News 2022 Geelong Retirements

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Mitch Duncan contracted for 2023?

Has looked a little slow past few weeks I’ve thought, injuries might’ve caught up to him. Wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls pin on a high.

Contracted til 2024 same as danger

Just squeezed out of his preferred position at Geelong (onballer/high half forward). Honestly, we only got the best of Dalhaus for one year - unfairly maligned IMO. Not a natural forward pocket.

I assume no clubs came calling at the end of the year, hence the retirement at age 30.
Wasn't there talk of his looking at a medical retirement last year due to his knee, but that wasn't accepted - maybe that was also a concern for clubs

He was a solid player in the VFL and depending what he's looking at doing, we could do worse than keep him involved at that level & helping with the development of the next generation

Just squeezed out of his preferred position at Geelong (onballer/high half forward). Honestly, we only got the best of Dalhaus for one year - unfairly maligned IMO. Not a natural forward pocket.

I assume no clubs came calling at the end of the year, hence the retirement at age 30.

Its more his body is physically done at afl level i think.
But at vfl or local level he could still go ok.
I wouldnt be against us having him on the vfl list ala ryan abbott if dahl still wants to work with our kids.
Although i assume anglesea and a stack of clubs will call if he wants to play GFL/BFL.

When he was called upon at late notice he played some bloody good footy this year as well.
The late midfield call up and played some vintage Dalhaus footy which was a good send off..

Yeah that game where he was a late late callup for his cousin and actually played very well is a touch for his last game.

I think we forget that after years of injury prone small forwards, Menzel, McCarthy, Cockatoo, Dahl and Rohan were brought in for very little trade cost, and suddenly we had some experienced support for Hawkins and some great pressure in the 50.
Dahl didn’t get enough possessions for our liking, but the MC valued his pressure and his role play.
Plus he was a cheery presence around the club.

I think we forget that after years of injury prone small forwards, Menzel, McCarthy, Cockatoo, Dahl and Rohan were brought in for very little trade cost, and suddenly we had some experienced support for Hawkins and some great pressure in the 50.
Dahl didn’t get enough possessions for our liking, but the MC valued his pressure and his role play.
Plus he was a cheery presence around the club.

He was fantastic in pressure and really set the example for Miers and Close to follow. He should be proud of his achievements in making those guys better…

Expected retirement from Dahl today, one thing is for sure despite his physical limitations he put everything on the line every time he crossed onto the field, as others have mentioned he was played out of position/role compared to what our gameplan was but was probably one of the keys to our kids learning about how to enforce forward pressure on opponents which has led somewhat to our success this year. All the best Luke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might not have been a star but no one could question his work ethic. It was obvious that he was respected by the other players when they got around him after he goaled or assested in a goal.
And we forget that in younger days he was a gun.

His last game for us may have been his best for us I reckon.

Retired: Selwood, Higgins, Dahlhaus
Delisted: Stevens, Narkle, Evans, Tsapatolis, Williams
That makes 8 players leaving.
4 in the draft
and who are the other 4 that will come in?
Perhaps Stevens in the pre-season draft if he's still available.
I'm not excited about bringing in high paid cast offs from GWS etc.

Retired: Selwood, Higgins, Dahlhaus
Delisted: Stevens, Narkle, Evans, Tsapatolis, Williams
That makes 8 players leaving.
4 in the draft
and who are the other 4 that will come in?
Perhaps Stevens in the pre-season draft if he's still available.
I'm not excited about bringing in high paid cast offs from GWS etc.

Gotta upgrade Close and Atkins, Bruhn is coming, Ollie likely and Bowes is a big chance.

Gotta upgrade Close and Atkins, Bruhn is coming, Ollie likely and Bowes is a big chance.
We delist Stevens who is a 193cm athletic 20 year old Geelong local (via Geelong Grammar) with serious potential and we bring in highly paid players like Tanner Bruhn (also 20 years old and via Geelong Grammar) who won't have half the motivation. We should develop our drafted players. What's the expression - A bird in the hand...

We delist Stevens who is a 193cm athletic 20 year old Geelong local (via Geelong Grammar) with serious potential and we bring in highly paid players like Tanner Bruhn (also 20 years old and via Geelong Grammar) who won't have half the motivation. We should develop our drafted players. What's the expression - A bird in the hand...

Simple: they want to play for a good side and compete for silverware. At this stage there is only one vacancy in the flag team and it’s being filled by max holmes. If they want to earn their spot they will need to do it the right way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back