Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit where credit is due. They deserve to be named among the great teams of history in terms of success.

That being said, my opinion is that they'd lose to most premiership teams of Swans, Eagles, Cats (09/11 but would beat 07 Cats), and would lose to Collingwood 10 and probably Saints. Free/Eagles just don't compare in a finals footy sense. In that way they're not a premiership team who's best would win in the peak years of the last decade but having said that, they've been able to play great footy for a long time so in that respect they're better. They also should not have made the GF last year when gifted the prelim against Port and they shouldn't have made the losing grand final in 12 when gifted the prelim against Crows.

Their gameplan would take massive dumps all over 2005/6 Sydney and Eagles

Their gameplan would take massive dumps all over 2005/6 Sydney and Eagles

Hawks have the benefit of hindsight. Eagles/Swans didn't. Give the latter a chance to adjust and my opinion is Hawks wouldn't beat them.

I don't value a premiership team highly when they've lost 7 games for the year.

Neither. They have a good team and a gameplan that is built for the MCG, but this year's Hawthorn is not world-beating.

Never rated Brisbane's three peat that highly because they never topped the ladder. Though they never lost 7 games in a year.

Just utter nonsense. A premiership is a premiership.

3 in a row is ******* amazing, you cannot discredit them in any way whatsoever.

If this was Essendon we'd be ******* beside ourselves, not saying "Oh if we only won those games in round 6, 9 and 16 we'd be a better premiership side"

* you Hawthorn, but well done and much respect.

But seriously, you can * off now.

If this was Essendon we'd be ******* beside ourselves, not saying "Oh if we only won those games in round 6, 9 and 16 we'd be a better premiership side"

**** you Hawthorn, but well done and much respect.

But seriously, you can **** off now.

Hey, if you don't want to engage in this kind of discussion, you don't have to.

That it is an incredible achievement goes without saying. So I felt no need to say it.

If this was ******* Essendon i'd be pulling my **** till ******* Christmas.

So would every single.******* one of youse and i dont give a ****.what you say.

Who says I am not congratulating Hawthorn - Making the point that i don't rate hawthorn's 2015 premiership as highly as 2008 or 2013 or 2014. And i further downgrade a premiership if you lose a finals game.

Who gives a crap which year is rated higher. Winning the last game of the year is all that counts.
You could rate our 2000 year as the best ever but the simple fact is over that era we under achieved .

Downgrading a premiership, what a crock of s**t.

The thing that stands out to me is that winning 4 flags in this era meant running into some seriously good teams. It makes the achievement all the more remarkable. Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood were powerhouses as premiers and runners up. Even getting past Fremantle in 2013 and 2015 and Port of 2014 was a challenge enough.

I take the completely opposite point of view to Yaco. If I'm comparing the three peat of Brisbane vs that of Hawthorn my starting point would be the quality of the competition against which the premierships were won. I'd still put Hawthorn on top because they've battled a much stronger top 4 or 5 than what Brisbane did.

If there is anything about 2000 that underwhelms when I look back on it, it is that there was not one other decent team. I would not rate any of our opponents in 2000 in this years top 6. It's the thing that made the 1993 Premiership remarkable, winning a flag against the remnants of the Hawks premiership dynasty, the state sides of South Australia and Western Australia, Carlton which was powerful team and which would have one of the most comprehensive premiership seasons only 2 years later, Geelong which played off in 4 grand finals in the space of 7 years during that period and North which was a perennial top 4 team and ended up winning a flag in the same era.

Last edited:
If this was ******* Essendon i'd be pulling my **** till ******* Christmas.

So would every single.******* one of youse and i dont give a ****.what you say.

Quality post

Already seen some talk about "Fourthorn", and I just can't handle it. I wasn't old enough to appreciate 2000, I thought we'd just keep winning and dominating. Let's get this rebuild right and be up there challenging the best sides again because * me, three years of this nonsense is more than enough.

Jesus...I've never read so much s**t in my life here.

Discrediting premierships because they lost a final, assuming other premiership sides would've beaten them on the day etc?? What a crock of s**t!!

