Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now, let's not go overboard. I think they would both be lying if they put journalist down as their career on their tax return. It's just a question of which is the bigger scumbag really.

There is bad blood between the two and stems from when Barrett applied for the Head sports writer for the Hun...Thought he had it in the bag with his private school upbringing believed he had enough to be head and shoulders above his opposition.. Was beaten for the gig by Robbo....Barrett is an ungracious loser, pretty well up and left to croc media...never congratulated Robbo on the appointment.. For all the airs and graces he trys to put on, he will always be remembered by me, as the bloke who was beaten by Robbo the entertaining, knock about, beer swilling sort of bloke... who struggles at times to put two words together...Think that pretty well sums up who is the biggest scumbag.

Last edited:

There is bad blood between the two and stems from when Barrett applied for the Head sports writer for the Hun...Thought he had it in the bag with his private school upbringing believed he had enough to be head and shoulders above his opposition.. Was beaten for the gig by Robbo....Barrett is an ungracious loser, pretty well up and left to croc media...never congratulated Robbo on the appointment.. For all the airs and graces he trys to put on, he will always be remembered by me, as the bloke who was beaten by Robbo the entertaining, knock about, beer swilling sort of bloke... who struggles at times to put two words together...Think that pretty well sums up who is the biggest scumbag.
Yeah, familiar with the story. Still love hearing it. Croc Media. Hutchy, Pickers, Dr Turf, & Barrett. Well isn't that just the creme de la creme of media credibility.

Robbo has a soft spot for the lions, I like his opinions on us. GW speaks about us through his teeth, he can't stomach us and our position, he deals fair more comfortably with what's good in this world - he was a fitzoy boy but jumped on the cats during the merger IIRC?

I must admit, underwhelmed with the appointment if Francis for warren. It's an important role IMO and I was hoping for someone with a bit of experience and knowledge. Feels a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Funny to see Leigh say he told Swan to watch for a year, decide what's not working and swing the axe if need be - and it looks like an administrative nuclear bomb has been detonated - long over due. Whether or not these guys are the right candidates or not, they collectively haven't bought us any success I their various roles and a clean out was needed. Good luck to all in their future endeavors.

Leigh Matthews
“The wheels can turn very quickly. But the thing I would emphasise is they don’t turn unless you make them turn. That requires change. In the urge to find a better way, learning from history, you have to be prepared to change to find a better way.”

Brilliant! The man still has a way rallying the team and supporters!

He should be President! Interesting the article only mentions him and Swanny - no mention of Bob Sharpless.

He should be President! Interesting the article only mentions him and Swanny - no mention of Bob Sharpless.

They were doing a presser and are doing a review of the football department - Leigh's a much bigger name for the former, and has the football experience for the latter. Makes sense to me. :)

I must admit, underwhelmed with the appointment if Francis for warren. It's an important role IMO and I was hoping for someone with a bit of experience and knowledge. Feels a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Funny to see Leigh say he told Swan to watch for a year, decide what's not working and swing the axe if need be - and it looks like an administrative nuclear bomb has been detonated - long over due. Whether or not these guys are the right candidates or not, they collectively haven't bought us any success I their various roles and a clean out was needed. Good luck to all in their future endeavors.

I'm underwhelmed as well, Glad someone else said that :). I'm now awaiting the announcement of who is going to replace Brett Burton given the language in the article mentioned above from Leigh, indicated someone had been found and they were "comfortable" with the candidates. Sounds Like the replacement is the best of a reasonably good lot. Doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence with this one either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo has a soft spot for the lions, I like his opinions on us. GW speaks about us through his teeth, he can't stomach us and our position, he deals fair more comfortably with what's good in this world - he was a fitzoy boy but jumped on the cats during the merger IIRC?

I've got the same vibe from them.

It's a shame, because Gerard is generally a pretty solid journalist IMO, but he doesn't like us as an organization for one reason or another. He talks about us differently to the way he talks about other struggling sides I think, so that history is interesting.

Robbo on the other hand is really not much of a journalist, but he can be entertaining and impulsively gets behind underdogs and unfashionable causes. Generally I like that impulse, but his Essendon coverage soured me on him a bit.

Huge respect for Gerard Whateley. One of my favourite sports journos. Sports lover and is knowledgeable and can commentate many sports. I have definitely noticed a lack of love for the Lions. Found an old article and I would now suspect that it is the merger that doesn't sit right with him.

"He and his father would go along every week to watch a match (AFL), and while young Gerard was a Fitzroy barracker"

Fair enough I guess but interestingly enough he has mentioned numerous times that he believes mergers of Victorian teams is inevitable including a possible re-location to Tasmania.

I've never really noticed GW's antipathy toward the Lions, although I hear other people talk about it a lot. I never watch AFL360, but I listen to a lot of him on Grandstand.

I've never really noticed GW's antipathy toward the Lions, although I hear other people talk about it a lot. I never watch AFL360, but I listen to a lot of him on Grandstand.
I think the difference with GW is that he remains pretty objective albeit with a personal opinion as you would expect. Still regard him as one of the best TV footy journos going around and AFL 360 is generally watchable although I still marvel at Robbo. A modern day Scotty Palmer - keep punching!

I watch AFL 360 a lot and I haven't notice it - I think people might be jumping at shadows a bit. We are fairly crap on and off field, so its pretty hard to be rosy about us as a Club at the moment.

I had never heard of Whateley's Fitzroy links; he may have jumped ship before the merger given what I have heard him say about Geelong. In fact the article linked to above says that he crossed to Geelong after watching Gary Ablett Senior and then meeting his future wife who was a Geelong supporter. So he could have cross over sometime between 1990 - 1996 (the article implies Whately was born in 1973). Oh well, each to their own - he certainly took the easier path (but then again he missed out on some unforgettable moments in Lions heaven with the premierships / celebrations at Brunswick St Oval in '01, '02 and '03).

Fair enough. I wouldn't say I had detected antipathy, that's probably too strong. I think he's a very good journalist, but I do get a persistent sense that he tends towards neutral to negative sentiment even in our rare good moments.

Then again, I'm open to the idea that I'm just biased and over-sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back