News Kelly and Stokes to announce retirements Wednesday

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Is SJ is gone then surely that is it for Danger

He has to have committed.

I really thought of all the players SJ had one more year. Esp given he had those stress fractures from last years finals series. He did it and had all of Jan Feb off too

Yeah out of position he is.

Anyway I'm quite confident he won't be told to move on, like Stokes, Kelly and now Johnson.
He's not, he's got another year guaranteed. Another stupid decision by the GFC.

Great careers from both players. Kelly underrated a lot during the golden era whilst surrounded by so many elite players but was a great footballer. And massive respect to Stokes, I wrote him off after 2012 only to bounce back as a mid and give us his two best years, amazing turnaround. Congrats to both, Kelly maybe a little unlucky, has played some good footy this year while battling some unlucky injuries, hopefully it sets us up going forward. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::footy::footy::footy:
Some of these blokes will retire gracefully, others might need to be dragged out kicking and screaming.. like a certain bald-headed gentleman who shall remain nameless :(

Love them both but if you were weighing up whether to keep one of Johnson or Bartel to play in a forward pocket next year, you'd pick Johnson everyday of the week. His 2nd half of the year was actually very good, and getting rid of your 2nd highest goal scorer for the year is absurd. There's no quotes from any parties on this that matter so far so fingers crossed we aren't too stupid about this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do not evade the swear filter
I will spit it if they cut SJ.
as in, call me in 5 years. I'm done.

-mod edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Just on Stokes - it just goes to show how a little bit of luck or fate can help you (Stokes) and helped Geelong Footy Club

Cameron Thurley was the small forward at Geelong - GFC offered him a one year extension on his contract - Nth Melb offered him a 2 year contract - so for security he took Norths offer . Wells said that was the trigger to look up who was available - he plucked Stokes from no where - i heard Stokes on Marngrook say he thought he was a million to one to get drafted - until Geelong rang him

Also on Marngrook - they showed Stokes as a young kid playing basketball - i might have this wrong - but as a 15 /16 year old i think he was in all the state representative teams - so it was a bit of surprise he kept getting overlooked - especially considering hes such a good kick

I reckon Stokes had some good duels with Grant Birchall of Hawthorn - they played on each other quite often - and there was a bit of friction between those 2 - even the 2013 PF - in which Stokes played very well - Birchall hit him with a classic shirt front in that 3rd qtr

His 2013 season was very good - good skills - good football brain - but hes making the correct decision to call it a day

Yep, I played basketball with him in Darwin. Good bloke, very good at both sports.

It's going to be weird seeing Johnson play for another team. Like Chapman before him. Then again I never had any issue seeing Pods, Hunt and Byrnes play for another team.
But we were still travelling well
If we are mid table it will be a different feeling

Mate....the make-up of the Geelong team is going to look totally weird and totally different....this is a new era.

I can live with that no problem, I just hated seeing Chapman play for Essenedon every celebration he made after goals made me feel sick. As selfish as it is for me to say. Can you imagine Johnson playing on for a team like Collingwood, in front of a large toothless crowd cheering after he kicks a miraculous goal makes me want to throw up.

Wow,the contenders for Dumbest Post of 2015 just keep coming
Look mate I'm not going to cop a guy playing Sam Mitchells role for us who averages 5.5 contested possessions a game, it's deplorable and sets a really poor example for the kids in the team. We can't afford to have a slow outside player like Bartel coming off half back in the team anymore especially if we want to turn it around next year and make the finals. Name one comparable player that plays off half back in a top 8 side this year?

Look mate I'm not going to cop a guy playing Sam Mitchells role for us who averages 5.5 contested possessions a game, it's deplorable and sets a really poor example for the kids in the team. We can't afford to have a slow outside player like Bartel coming off half back in the team anymore especially if we want to turn it around next year and make the finals. Name one comparable player that plays off half back in a top 8 side this year?
Jub doesn't watch footy.
He watches meme programs

SJ was on ABC radio Saturday Morning - and they asked him about next year

He calmly said - if you looked at his half season - you could see why they would want to finish him up - but he said was happy with his 2nd half of the reason - and he actually said - he thought he could form a good partnership with Dan Menzel in the Geelong forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back