Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither. They have a good team and a gameplan that is built for the MCG, but this year's Hawthorn is not world-beating.

By definition, they are. No one was even remotely in their class when it mattered.

But what an absolutely phenomenal 3 years it's been for us. Bullshit scandal that has torn the club down and an arch-rival achieving a three-peat.

******* enough, seriously.

By definition, they are. No one was even remotely in their class when it mattered.

But what an absolutely phenomenal 3 years it's been for us. Bullshit scandal that has torn the club down and an arch-rival achieving a three-peat.

******* enough, seriously.
At least we have paraded all over their 3-peat ;)

Pfft. Come the CAS outcome, who will remember the 3-peat? :p

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they win next year too. Their older blokes are still playing to an exceptionally high standard and aren't reliant on pace. Can see both Sydney and Freo dropping off a bit and I'm not sure West Coast can back up.

Ugh.

Yeah and Brisbane never topped the ladder.

If you win you win - simple.

There was nothing Bradbury about the flogging they handed out today. Good on them and die.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they win next year too. Their older blokes are still playing to an exceptionally high standard and aren't reliant on pace. Can see both Sydney and Freo dropping off a bit and I'm not sure West Coast can back up.

Ugh.

Yes, the moral of the story, good defensive footy and good attacking footy into a well structured forward line, this game just never changes yet we seem to have forgotten the basics over recent seasons.

I don't value a premiership team highly when they've lost 7 games for the year.
I cannot agree. In this sport it is all about winning the final game of the season, what happens up to that point is basically irrelevant. In the H & A season, no team was clearly dominant anyway. The Hawks are, just as the Lions of 01-04 were, a supreme finals footy team. They just play frustratingly brilliant footy when it matters most. I am frustrated and angry they have won again, but I accept that they are a phenomenal team.

On today, West Coast had their chances. I feel like it could have been a different result if that first quarter turned out differently. I think they should have been up by 2 goals at 1/4 time and it changes the outlook of the game. Same deal in the first 15 minutes of the third quarter.

But just as it is in most sports in the most important matches, it is those who take their opportunities when they present, that come out on top.

Congratulations to Hawthorn.

Yeah and Brisbane never topped the ladder.

If you win you win - simple.

There was nothing Bradbury about the flogging they handed out today. Good on them and die.

Never rated Brisbane's three peat that highly because they never topped the ladder. Though they never lost 7 games in a year.

I cannot agree. In this sport it is all about winning the final game of the season, what happens up to that point is basically irrelevant. In the H & A season, no team was clearly dominant anyway. The Hawks are, just as the Lions of 01-04 were, a supreme finals footy team. They just play frustratingly brilliant footy when it matters most. I am frustrated and angry they have won again, but I accept that they are a phenomenal team.

On today, West Coast had their chances. I feel like it could have been a different result if that first quarter turned out differently. I think they should have been up by 2 goals at 1/4 time and it changes the outlook of the game. Same deal in the first 15 minutes of the third quarter.

But just as it is in most sports in the most important matches, it is those who take their opportunities when they present, that come out on top.

Congratulations to Hawthorn.

Who says I am not congratulating Hawthorn - Making the point that i don't rate hawthorn's 2015 premiership as highly as 2008 or 2013 or 2014. And i further downgrade a premiership if you lose a finals game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expansion teams coming in = good time to be good.
It has totally changed the outlook of the competition. Nothing against Hawthorn, they have produced the goods. But the number of top level talent that made its way to the Suns and GWS over the past 5-6 years has definitely prevented some teams from pushing up again and keeping those at the top there a bit longer than normal.

Who says I am not congratulating Hawthorn - Making the point that i don't rate hawthorn's 2015 premiership as highly as 2008 or 2013 or 2014. And i further downgrade a premiership if you lose a finals game.
There first 4 losses of the year for the Hawks were by a combined 24 points. All matches they easily could have won. When you have ageing players, you manage as best you can and you can't dominate a season.

In the finals they smashed Adelaide, dominated Freo in Perth and annihilated the Eagles in Melbourne. Very impressive.

Brisbane lost 8 games in 2003 (which includes their first final)

There was also a draw.

So, all up, they had 9 games they failed to win in 2003.

Brisbane in 2003 were a poor premiership team - They never dominated a season.

There first 4 losses of the year for the Hawks were by a combined 24 points. All matches they easily could have won. When you have ageing players, you manage as best you can and you can't dominate a season.

In the finals they smashed Adelaide, dominated Freo in Perth and annihilated the Eagles in Melbourne. Very impressive.

I dont rate premiership teams who lose 7 games in a season - And I rate them less when they lose a final.

Winning lots of games shows a level of consistency at the pointy end - Hawthorn were inconsistent in 2015,especially compared to 12 and 13 and 14.

Never rated Brisbane's three peat that highly because they never topped the ladder. Though they never lost 7 games in a year.

A lot of factors could mean more losses in the home and away season. Every team going to school on your game plan for the previous (premiership winning) years for starters.

Do you factor that into your rating system?

Last edited:
Credit where credit is due. They deserve to be named among the great teams of history in terms of success.

That being said, my opinion is that they'd lose to most premiership teams of Swans, Eagles, Cats (09/11 but would beat 07 Cats), and would lose to Collingwood 10 and probably Saints. Freo/Eagles just don't compare in a finals footy sense. In that way they're not a premiership team who's best would win in the peak years of the last decade but having said that, they've been able to play great footy for a long time so in that respect they're better. They also should not have made the GF last year when gifted the prelim against Port and they shouldn't have made the losing grand final in 12 when gifted the prelim against Crows. In 13 and 15 they deserved to be there and win so from my perspective they've validly won 2 premierships in the last 3 years and 3 in the last 7 years. But of course my opinion doesn't matter when it comes to the history books and that's the way it goes. I'd love for Essendon to have just one of those cups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back