I actually believe their last 2 wins have been so clinical, I doubt many sides would've got near them. West Coast apart from a 10 min window could never get going & that chance was just as quickly snuffed out as it appeared!

This club is incredible the way they recruit, manage & develop their players & deserve all the credit in the world as much as it pains me to say because I hate the pricks. In an era where there's 18 teams, draft priviliges been granted to GWS & GC etc, their achievement is all the more meritorious. And if it means player management was prioritised over winning games during H&A to get the ultimate then that's even more impressive.

But * me, looking for ways to discredit them is just clutching.

Last edited:
Another strange thing about yesterday is that while West Coast looks a more imposing team than North and they completely controlled North in the second half yesterday I doubt the result would have been decided before 3/4 time if North made it.

Last edited:
been watching a lot of footy since 89. I can't recall a better team over 3 years.
We still hold the most dominant of all seasons, but this has to be the most dominant era in the AFL.

they might lose Hale from this team, with Ceglar in waiting.
Mitchell and Hodge haven't slowed. Hartung, Anderson, O'Rourke coming through

4 is on the cards. I can't help but be impressed.

The thing that stands out to me is that winning 4 flags in this era meant running into some seriously good teams. It makes the achievement all the more remarkable. Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood were powerhouses as premiers and runners up. Even getting past Fremantle in 2013 and 2015 and Port of 2014 was a challenge enough.

I take the completely opposite point of view to Yaco. If I'm comparing the three peat of Brisbane vs that of Hawthorn my starting point would be the quality of the competition against which the premierships were won. I'd still put Hawthorn on top because they've battled a much stronger top 4 or 5 than what Brisbane did.

If there is anything about 2000 that underwhelms when I look back on it, it is that there was not one other decent team. I would not rate any of our opponents in 2000 in this years top 6. It's the thing that made the 1993 Premiership remarkable, winning a flag against the remnants of the Hawks premiership dynasty, the state sides of South Australia and Western Australia, Carlton which was powerful team and which would have one of the most comprehensive premiership seasons only 2 years later, Geelong which played off in 4 grand finals in the space of 7 years during that period and North which was a perennial top 4 team and ended up winning a flag in the same era.

2000 was strange in that sense, however there were a few okay teams who just couldn't go with us, ironically Hawhorn was one of them, I recall we played them and at that stage we were top two and it looked like a return to the 1980s, but when the match happened we blew them off the park, they lost Crawford to injury and faded after that match.

(I've checked and it appears that it was 2001 that we beat Hawthorn in the battle of the top two match)

Both Carlton and North were competitive when we played them in the H&A but we were never threatened come the finals.

I think the current Hawks side is on par with its 1980s side, and thanks to our win over them earlier in the season, they had to travel to Perth twice and yet on a warm day, were still able to run over the WCE. That is what a good side does. Considering we have remained competitive against them should give us confidence that with the right game plan, good structures and when certain issues go away then we are well placed as are a few other clubs to challenge them over the next two years or so.

Last edited:
It's bullshit. You're receiving the award, not your kid.

And given the number of them who do it I'm guessing it's all to do with this "We're the family club" horseshit.

So basically Yaco, there should just be no finals.

I rate the quality of a premiership team by wins and losses throughout the season - The more wins the better, losing a final's match and then winning the premiership is rated lower in my opinion.

As an example, I rate Hawthorn's 2014 premiership higher than 2015 because they lost fewer games, had a poor run with injuries and had better opposition in the finals.

Last edited:

My post is about rankings - Rating premiership teams from year to year - Sorry that I rate Hawthorn's 2014 premiership far higher than 2015 premiership.

Strangest thing is I posted during the year that the Hawks were losing too many games - So this is not a hindsight reflection post.

It's bullshit. You're receiving the award, not your kid.

And given the number of them who do it I'm guessing it's all to do with this "We're the family club" horseshit.

I agree I'm not a fan of it.

You've just won a flag, celebrate it with your team mates. Theres still plenty of time to celebrate with your family latter on. If every player brings their wives and kids and parents and siblings onto the ground it ends up as a farce.
You should be able to carry on without worrying about standing on a toddler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back