Where Do the Swans Go From Here?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are valid queries at this stage.

Swans depth looks questionable, and has done for a few years. Lots of eggs in one basket, with the top end looking good, but a lack of competent underlings.

Jetta gone means that Swans transition play loses an outlet. Malceski's loss at the end of 2014, undoubtedly hindered it also, with seemingly no ready made replacement.

Ruck is a weakness, with Luenberger who doesn't have a great track record of staying fit, the possible recruit.

Backline is going to be weaker again in 2016, unless they unearth someone or trade in another Richard's project.

Question marks over just what Franklin is going to be capable of going forward, too.

We are going after Michael Talia from the Bulldogs (at least that is the rumour) and he feels like he could easily be a Ted Richards type in the future.

Yeah looking at your summation we are prob going to finish bottom 4.

Your words....

Personally I think bottom half of the 8, maybe missing if things dont go right.. There is enough quality in the midfield to win enough games. Serious issues in defence and ruck and with Goodes there no more, they really need Reid and Buddy to be on the park regularly, Tippett cant do it on his own.

We are going after Michael Talia from the Bulldogs (at least that is the rumour) and he feels like he could easily be a Ted Richards type in the future.
You're after someone else as well, for that role.

Swans season ends, swans written off

How new and original. Same every year

Do you not think you're being a bit hysterical? They have been backed by most to challenge the past few years, and rightly so.

Goodes and Shaw have retired. Richards, McVeigh and Grundy are looking tired. Buddy has a huge cloud over him at the moment, Reid always does. Jetta is leaving and Rohan hasn't reached potential hurting their run. Pike is cooked.

Hanneberry, Parker, Heeney, JPK, Smith, Tippett, Jack (x2) and Mitchell are all top shelf but there are serious questions about the depth of the list for the first time in years.

Who is that?

If the Swans can get a fringe KPD and a fringe ruckman in the trade period plus Mills then I will consider the offseason to be a massive win. Ideally (though obviously difficult) I would love to end up with Talia from the Bulldogs and Sinclair from the Eagles.

He'd be very, very useful and could work well in tandem with Tippett.

Do you not think you're being a bit hysterical? They have been backed by most to challenge the past few years, and rightly so.

Goodes and Shaw have retired. Richards, McVeigh and Grundy are looking old. Buddy has a huge cloud over him at the moment, Reid always does. Jetta is leaving and Rohan hasn't reached potential hurting their run. Pike is cooked.

Hanneberry, Parker, Heeney, JPK, Smith, Tippett, Jack (x2) and Mitchell are all top shelf but there are serious questions about the depth of the list for the first time in years.

I am not so worried.

Goodes played very well in the last 2 weeks but for the rest of the year he was a bit in and out in terms of performance
Jetta when in form is amazing, one of our best players, but when he can't be bothered he is also one of our worst
Shaw played really well in the last 6 weeks but before then had very average form.

Next year in terms of age (under 30) our team will consist of

Sydney Swans
B: Nick Smith, XXXX, Jeremy Laidler
HB: Gary Rohan, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Harry Cunningham
HF: Tom Mitchell, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Sam Reid, Kurt Tippett, XXXX
R: XXXX, Luke Parker, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Dean Towers, XXXX, Jake Lloyd, Isaac Heeney

So the Swans really have 4 spots up for grabs. We have guys like B.Jack and Rose who have shown signs but for the purpose of this I decided to only include guys I know who can play. Mills will very likely make the best 22 next year as well given how highly he is rated.

Am I the only one who things Talia is undersized as a KPD and a complete turnover merchant?

Probably not a player I'd be targeting with Dane Rampe already on the list.

Am I the only one who things Talia is undersized as a KPD and a complete turnover merchant?

Rampe isn't too bad at all. Also Talia may not be ideally but he would fill a definite need at the Swans. Guys like Ted Richards improved a lot when coming here. I highly doubt any Essendon fan expected him to become as good as he became.

Rampe isn't too bad at all. Also Talia may not be ideally but he would fill a definite need at the Swans. Guys like Ted Richards improved a lot when coming here. I highly doubt any Essendon fan expected him to become as good as he became.

Surely you guys would be better off going for a genuine KPD, rather than Talia who would ideally play as a third tall defender? How is Allir Allir tracking? KPD stocks seem incredibly thin at the Swans.

Dean Towers was excellent in the last 3 games of the season (against Gold Coast, Fremantle and then North Melbourne). He has completely converted me and was probably the best Swan on the ground against Gold Coast and Fremantle.

Well I'm just glad he's finally made an impact as a mature age player taken in the first round.

Gary Rohan surely can't continue to be thought of as an AFL standard player? Injured all the time, and pretty ordinary when he's not.

I am not so worried.

Goodes played very well in the last 2 weeks but for the rest of the year he was a bit in and out in terms of performance
Jetta when in form is amazing, one of our best players, but when he can't be bothered he is also one of our worst
Shaw played really well in the last 6 weeks but before then had very average form.

