Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Was thinking something like this as well.

Would love Worsfold for two/three years as head coach with Caracella senior assistant/head coach in waiting.

Then Worsfold can step aside some in two/three years to a Director of Coaching/Development role.
I'm not necessarily saying Worsfold particularly though, just someone with experience and a proven record. So that would be no to Ayers, Laidley and the like.

Just get a head coach with enough ability and desire to take 100% responsability for the performance of the team - that's it.

All this succession crap is just inbuilt failure.

Imagine waiting for Sheeds or Alex Ferguson to move on or - as hard as it is to say - Clarkson?

If coaches succeed they stay on, if they fail you get a new one.

'Succession crap' is actually about building in success. Words are funny hey.

Like I said before, someone like Woosha is much more suited at Adelaide than Essendon. Last thing we need is a coach who is trying to make up his mind about coaching, considering the current state of the club.

Just get a head coach with enough ability and desire to take 100% responsability for the performance of the team - that's it.

All this succession crap is just inbuilt failure.

Imagine waiting for Sheeds or Alex Ferguson to move on or - as hard as it is to say - Clarkson?

If coaches succeed they stay on, if they fail you get a new one.
Rather than retirement, being sacked or moving on I've always thought Clarkson's career would end by him running afoul of the law. That'd be my prediction.

I don't want Woosha for game evolution reasons but I reckon Little is going to origami him in...

I have been trying to find a post from a few weeks back that actually first mentioned it as deal done...

I'm not big on getting a recycled coach. Couldn't be that good to start with if he has been sacked.
I'd rather an assistant from a successful modern day team. Our search should be narrowed to coaches from Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle
Also look at coaches from teams that have rebuilt successfully! ie Bulldogs, St Kilda

Almost every experienced coach has been sacked at some point. It's a nonsense argument. In fact the AFL is one of the few sporting competition where having coaching experience seems to be a black mark against your name in comparison to the pristine reputation of an AFL assistant.

I don't want a coach changing his mind because of money like Roos, he needs the passion for it.
Couldn't agree more. Blight to St Kilda for a sack of $$$$$$$ was dreadful for the Saints. The coach has to be there for 100% the right reasons. This is such an important appointment for Essendon, going forward. Hope you get the right coach for your situation.

Read the article. All people who have already coached AFL sides will be given the accreditation. And it was written earlier in the year. The future is now.

Where does the article state you have to appoint an accredited coach ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we suddenly have an obsession about taking other club's sloppy seconds? Cooney, Chapman, Neeld, Craig, and now Worsfold...

Will be seriously disappointed if we actually appoint Worsfold as senior coach. We need an enthused, fresh face leading the club, not a tried and failed coach who may not be 100% committed or ready to take the reigns again. There are plenty of good assistant coaches going around right now who are desperate for a senior gig and we're looking at selecting a guy who resigned only 2 years ago because he couldn't get the best out of his group.

Considering N.Daniher is helping the selection process + EFC went to the AFL and asked about approaching assistants during the finals series, I'd say we'd be going around and searching.

EFC have to be VERY careful with the selection process - We have wasted the time of many fine people in recent years - Club wants Worsfold then appoint him - Stop the selection process.

Why do we suddenly have an obsession about taking other club's sloppy seconds? Cooney, Chapman, Neeld, Craig, and no Worsfold...

Will be seriously disappointed if we actually appoint Worsfold as senior coach. We need an enthused, fresh face leading the club, not a tried and failed coach who may not be 100% committed or ready to take the reigns again. There are plenty of good assistant coaches going around right now who are desperate for a senior gig and we're looking at selecting a guy who resigned only 2 years ago because he couldn't get the best out of his group.
What's your issue with Neeld? Most coaches get their gig because they're bloody good assistants and interview well, so I don't see the harm in employing younger former coaches as assistants. Neeld has shown development in quite a few young players this season at VFL level at the very least so I'm happy for him to continue in the job that he's doing if he maintains similar standards.

"It is understood the majority of past senior coaches who have remained active in the industry will be awarded the level four accreditation. As a result, all applicants were assistant coaches who were yet to coach their own team at AFL level."

YES - But it limits you to the 9 coaches doing their accreditation this year ( less Bolton ) and past senior coaches - Considering there around 120/130 Assistant coaches in the AFL and you can only choose from 20 - Its unworkable for the next five years when you get more coaches through accreditation.

Where has it worked? Longmire? where else?
Who else has employed it where it has been given the opportunity to work?

I would have thought there have been more failures using the old model you've proposed. The succession model exposes the incumbent to practices and strategies that have high achieving demonstrable outcomes and allows them to tie these in with other successful practices and strategies they have seen and been a part of. They have the benefit of exposure and close, inside knowledge from working with a mentor. The players get structure and stability over a long term, which is what our players need.

It's pretty easy to throw stones mate.

Last edited:
We need a visionary like Cook at the top... His Open Mike interview was awesome... Both him and Bomber keep saying the same thing, everyone on the same page or don't bother... I don't think we have had that unity since before Sheeds go tapped...

What's your issue with Neeld? Most coaches get their gig because they're bloody good assistants and interview well, so I don't see the harm in employing younger former coaches as assistants. Neeld has shown development in quite a few young players this season at VFL level at the very least so I'm happy for him to continue in the job that he's doing if he maintains similar standards.
Don't really have a problem with Neeld but he's just another example of us looking at recycling coaches and players instead of going for fresh faces with upside and potential.

By the start of next season our club will be emerging from the worst period in its history off-field and, very arguably, on-field. 2016 will hopefully be the start of the new Essendon era brought on by massive changes within the club, and I'd like our figurehead to be someone new and 'youthful', not another has-been or Essendon person.

Woosha may still be a good coach but I'd rather a younger leader (in coaching terms, not so much age) who can grow and develop with the group, and doesn't come with the baggage that Woosha might.

What do people make about this blokes twitter account? Is he someone from BF, or is he just a known delusional fan? https://twitter.com/MaguidhirP

Didn't know where to post this... but the reason I'm asking is because of the comments regarding Hird coaching next season if members wanted and that "new board would appoint hird for 2016"

Lol. Pains me to read that timeline.

In regards to neeld.. I've been impressed with the development of a few young kids this year IE Daniher, Zach Merret, McKenna and Laverde..... I'm happy with the job he's done. He didn't get a good reputation with development before joining Melb for nothing..

Don't really have a problem with Neeld but he's just another example of us looking at recycling coaches and players instead of going for fresh faces with upside and potential.

By the start of next season our club will be emerging from the worst period in its history off-field and, very arguably, on-field. 2016 will hopefully be the start of the new Essendon era emerging from massive changes within the club, and I'd like our figurehead to be someone new and 'youthful', not another has-been or Essendon person.

Woosha may still be a good coach but I'd rather a younger leader (in coaching terms, not so much age) who can grow and develop with the group, and doesn't come with the baggage that Woosha might.
Eh, fair enough. I honestly don't care who the coaches are as long as they do their job well. I back Neeld because he currently is doing that.

Woosha would prefer Adelaide to live I think ..similar to,Perth

I think he might stay on as coach advisory role .....Essendon needs to hard if they want him

Why do we suddenly have an obsession about taking other club's sloppy seconds? Cooney, Chapman, Neeld, Craig, and now Worsfold...

Worsfold failed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back