Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can we have more Clarkos pulling the pin on the dynasty and coming to coach us rumours please. Where is CamFree when you need him.

funny isn't it?

clarko is a regular coaching factory, churning out guys who go on to do well and succeed. none of them better him though.

its almost as if he doesn't give away the special stuff.

funny isn't it?

clarko is a regular coaching factory, churning out guys who go on to do well and succeed. none of them better him though.

its almost as if he doesn't give away the special stuff.
Hawthorn has recruited with an focus on guys that can kick a footy. I know this is talked about a lot but I think people still under estimate it. It makes a good coach look great.

Everyone talks about fitness and ground ball but if you can kick straight and not turn the ball over you have to do a lot less work. This was the difference between the sides in the first quarter today.

Last edited:
Hawthorn has recruited with an focus on guys that can kick a footy. I know this is talked about a lot but I think people still underestimate it. It makes a good coach look great.

Everyone talks about fitness and ground ball but if you can kick straight and not turn the ball over you have to do a lot less work. This was the difference between the sides in the first quarter today.
Yep, and their focus, confidence and decision making is sublime. They don't freak out and just bomb it long.

Hawthorn has recruited with an focus on guys that can kick a footy. I know this is talked about a lot but I think people still under estimate it. It makes a good coach look great.

Our problem is finding players that can actually get a kick.

I was having that discussion with my brother. I thought it meant Campo was still midfield coach, it was just an promotion to being the highest ranked assistant? But he was under the impression it meant he would be the new coaches right hand man and we'd also be getting a new midfield coach.

Insert fingers crossed emoji here.

Yep, and their focus, confidence and decision making is sublime. They don't freak out and just bomb it long.

The simple reality is that you're better off getting tackled and pinged than giving up possesion 40m upfield. By the time the call has been made and you slowly get to your feet and give the ball back, your defensive zone has been completely re-set. Hawthorn don't fear getting caught with the ball, they fear giving it up in play.

Assuming Pyke is our next coach ....does he believe in kicking sides or handball sides

Walsh wanted us to be a kicking side .....Hawthorn are a kicking side

Got impression West Coast are a handballing side? ......so what is Pykes gamestyle philosophy?

Hawthorn K:H is much the same as most clubs. The primary difference is the quality of their kicking once they've found space with handball. To compare to us, how often does their first handball in congestion remain inside, requiring a pressured kick out. They always aim to get the ball to someone who has enough time to get the ball to someone else who then has enough time to assess options and use the ball by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn K:H is much the same as most clubs. The primary difference is the quality of their kicking once they've found space with handball. To compare to us, how often does their first handball in congestion remain inside, requiring a pressured kick out. They always aim to get the ball to someone who has enough time to get the ball to someone else who then has enough time to assess options and use the ball by foot.
To follow-up a previous post .....quality kickers and decision makers .....Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne& Shiels .....our midfield great ball hunters but not great kicks or decision makers

To follow-up a previous post .....quality kickers and decision makers .....Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne& Shiels .....our midfield great ball hunters but not great kicks or decision makers

We don't give ourselves anywhere near the time that Hawthorn does to execute their kicking skills. No doubt that we wouldn't be able to anyway, but we should still be getting the ball clear from the stoppage pressure so that the disposal forward isn't under pressure. It won't matter whether we can kick or not u til we develop a method of getting the ball I to the hands of someone who has a bit of time and space.

I agree we could probably do with some more outside speed, but didn't we have the fastest and/or most efficient transfer of ball from defence to offence this year?

We don't give ourselves anywhere near the time that Hawthorn does to execute their kicking skills. No doubt that we wouldn't be able to anyway, but we should still be getting the ball clear from the stoppage pressure so that the disposal forward isn't under pressure. It won't matter whether we can kick or not u til we develop a method of getting the ball I to the hands of someone who has a bit of time and space.
IMO that comes down to the decision making quality of the player with ball in hand ....Mitchell gives the ball to the right player to provide that time ......others give to players flat footed who are immediately tackled ..as an example

Would love to find the next S Burgoyne. It's no coincidence the bloke has played in 31 finals.

Regardless of who our new coach is and what their game plan is, it's quite clear the emphasis from a recruitment standpoint needs to be guys with elite decision making and good to elite disposal.

Also, how good is the leadership framework at the Hawks? Every single bloke who plays has a voice and if just one bloke drops the bundle every last one of them lets him know about it. Outstanding culture.

Would love to find the next S Burgoyne. It's no coincidence the bloke has played in 31 finals.

Regardless of who our new coach is and what their game plan is, it's quite clear the emphasis from a recruitment standpoint needs to be guys with elite decision making and good to elite disposal.

Also, how good is the leadership framework at the Hawks? Every single bloke who plays has a voice and if just one bloke drops the bundle every last one of them lets him know about it. Outstanding culture.
Now a 5 time premiership player .....elite disposal

IMO that comes down to the decision making quality of the player with ball in hand ....Mitchell gives the ball to the right player to provide that time ......others give to players flat footed who are immediately tackled ..as an example
Agree and to add to this often our players are in the right spot to receive but are flat footed.Why? We seem to have quite a few players that don't make good decisions about receiving the ball and having a plan for what to do next to continue swift ball movement. hawks have more time because they consistently move the ball quickly. Our sped of ball movement is very stop start which inevitably leads to turnovers.

I think we wanted Burgoyne the year he was drafted by port power but our crappy coach at the time overruled and went with Lawrence angwin. Am I remembering that correctly?!

Agree and to add to this often our players are in the right spot to receive but are flat footed.Why? We seem to have quite a few players that don't make good decisions about receiving the ball and having a plan for what to do next to continue swift ball movement. hawks have more time because they consistently move the ball quickly. Our sped of ball movement is very stop start which inevitably leads to turnovers.
Oh i think in the second half of the season our ball movement at times was elite and we're the best transition side in the AFL

It's just under finals type pressure .....some players lacked composure and ability to hit targets "consistently" ...we talked a lot about the Craig years and our ability to play good minor round footy and not finals footy.

Brad Crouch is good in these area's ....we need a real point guard in the midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back