List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Draft/FA - SuperMegaUltraThread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of first round probably unlikely as well based on that article - Selwood would have to be in the top 15% of earners over 25 :(
Pretty sure it's under. Otherwise you'd get 33 year olds going for first rounders.

I'm pretty happy to have Sinclair/Lycett there to back up Nic and messing with that would be risky. But I also think Sinclair is a bit of a weakness when Nic is resting and that Lycett isn't going to come on enough in the next 2 years to be a mature enough option. Nic/Cox was a lot stronger than Nic plus whoever we have now.

If we want to really add a weapon to our midfield, which is dabateable, we need to bring in a better quality player than what clubs are putting on the open market for trade. Swapping Sinclair for Jetta for instance would stretch us for depth and no add much. Lycett could demand a club in desperate need of a player to be their no 1 ruck to give up a real quality though. There's a few clubs around who might be willing to give up an awful lot for him. You have to give quality to get quality.

Gov I think could excel in a ruck role as long as Nic is contesting most of the centre bounces. He's plenty big enough to do all that other work around the ground the way Lynchy used to do when Cox needed a rest back in the day.
I would rather GOV give knees rather than cop them as is the case in the ruck.

Play him either back or forward but please no rucking.

Ok I've changed my mind on Stevie J already:D Maybe he could be another Ellis. If we could get him for not much, then maybe he's worth the risk. I know there's talk that he wants some sort of coaching role after, so maybe he's be a good forward coach for the smalls after he's played another season or 2.

I cant see any reason why we would trade out our of our rucks. Crazy in fact. No sub next year we need them.

Gov is no ruck and he body has had trouble with just playing games let alone the bash and crash of the ruck. That and his too small.
Geez posting on the phone with preemptive text is not that great. So many spelling errors.

Earners in terms of current (free agent) salary, not over their careers.
I'm saying that if it was over there would not be many 33 year olds on big contracts hence a 32 year old could go for 300k and get first round compo. Hence it is likely to be top 10% under the players age.

I doubt a single first would secure Bennell, was originally a pick 4? Has happily lived up to that. I would think a first rounder + moderate player would be fair. Just depends if this situation really is a 1 horse race I guess.
Disagree.

He has nominated Freo and we've said we aren't interested. GC have said he isn't wanted and will be traded.

Depends how nice Freo want to be but either way if he behaves that have a bargain.

RE: Veterans list.

"All players who have completed 10 seasons with their club are eligible to be placed on the veterans list, and there is no age requirement for qualification.

Clubs are then able to pay a fixed amount per veteran – $118,380 in 2014 – outside the salary cap."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It must at least be a consideration. The obvious concerns are his motivation after have won three flags at another club, and his ill discipline over the last few years. He's clearly past his best, but he's still a best 22 player at any club, and most important he has big match experience and big match performances. Even games when he doesn't put much on the stat sheet he is still going to take a gun opposition defender out of the equation. The potency of a forward line with JK, JD, Lecca, SJ and the Gov is jizz worthy.

The Johnson from 3 yrs ago yes but he's no good now just a whinging sniper , living on his rep .

Fair point regarding his body but I think Gov's lack of size doesn't matter too much for him in regards to rucking. He is brilliant in the air, has a good body for one on one work and is a natural, intelligent player who knows how to get his hands to the ball and where to tap it. I have no doubt whatsoever he would be handy in the ruck, a la Goodes was. It is, as you say, probably his body holding him back from doing it much.
True.

My opinion is the of very recent times starting rucks and even backup rucks have been huge with reasonable engines. 200+ for starting and maybe minimum 198 backup. I know there is conjecture about Govs height but I think it's around 195. .you thoughts are he is a bit undersized. Another thing 2 genuine rucks have provided us with an advantage this season why would we change that?

[QUOTE
By all accounts he really struggled to get up for each game. I think he's a gun but could see him falling over by round 15. He'd be better in a side that could pick and choose when to play him not Freo who don't have a forward line and RTB would end up running him into the ground.
what about stokes? Worth a shot?

I would rather GOV give knees rather than cop them as is the case in the ruck.

Play him either back or forward but please no rucking.

Ultimately I'd like to see Will Minson find his way here and do a Brian Lake and have Nic and Will play every game and Gov play a variety of roles, including occasional pinch hitting in the ruck. Lycett is going to be a great player but I think we've emerged as premiership contenders a few year early and he's maybe lagging/still needs time to develop. Very tempting to trade him the the Bulldogs for one of their gun mids where he'd immediately step into their no.1 ruck position.

I'm saying that if it was over there would not be many 33 year olds on big contracts hence a 32 year old could go for 300k and get first round compo. Hence it is likely to be top 10% under the players age.
It has to be over as you have to be minimum 25 years to qualify as a free agent . The older players 10+ years service at the one club or 27 years + are most often unristricted free agents and tougher rules apply for compo .

It depends on where the player's salary fits in relation to all players over 25. Whether the player himself is 26, 27, 30, 35 or Dustin Fletcher doesn't matter.

It depends on where the player's salary fits in relation to all players over 25. Whether the player himself is 26, 27, 30, 35 or Dustin Fletcher doesn't matter.
I get you now. Still doesn't make sense as age is a factor in FA.

I get you now. Still doesn't make sense as age is a factor in FA.

Yeah the formula seems to have gone from originally being some complex secret Duckworth-Lewis calculation of age, games played, amount paid, number of top-10 B&F finishes, number of spanners in a Sidchrome tool kit etc, to now being "Well how much are they paying him? OK make it a second rounder"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back