Next year in terms of age (under 30) our team will consist of

Sydney Swans
B: Nick Smith, XXXX, Jeremy Laidler
HB: Gary Rohan, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Harry Cunningham
HF: Tom Mitchell, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Sam Reid, Kurt Tippett, XXXX
R: XXXX, Luke Parker, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Dean Towers, XXXX, Jake Lloyd, Isaac Heeney

So the Swans really have 4 spots up for grabs. We have guys like B.Jack and Rose who have shown signs but for the purpose of this I decided to only include guys I know who can play. Mills will very likely make the best 22 next year as well given how highly he is rated.

The Swans are in a very similar position to what Hawthorn were in 2009-2011. Have some real quality players, but also have some holes.

After 2008 we were in desperate need of a Key defender (picked up Lake & Frawley), ruckman (picked up McEvoy & Hale), outside midfielders (drafted Smith & Hill), small forwards (drafted Bruest & Puopulo). You could also say that Sydney need a couple of running back flankers.

Luckily for the Swans, they have the hard part sorted with quality inside midfielders, and quality Key Forwards (As Hawthorn did with Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Roughead and Franklin). All these remaining holes can be plugged pretty quickly.

Swans may dip slightly for a year or 2 (can still easily finish top 4). But will bounce back very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Rohan surely can't continue to be thought of as an AFL standard player? Injured all the time, and pretty ordinary when he's not.
Is that sarcasm?

I'll give you that Rohan is injured a lot, mainly because he has no fear at contests. However he played some excellent games for the Swans this season, particularly early on. He is lightning quick, courageous, good mark and a decent shot at goal. He's suffered with missing a year through injury and being shuffled around between forward and back lines, but if you're going to pick a Swan to deride, I'd suggest Rohan shouldn't be near the top of your list.

Is that sarcasm?

I'll give you that Rohan is injured a lot, mainly because he has no fear at contests. However he played some excellent games for the Swans this season, particularly early on. He is lightning quick, courageous, good mark and a decent shot at goal. He's suffered with missing a year through injury and being shuffled around between forward and back lines, but if you're going to pick a Swan to deride, I'd suggest Rohan shouldn't be near the top of your list.

You've either got very low standards, or you're deluded. The bloke averaged 11 possessions a game this year, in what may have been his best season since he was drafted. There's no denying his positive attributes, he is quick, he does have good hands, he is not a bad kick, but the fact remains that he is unable to find the footy. Not sure how long you can carry that kind of player in your team. Hasn't improved in 6 years on the list, after being pick 6. Trade bait, I'd have thought.

Surely you guys would be better off going for a genuine KPD, rather than Talia who would ideally play as a third tall defender? How is Allir Allir tracking? KPD stocks seem incredibly thin at the Swans.

Well I'm just glad he's finally made an impact as a mature age player taken in the first round.

Talia third tall? he is 194cm and plays fullback or CHB? This post suggests you don't really know much about much champion.

You've either got very low standards, or you're deluded. The bloke averaged 11 possessions a game this year, in what may have been his best season since he was drafted. There's no denying his positive attributes, he is quick, he does have good hands, he is not a bad kick, but the fact remains that he is unable to find the footy. Not sure how long you can carry that kind of player in your team. Hasn't improved in 6 years on the list, after being pick 6. Trade bait, I'd have thought.

Are you one of those blokes that judges players on Supercoach scores? Pretty sort sighted and ill informed opinion of Gary Rohan.

Are you one of those blokes that judges players on Supercoach scores? Pretty sort sighted and ill informed opinion of Gary Rohan.

Are you one of those Swans fans who sits around in their little red hat and scarf, clapping the famous numbers 23 and 37 for reasons that are beyond you?

Please talk me through why Gary Rohan, pick 6 in the 2009 draft, should not be under the pump? "Oh but he had a bad injury 4 years ago". Was shit before it, is shit now.

You mean to say he's shorter than noted 3rd defender Lachie Hansen?

He plays CHB/FB at the Dogs for lack of other options.

"Champion".
If you actually understood the Dogs game plan you would know he wasn't getting a game because he didn't have to mobility to fit into Beverages game plan. having said that I'm sure you think you know all this because judging from your precious posts you are trying incredibly hard to come across as a bloke who knows everything about everything when in actual fact as pointed out earlier its seems you know nothing about nothing.

Are you one of those Swans fans who sits around in their little red hat and scarf, clapping the famous numbers 23 and 37 for reasons that are beyond you?

Please talk me through why Gary Rohan, pick 6 in the 2009 draft, should not be under the pump? "Oh but he had a bad injury 4 years ago". Was shit before it, is shit now.
Yeah you're right champ, doesn't get big supercoach tons, must be no good.

If you actually understood the Dogs game plan you would know he wasn't getting a game because he didn't have to mobility to fit into Beverages game plan. having said that I'm sure you think you know all this because judging from your precious posts you are trying incredibly hard to come across as a bloke who knows everything about everything when in actual fact as pointed out earlier its seems you know nothing about nothing.

Sure you're not mixing up Talia with his brother, or even Jordan Roughead? Michael Talia is reasonably poor one-on-one, but ok as a rebounding type.

I sincerely hope you've confused him with someone, because your posting is absolutely embarrassing otherwise.

yeah he is 194cm and 95kgs which would make him biggest key defender if he came across, so yeah you are the only one at this stage who thinks he is undersized. Talia plays nothing like Rampe, please educate yourself before making idiotic comments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back