fat Saints supporter walks in with empty seats everywhere and sits directly behind me and proceeded to be a loud mouth prick bagging all our players, club etc as they stormed to a pretty big half time lead. I cracked it and took the opportunity to use the break to go to the other end of the ground, The second half against the odds the boys came back and over ran them, a great victory but I was kicking myself that I wasn't in the same seat to turn around and stick it up the turd behind me. The Saints supporters have bugged me more than most over the years.
Over the years I've always found Saints supporters the worst overall.

The main problem being, and this is from sitting/standing at many different grounds in many different spots, is that they have been so ingrained with misery for just so damn long, that once they realise they are not going to win a game, they will make damn sure no-one else around them can enjoy the day either.

I have encountered this over and over and over again against this mob.

Over the years I've always found Saints supporters the worst overall.

The main problem being, and this is from sitting/standing at many different grounds in many different spots, is that they have been so ingrained with misery for just so damn long, that once they realise they are not going to win a game, they will make damn sure no-one else around them can enjoy the day either.

I have encountered this over and over and over again against this mob.

Yep. Saints bad.

Essendon awful. 15 year old girls screaming in your ear every time one of their players even looks like winning the ball. Carlton - ego. Richmond are hit and miss for me, some of the absolute worst and some of the funniest IMHO. Collingwood have their share of ferals but for the most part I reckon they're now harmless, I mean they'll tie their shoelaces together when leaving for the day but usually only hurt themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back